BMR/Griggs 2013 Shelby

Slowponycar

Established Member
I have to give another huge props to Van @ Revan Racing. He has been helping me with my build ever since I got my Shelby last year. As we all know that the stock suspension on our cars isn't all that great. After meeting Birddoc and seeing how happy he was with his BMR stuff I called Van and ordered BMR k member, full rear, upper, lowers, relocation brackets, Ford SVT springs, etc. The setup was night and day from the stock suspension.

I started autocrossing this year, I run in the Street Mod class, which is primarily dominated by Evos and Wrxs, and was always at least 3-4 secs off their times. Granted this was my first year ever attempting auto x and I am running a staggered street tire setup, 255s and 295s Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which really causes my car to understeer really bad in tight turns.

I kept complaining to Van that I am not fast enough to be somewhat competitive for autocross and picked his brain for driving tips. He told me that the next level would be a Griggs Chassis System. He explained the pros and cons to it and for me the pros out weighed the cons. Cons being that there would have to be welding done to the chassis for a torque arm which would add more noise inside the cabin. The diff cover was going to have to be plumbed for my TP diff cooler lines. Pros it will handle like its on rails, you can set the ride height to whatever you want, it can ride better than stock when you change the shock settings, the rear will stay planted in and out of turns with the torque arm and watts link.

After getting the ok from the wife, I ordered the Griggs Super Street Chassis kit w/ the torque arm, watts link,
BMR: non adj A arms, radiator support, and chassis brace
Stainless Steel Brake lines

I had everything installed at C&C Racecraft / London Chassis Dyno. Chad is awesome and did a hell of a job installing everything. He got my suspension dialed in and OMG!!!!

Words really cannot describe the way this car handles. Everything Van said was true. It's like driving a go cart. You point where you want to go and it goes. There is so much more confidence taking turns on twisty roads and on and off ramps. The rear stays planted. First time I drove it with Chad on a test drive, we couldn't believe the feel. The body roll was gone, it no longer felt like I was driving a Mustang anymore, lol. The way it handles on the road is indescribable. The brake lines make a world of difference when you apply the brakes now.

I drove it home and during my 2.5 hr drive I got caught in a huge rain storm. I was freaking out to say the least. No kidding, I am no longer afraid to be caught in the rain anymore. The rear stayed planted, never slid out like it normally would when accelerating. I was so surprised, I was in a downpour and at one point I was doing 80 mph, crazy, stupid, yeah I know, but the rear stayed under the car the whole ride in the rain. When I got closer to home the roads were dry, I took an off ramp with a nice S turn, before I could take it 60-80 range and be pushing it before, well with the Griggs/BMR stuff, no one was in front of me it was clear fyi, I took the S I looked down at the speedometer as I exited and wow. I called Van right after I got home, lol.

I took it to my last autocross event of the year and I was only .5 secs from a modded Evo on race tires who got first. I came in 3 out of 5 and was so happy on how well the car did. Just need to get the right tire setup and hopefully be able to beat the Evos next year.

Here's a vid with my wife on the last run:
Auto X 10-13 - YouTube

Now for Daytona road course in Dec!!!!!! Really looking forward to it.

Slowponycar

Established Member
CampC5_zpsb522575a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC4_zpsb3edd34f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC11_zpse74e3047.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC12_zps2695f72a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC7_zpsa0ff166d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC8_zpse95470e6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC6_zpsdde2c094.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC9_zps42ecedb6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC17_zps095242ad.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC13_zps83330ab9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC14_zps11168f9c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC15_zps9279c729.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC10_zpsc352a271.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CampC18_zps83c7dcc2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BIRDDOC

Established Member
Bro, I need a ride....I mean I need to drive your Shelby! Can't wait! LOL!
Chad is the suspension man!

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks slowpony !!!

Daytona is going to change the way you look at things! That's where I'll show you what the Griggs SS chassis can really do. Thanks for the great write up and feedback. I only have about five customers running around with GR40SS chassis systems on 2013-2014 GT500's and all of the me are track rats now. LOL

Van

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
That looks awesome! Congrats on a sweet looking setup, I bet it feels amazing. If I planned on tracking or autocrossing this car more I'd be all over this. It's no small feat to run with the AWD cars in SM, especially when you're a novice! :beer:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Here's a vid with my wife on the last run:
Auto X 10-13 - YouTube

Now for Daytona road course in Dec!!!!!! Really looking forward to it.

Lol...I just watched your vid. I don't know what kind of autocross that was but sign me up for that mini road course in a parking lot. lol

I'd be running every month if we made courses like that here. You were haulin' the mail. :lol:

Ky GT500

Established Member
Matt's car is just badass to be in. He took me for a ride and it was unreal what it can do, couldn't imagine a wide open road course. Adrenalin rush times 10 and that's in the passenger seat. :rockon::coolman:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I gotta ask... cause i'm a little tired of the unsettling feeling while driving over bumps.... so how much?

USV8PWR

Established Member
It's cool as hell to see you out racing your Shelby in Autocross and against modded Evos! Good luck in Daytona! :rockon:

stutter

eat me
Established Member
sounds like you guys are having all the fun up in kentucky!! Hey Slowponycar and Birddoc, you guys should come to Road Atlanta Nov. 23rd for some track time!! Thats where Ill be.

Myfast70

Established Member
I had a Griggs Fox body and the thing was unreal thru the turns and corners. I could only imagine how awesome it would be on one of our cars.

Slowponycar

Established Member
Thanks slowpony !!!

Daytona is going to change the way you look at things! That's where I'll show you what the Griggs SS chassis can really do. Thanks for the great write up and feedback. I only have about five customers running around with GR40SS chassis systems on 2013-2014 GT500's and all of the me are track rats now. LOL

Van

Really looking forward to it, wife is super excited lol. Thanks again for all your help with my car setup. You are stuck with me for life

Lol...I just watched your vid. I don't know what kind of autocross that was but sign me up for that mini road course in a parking lot. lol

I'd be running every month if we made courses like that here. You were haulin' the mail. :lol:

Yeah, that was at UPS's parking lot in Louisville. Its cool watching the planes on approach for landing as they fly by right above us.

Matt's car is just badass to be in. He took me for a ride and it was unreal what it can do, couldn't imagine a wide open road course. Adrenalin rush times 10 and that's in the passenger seat. :rockon::coolman:

lol, hope I didnt scare you too bad, it was fun taking those turns though

sounds like you guys are having all the fun up in kentucky!! Hey Slowponycar and Birddoc, you guys should come to Road Atlanta Nov. 23rd for some track time!! Thats where Ill be.

thats a nice looking track, was down there last year when I went to Skip Barber. I won't be able to make this Nov's date, but hope to make it down there soon. Have to get a truck and trailer now lol

phil123

Established Member
How intense is the noise transmittal factor. I know that is a subjective question but does it take the car out of the DD category? Is there a lot of maintenance required after the install?

Users who are viewing this thread