Bob's Axle Reservoir and Lowered Stance

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Anyone here install this mod on a lowered 5.0? My situation with BMR Springs, this appears to be a null joy. I wish their description stated that lowered cars may suffer fitment problems :(

Any input from you guys?

6ehudu9y.jpg

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
no shit??? glad I didn't buy one. I'm going with moline Alex's breather mod solution.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
can you bend the two brackets up? no bueno. bob and jlt should add a disclaimer. send it back.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
I am most disappointed. With the use of an adj UCA to correct pinion angle; this creates major clearance issues. The housing for the UCA bushing (axle side) is contacting the reservoir and the UCA bolt doesn't line up with the notch in the bracket. I haven't read anything about fitment issues on lowered mustangs - so this is most disappointing.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
what about fabbing longer brackets? will that give you clearance. I'm pissed for you.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
what about fabbing longer brackets? will that give you clearance. I'm pissed for you.

No. These brackets place the reservoir as far back as you can go within the space above the axle housing. It just isn't going to work with a car this low. The way I see it, if you don't have and adj UCA - this should work for you. Clearance becomes a problem when clocking the housing rearward to address pinion angle. It is a great piece and very well designed - it just doesn't work with my setup :(

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
got everything but the breather at Home Depot in the plumbing section.

umaqujad.jpg

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
I'm running the reservoir and am lowered 1". No issues.

This is good to know. My statement may have been a bit vague. I believe this will work on "some" but not all lowered Mustangs. My BMR's dropped the car almost 1.75" and I had to use an adjustable UCA to bring the pinion angle back into spec. This offset has created my clearance issues. So, I think it is fair to say this will work with "some" but not all lowered ponies; and pretty much guaranteed to work with a Mustang that is lowered and equipped with a non-adjustable UCA (OEM or aftermarket).

Hoping this thread will spare others the frustrations I have encountered.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
I'm still using the stock breather without any problems. Im not sure why so many guys are having issues with fluid leaking out. my car has seen many track passes, street miles and high speed runs. The only thing different is that i changed out my rear end fluid. I restacked the clutch pack in my diff at around 2K put in a synthetic rear oil, set the cold level and have had no problems yet (fingers crossed) coming on 8K.

Tucker

Somethings not right,
I ran this on my 11 that was on BMR springs and had no issues at all. Even did some heavy road course action with no problems.

I took it off when I traded it in on the 13 and will be installing it on that very soon.

Ron, that may work for a street car that sees little side load, but on track that can fail. 1 the hose is not rated for the temps it may see and 2 the oil will break it down as well.

The idea behind the over flow kit is when on track the oil heats up and expands, that's why it burbs out the vent.
With the tank the expanded oil will go to the tank and then flow back into the rearend as it cools.

OP, I would contact Bob's about this, he may be able to help with more info. I know he has a GT500 that's lowered as well and he designed it.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
I'm still using the stock breather without any problems. Im not sure why so many guys are having issues with fluid leaking out. my car has seen many track passes, street miles and high speed runs. The only thing different is that i changed out my rear end fluid. I restacked the clutch pack in my diff at around 2K put in a synthetic rear oil, set the cold level and have had no problems yet (fingers crossed) coming on 8K.

This is good to hear. I wish I knew why some leak and some don't. Mine is leaking more than I care for, thus I tried Bob's Axle Res mod. Wish it would have worked out because it is very well designed piece.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Somethings not right,
I ran this on my 11 that was on BMR springs and had no issues at all. Even did some heavy road course action with no problems.

I took it off when I traded it in on the 13 and will be installing it on that very soon.

Ron, that may work for a street car that sees little side load, but on track that can fail. 1 the hose is not rated for the temps it may see and 2 the oil will break it down as well.

The idea behind the over flow kit is when on track the oil heats up and expands, that's why it burbs out the vent.
With the tank the expanded oil will go to the tank and then flow back into the rearend as it cools.

OP, I would contact Bob's about this, he may be able to help with more info. I know he has a GT500 that's lowered as well and he designed it.

I am open to suggestions Jay. This part can only install 1 way (via the UCA mount bolts). It sits in the space provided just as every other pic I have seen. But the tank contacts the bushing housing and the bolt notch doesn't line up with clearance in the support arm. I want this part to work, so please point me in the right direction so I can cure my Pony's anal leakage :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread