Body shop ruined my CCWs and don't want to pay

ZIMxxZUM

M0NST3RZoftheM1DW4Y
Established Member
I just spoke with my companies machine shop manager about anodizing. There should be no issue with sending your centers out to a competent anodizing company for stripping and re-anodizing for under $500-$1000. We use CMT out of Round Rock Texas. You might see if they can help you out.

Thanks man. I'll look into it

when I was going through my court battle I was informed that even if I won a settlement there is nothing in place to make her pay (this is a child custody case) but I asked about small claims court and he told me the same thing. there will be a judge ment against them but who will enforce them to pay? that is a major flaw in the system. don't give up by any means but make sure you look into small claims before deciding that is the last option, now if a insurance company was to replace the wheels and then go after the body shop for reimbursement that is a different game than say you going after them, insurance companies always get their money back.

If you win a judgement you would have to put a lien on their assets, and you wouldnt get paid until they sold those assets. If the body shop is not setup propertly (in a corp or LLC) then you can place a lien on their personal assets, like their house or if the owner has another job that he gets a w-2 from then you can apply for a wage garnishment.

If the shop is an LLC or a corporation you can only place liens on assets that are in the companies names, if they own the building then you can place one on there if they rent then you are basically screwed unless you can find a judge that will hold them in contempt of court. Which for 4k I doubt they would.

Small claim courts are an ABSOLUTE JOKE. Ask me how I know, lol. If the defendant is not able to pay up, all the court could do is put a judgement against them. Court fees + wasted time etc. I hope you get your money back, OP.

Thanks for all the input guys. I've never done this so all this is new to me

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
One thing to note about the courts and payments is that just because there are flaky individuals that will try not to pay, doesn't always mean that's the case. Yes if you are awarded a judgement and you don't receive payment, you may have to return to have possible wages garnished or issue a lien on assets etc. However especially from a company standpoint, it's in their best interest to pay a judgement completely and within a reasonable amount of time to avoid having to pay more trial fees later on.

The company has already admitted fault. I do think that if you send them that certified letter with intent to sue that you're probably going to get their attention enough to get the ground running for you.

It wouldn't hurt to send your evidence either including your original purchase receipt, current cost of replacement and market value statements as discussed earlier.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
How much is a new set? Guessing you could sell your cheap, take the 1,500 and get a new set. Much easier then all that hassle of dealing with courts, etc. sure someone would grab a deal on your set, have the centers painted and re-polish the wheels.

It does look like they used wheel acid.

ZIMxxZUM

M0NST3RZoftheM1DW4Y
Established Member
How much is a new set? Guessing you could sell your cheap, take the 1,500 and get a new set. Much easier then all that hassle of dealing with courts, etc. sure someone would grab a deal on your set, have the centers painted and re-polish the wheels.

It does look like they used wheel acid.

New set is about $3700. Im not sure I'd even have enough to buy a new set if i did that

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Sounds like they used Hot Dog or another type of strong grease remover on it and if they did then they are done for as you say. I made the mistake of letting some get on the billet on my Ducati and it etched into the metal. It is safe to use on factory painted wheels but absolutely not on aluminum or bare metals like what you have. I would find out what they use because it is very likely their lot boy is an idiot and sprayed it on your wheels to loosen up the grease before cleaning them. It's called Hot Dog or some form of that spelling and it is purple. Lots of shops use it.

As a manager of a large, reputable shop myself we would take full responsibility for this because we know better than to let our lot attendants use that stuff on certain wheels. We would offer to have them professionally repaired which we could do, but most importantly own up to it.

Here's a pic of what happened to mine and the product Im talking about. Notice tge warning on the label?
20160321_182300_zpsguenrsth.jpg

20160321_182319_zps57lxflrm.jpg

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My boss just saw this too and said we used to have stuff called Alumiclean and he got rid of it because it did the same thing.

ZIMxxZUM

M0NST3RZoftheM1DW4Y
Established Member
Again, thanks for the comments guys. I spoke with the insurance agent in charge of working with the body shop and they are behind me 100% and are working to get this issue resolved. He refused to comment on the offer they proposed but to me it says he believes the offer is bull crap.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I like the idea of my wheels being anodize, which provides extra protection against the elements such as weather and brake dust, especially because I daily drive it. :

That extra protection didn't help out in this case though...

I hope you get it all resolved, best of luck

Twisted2v

Established Member
I had a tire shop scrape my wheel pretty good.

