Bob's Oil Separator Install (Passenger's Side w/Pics)

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
This is for the PASSENGER SIDE.

Continuing the theme of mods 101 this would be the next level up in difficulty. I would say the most important thing would be measure twice, maybe thrice and cut once.

I went with the Ultimate Kit in Matte Black with Black AN Fittings so it would blend in with the engine compartment. The Matte Black and Black AN fittings match perfectly.

Not wanting to mess up the original PCV hose I ordered a new one from Tousley Ford 800-328-9552. $9.49 + freight and a week later it was at my door.

038.jpg

039.jpg

Out of curiosity I opened up the separator so now you don't have to. :coolman:

031.jpg

The instructions tell you to mount the unit off of the forward bolt of the pad on the strut tower. I removed the L-shaped bracket from the separator and started moving it around and decided I would use both bolts to mount the separator. That would make it more secure, it wouldn't move back and forth if the hoses were pushed on and it would look more like a factory installed item. Furthermore, I didn't want to bend the locating tabs flat on the two wires that were secured under the bolts.

032.jpg

With that said I removed both bolts and moved the wires out of the way and made a template of where I wanted the new holes in the bracket. You do NOT use the hole all the way to the right on the pad.

033.jpg

I located the template on the bracket from the one hole that was already drilled in the bracket. Used a punch to mark the location of the three additional holes to drill. I then wrapped the bracket in masking tape a few times so I didn't damage the finish, clamped it in my drill press and drilled the three additional holes. If you don't have a press, clamp the bracket to a piece of wood and use a hand drill. It is aluminum so it drills easy.

034.jpg

I used the OEM bolts to attach the bracket to the pad. In retrospect, I should have rotated the forward bolt's tab slightly so the wire didn't have such a hard bend clearing the bracket.

With that being done I mounted the separator to the bracket.

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

Next was getting the ends off of the hose purchased from Tousley. I used a heat gun to soften the rubber ends of the hose. I have also read where putting the ends in boiling water works. If you don't care about the hose you could also cut the hose off but be sure you don't damage the barbs on the PCV ends you need.

040.jpg

Now for the hose cutting. The rubber hose has a nylon-type of cover. I thought it was some type of braided line like Russell's but it is much easier to work with. A good sharp razor blade is fine. As you can see in the photo, it also has blue specs randomly scattered in it. It must have been purposely designed for grabber blue cars.:rollseyes

I started with the forward hose. Put the PCV fitting into the valve cover. Wrap the AN fitting a couple of times with masking tape so you don't damage the finish. Hand-tighten the AN fitting to the separator and see where you need to cut the hose. Where the cut needs to be made wrap the hose with tape.

041.jpg

You don't want to leave a wide piece of tape after cutting because the shrink sleeve won't visually cover the left-over piece of tape. I left about 1/3 the width of the tape on the hose after cutting. Measure twice-cut once. Again, I used a razor blade. Leave the tape on the hose so it doesn't fray on the end.

042.jpg

After the hose is cut you will need to put a shrink sleeve on the hose and then slide the PCV fitting on. A little spit never hurt. :uh oh:

043.jpg

Slide the shrink sleeve over the end of the hose so it is flush with the PCV fitting. Then start heating it. Go slow and apply even heat around the perimeter. I used a heat gun for this also.

044.jpg

Attach the hose to the separator and plug in the PCV side. Don't overtighten the AN fitting, there is minimal vacuum.

045.jpg

The same procedure is used for the rear hose. That one is a bit trickier. The bend closest to the separator is hard to not crimp the hose. Just do your best. Once done you won't have to worry about oil being pulled into your blower.

046.jpg

Have fun! Tom

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Tom,
Nice write up.
Make sure you locktite the screw that holds on the drain valve handle. After reading that someone had his handle fall off, I checked mine and the screw was loose. Also make sure the unions and valve are sealed with teflon tape or sealant. I also used locktite on the mounting screw that attaches the separator body to the mounting bracket.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Nice write up again. I went with the piano black on mine, matched the AN fittings very well and blends well underhood. Heat gun worked for me as well. Also did the double bolt hole mount, much more secure.

Last edited:

5.8 Venom

Established Member
Question, confirming the new FMC part purchase is just for the fitting ends?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ky GT500

Established Member
I want to do this but I've got to admit I'm a little intimidated. I would feel better having someone with me whose done it before guide me. I'm also contemplating just buying the unit and paying an expert/dealer to do it for me.

Man, if you lived closer, I'd be happy to come by and help you. It's a very easy instal. I know that doesn't help you but just saying. PM sent.

Established Member
Thank you for the great write up. Did the black AN fittings come on the hose already? If not, and doing your sano style install, they do make a 120 degree fitting to ease the routing for your back hose.

Going to do it just like you did. Will you do the drivers side too?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Thank you for the great write up. Did the black AN fittings come on the hose already? If not, and doing your sano style install, they do make a 120 degree fitting to ease the routing for your back hose.

Going to do it just like you did. Will you do the drivers side too?

I did the Ultimate Kit which includes the AN fittings and hose sections already attached. You just cut the end that goes to the PCV fittings.

I did notify Bob's they could use a better upper fitting to avoid that hard 90* bend. I also shared the extra holes on the bracket with them.

Tom

Snoopy49

Established Member
I also added the hole in my bracket. It holds the separator in a fixed position that clears the A/C line. I did not add the 2 additional holes for the ground strap terminal because I wasn't happy with the position of the inboard ground wire harness.

P5230565_zps312fe17e.gif

P5230567_zpse4185d9d.gif

P5230566_zpsc94c64cd.gif

marine12001

Established Member
Ran mine for about 3k miles and checked how much oil came out. Surprised on the passenger side can I had about 6-9oz of oil come out, but the drivers side was dry. Im assuming this is normal due to the air flow has anyone else gotten much outta their drivers side?

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Still running mine and get oil every time I empty it at oil changes. I am sooo convinced every owner should have this on the passenger side. Based on your and other's comments on the driver's side, I never installed one. I believe your results are the norm.

Tom

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Still running mine and get oil every time I empty it at oil changes. I am sooo convinced every owner should have this on the passenger side. Based on your and other's comments on the driver's side, I never installed one. I believe your results are the norm.

Tom

Tom,

I did the same - only installed the passenger side one. I re-utilized the other for my Fiesta ST, which does benefit greatly....

Users who are viewing this thread