Bolt on 2012 GT500 FRPP, over geared?

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT500 with FRPP and it has the 3.73 gears, 2.59 pulley, idler, JLT 123 cold air, Nitto DR's and SCT tune from Van at Revan. My initial thoughts are that even at the stock power levels the 12 GT500 with 3.73's, is over geared for traction on the street even with a nice street tire in 1st and 2nd gear. Obviously, suspension upgrades and a sticky tire help hook up the car, but I was wondering do you guys with power mods ever consider swapping out the 3.73's for 3.31's or 3.27's? I am planning/budgeting to do the Griggs watts link w/torque arm, adj. LCRs, relocation brackets, torsen limited slip etc... and just thinking about trading out the gear set at the same time.

Maybe SVT is on to something with the 3.31's being offered as original equipment in the 13's. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this...maybe going to 3.31 gears will help with a nice street tire and allow for the rear tires to have a life span past a season. With the added power mods (especially a Kenne Bell, Whipple, or TVS) how does anyone on a street tire even use the power? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
No, we installed 3.73s, generally, in lieu of the factory gearing.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
How does that work out in 1st and 2nd gear for you with street tires? Stock, I felt that 1st and 2nd were useless on the goodyears.

Same as it did with factory gearing but it is easier to drive around town now.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with you. However, I think it's the transmission gearing. The 2.66:1 first gear ratio used in the 2013, would make more sense than the 2.98:1 in our cars.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
TR-6060 internal gearing is different for the 13's, thus the smaller (numerical) rear gear. Whenever I need a clutch, I will probably swap for a new gear set at the same time. 1st is way too close as-is and it's a compounded problem in the way that most of these cars don't like a fast 1-2 shift at high RPMs.

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
Thanks guys, makes sense. I think if I get the 1-2 shift lock out issue that many have posted about, then I may look at doing the 2.66 first gear too. When I go with a bigger blower i think I am going to go 3.31 gears out back.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
I agree with you, for me the 3.31's are fine, feels like I spend about 2 seconds in first and 3 seconds in second.

AllenC

Established Member
I have a 2012 non PP with 3:55 gears. I may add a pulley and tune and go from 19" tires to 20" tires. Do you think the taller tire will help eliminate a "little" wheel spin in 1st compared to the smaller 19” wheels? I know its all about side walls and grip but I think it will be a little more manageable. What ya think?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have to say if the 373s are too much for you with your setup your crazy to even think about a bigger blower. 3.31s were dog gears that's why ford went to 3.55 2010 an 3.73 in 2011 pp. Ford only went to a 3.31 in the 13 cause of the added power an that fact to hit 200mph plus new tranny gears.

BLK96NAPWER

Established Member
I have to say if the 373s are too much for you with your setup your crazy to even think about a bigger blower. 3.31s were dog gears that's why ford went to 3.55 2010 an 3.73 in 2011 pp. Ford only went to a 3.31 in the 13 cause of the added power an that fact to hit 200mph plus new tranny gears.

I think that 3.73's dont maximize traction at the stock power level, not that they are to much for me. I would think that with a ring and pinion like 3.31's, would work better with a car with a bigger blower...which means the car would have more torque and HP to draw upon to get the power to the ground through the 3.31's. In any event I am just trying to gather info if any one has found that illusive balance of power, gearing, traction for the street on street tires. So far I think the concensus is that we can do suspension mods, drag radials, and have a pretty good chance you will still smoke the tires in 1st and 2nd gear with the 3.73+ gears. Smoking tires sucks for street racing and I think I am going to do the 2.66 first and the 3.31's out back.

Last edited by a moderator:

09Snake

Established Member
I had the stock 3.31 ring and driving the car in town sucked! I got 3.73's and now the car drives like i think it should have from the factory. Yea, i had traction problems after the gear swap but nothing a set of drag radials didn't fix.

Users who are viewing this thread