People just screw shit up, which is the reason I would never buy CCW's or something that expensive.

OP, the longer you let the issue hang around, the less likely you get any compensation or replacement. I know from experience.

Jefe

Established Member
Was this filed as a comprehensive claim for vandalism? Since they can't be fixed by CCW, why isnt your company paying for new wheels and then going after the dealer for reimbursement? Ask your adjuster to cut you a check and subrogate the dealer that did the damage. Either that or take the most you can get from the dealer and the rest from your insurance company to get similar wheels back on it

ZIMxxZUM

M0NST3RZoftheM1DW4Y
Established Member
Was this filed as a comprehensive claim for vandalism? Since they can't be fixed by CCW, why isnt your company paying for new wheels and then going after the dealer for reimbursement? Ask your adjuster to cut you a check and subrogate the dealer that did the damage. Either that or take the most you can get from the dealer and the rest from your insurance company to get similar wheels back on it

Ill bring this up to my insurance. Thanks

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, this really sucks for you. You're taking it pretty well thus far, considering the hassle you're getting from the shop. Hope in the end you are satisfied with the outcome (replacement or repaired).

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
People screw up, it happens, but it's how those screw ups are handled that separate the good businesses from the bad. Good luck OP.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
People screw up, it happens, but it's how those screw ups are handled that separate the good businesses from the bad. Good luck OP.

Here Here

Everyone has their money in their pocket already except for the OP. I just hope I never have to deal with an insurance company in this capacity.

This situation does remind me of a saying my Dad has, "one 'oh shit' can take away all the 'attaboys.'"

ZIMxxZUM

M0NST3RZoftheM1DW4Y
Established Member
I mean the body shop did do an amazing job fixing the bumper, but what they did to the wheels just overshadowed that. That one "oh shit" did make the "attaboy" go away. I'll give them that they tried to fix the wheels, but when they could not find some where to anodize they kind of just blew me off. I felt like they should have been the ones trying to find a place to fix them properly, but they just brushed me off. That's what really upset me.

Anyways, today I got a call from them with a better offer. I asked my insurance if they would be able to help and put the rest so I can buy a new set since they are insured under my policy. They said they would get back to me tomorrow. I'll see how that goes.

I really do hope none of you guys go through this.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
That body shop needs to file a claim with their insurance company. They should have a garage liability policy that should cover things like this. My guess is they probably have a $5000 deductible which is why they have not offered to file a claim. I deal with body shops in my line work and have witnessed issues like this. A good reputable shop will make this right. Hold their feet to the fire and don't give up.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
That body shop needs to file a claim with their insurance company. They should have a garage liability policy that should cover things like this. My guess is they probably have a $5000 deductible which is why they have not offered to file a claim. I deal with body shops in my line work and have witnessed issues like this. A good reputable shop will make this right. Hold their feet to the fire and don't give up.

This! All this talk about contacting your insurance and I am wondering why the heck its not the shops insurance being contacted.

You are not over reacting at all man, they owe you new wheels. I wouldn't even want them to be fixed, just replace them.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
This is why everyone puts junk wheels on before it goes into a shop.

Once I saw the pictures, I went back to the text for details. Your quote was my first thought, except his car was only in for 2 weeks for a bumper. Had it been like 6 weeks and a whole paint job I would be agreeing that he slightly messed up. However for just a bumper, I wouldn't think they would ruin all 4 wheels.

ZIMxxZUM

M0NST3RZoftheM1DW4Y
Established Member
This! All this talk about contacting your insurance and I am wondering why the heck its not the shops insurance being contacted.

You are not over reacting at all man, they owe you new wheels. I wouldn't even want them to be fixed, just replace them.

Alright guys so I spoke with both the shop and my insurance agent. Here are my options, 1. The body shop is offering me $2500 (which is what they claim their deductible is through their insurance) for the damages. I can't help but think they are bullshitting me because they have kind of proved to me that they are pretty stingy with money. 0R OPTION 2 is file a claim through their insurance. Both the shop and my insurance agent told me that if I go through the shop's insurance, I might run the risk of not getting my wheels replaced or even getting less than what they are offering me at the moment, which is the $2500. I felt like I was being thrown into a corner. I don't know if they want me to just take the cash to make all of this go away. I sure as hell feel like they are though. I told them I would think about.

Users who are viewing this thread