Boost bypass valve on 03 cobra

03YellowVenom

Established Member
Was wondering if anyone tryed the bypass valve yet.I've read that the eaton supercharger only allows 9 pounds of boost at WOT and the rest is gone threw the bypasss valve..so if your running a pulley like my self a 2.76 your not really getting all the boost avaliable.I've tryed it but I wont know the difference until i go to the track hopefully this sat night.Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has done it or read anything about it.

lwantSonicBlue

My tuner did the boast by pass with the preditor... some say that it is not "as good" as the manuel way but I really could not tell the difference but if you can talk to James at "Running with the devil" he is the one that talked to my tuner about it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Amazon Racing did the boost bypass mod on my Diablo chip. It is pretty common now to see tuners do it on a chip or through the Predator.

03YellowVenom

Established Member
Well I did mine with the steeda bypass Kit....I'm going to the track tonight and see i'f I can get into the 11's ...although i'm running at PIR , which i've been told is a tenth or two slower than some tracks in my area.I'll let you guys know what happens.... so far at PIR my best is a 12.092 so im not far away from my goal....thanks for the input.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
I drive my car around with the two hoses switched.. by passing the boost by pass... haha

Marc

03YellowVenom

Established Member
Ya I read that how to do thread....but I decided just to go with the kit...for around 15 bucks because it looks pretty clean....I think thats what got me first place at the dream summer car show...lol:beer:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
although this has probably been covered a few million times on both Cobra and Lightning forums, I'll state it again:

doing a mechanical rerouting of vacuum lines or disconnecting the wiring to eliminate the bypass solenoid can be a potentially dangerous thing.

the preferred method is to have your tuner remove the event triggers that are part of Ford's torque management programming, while leaving the fail-safe ones...

from the Ford service manual:

"If an undesirable condition occurs in the engine, such as overheating or a critical Electric Engine Control (Electronic EC) sensor failure, the powertrain control module (PCM) also has the ability to control the SCB solenoid and direct the vacuum bypass actuator to bypass the supercharger. Once the engine condition has been corrected, the PCM allows the engine vacuum to control the vacuum bypass actuator."

Last edited:

03YellowVenom

Established Member
Originally posted by SWEET94COBRA
so do you have the results?
Well I couldnt really tell if I got any Hp gains ,I actually lost 2 MPH in trap speed and 3 tenths.....best of the night was 12.3,But that was with also running with my Hi flow bassani cats that I didnt run when I ran my 12 sec flat 2 weeks ago.Although traction was more of a issue even with 315 nitto drag radials,I might of got more torque that was more than likely gained by the cats. But I am concerned now about the bypass after reading the above thread.:shrug:

n0xlf

Established Member
I have dyno'd with boost bypass on and off (via the Predator), and there was NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL...

I don't understand why people are so big on this mod...My understanding of the boost bypass, as mentioned above, is that it is there as a failsafe...

I also think people confuse the boost bypass mod with the boost bypass actuator's function...The actuator is adjustable and can be adjusted to allow boost to come on at different throttle levels, or to not allow full boost, if you really wanted that...It's a simple mechanical adjustment on the side of the blower and adjusts where the actuator stops...More pressure on the stop, more boost at lower throttle levels, less pressure is the opposite...Disabling the actuator entirely will leave the motor in boost all of the time, creating a huge amount of parasitic loss and heat...

The boost bypass mod is defeating the failsafe measures and will not allow boost to be dumped when things are going wrong, yet provides no advantage to normal operation...

Am I missing something here? I see absolutely no reason for the boost bypass mod, mechanical or via the Predator...

03YellowVenom

Established Member
The only reason I Decided to try it is because I read that on RPMS outlets Site that if your running a pulley your not getting the extra boost because,the factory supercharger is set up not to let you get anymore than 9pounds at WOT and any more is releast threw the bypass valve.So then I saw steeda was selling a bypass kit for 15 dollars.So I thought i'd give it a try.Well from what I read on the forum and the risk factor..with no HP increase" noticed" I think i'll take it off. Thanks for all the input on the subject.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by JB

the preferred method is to have your tuner remove the event triggers that are part of Ford's torque management programming, while leaving the fail-safe ones...

JB - does this mean turning off the torque management? I might be imagining things, but I seem to recall reading someone saying they turned this off altogether. But from what you wrote, I don't really get that impression. It sounds to me as though you are suggesting it is just a particular part of that strategy that is disabled. Thanks!

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 03YellowVenom
Ya I read that how to do thread....but I decided just to go with the kit...for around 15 bucks because it looks pretty clean....I think thats what got me first place at the dream summer car show...lol:beer:

Yellow - if you meant the thread that I posted a link to above, it wasn't a "how to" thread. It was a thread where doing this mod vs not doing it, was discussed. Just thought you might want to read everyone's arguments there. JB pretty much summed up the truth of the matter, however.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Originally posted by 03YellowVenom
The only reason I Decided to try it is because I read that on RPMS outlets Site that if your running a pulley your not getting the extra boost because,the factory supercharger is set up not to let you get anymore than 9pounds at WOT and any more is releast threw the bypass valve.

My car is pullied, and let me tell you, I have more boost than the stock 9psi from the factory. No boost bypass for me.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
JB - does this mean turning off the torque management? I might be imagining things, but I seem to recall reading someone saying they turned this off altogether. But from what you wrote, I don't really get that impression. It sounds to me as though you are suggesting it is just a particular part of that strategy that is disabled. Thanks!

turning off torque management completely is fine.... :thumbsup:

I was simply stressing the point that out of all the various event triggers that will cause the boost dump solenoid to operate the boost dump actuator to dump boost, only the TM ones should be disabled and the "fail-safe" ones that can prevent damage to motor should be left in place.

as you realize, if the solenoid is completely bypassed mechanically or electrically, it can't perform those emergency functions

Last edited:

golstho

Established Member
jb can you pm me or post instructions on how to turn off the T.M. with the predator...

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
that's something you would need a tuner to do for you in a custom tune that you could then load with your Predator

Users who are viewing this thread