Boost on stock Coyote

FiveSlow

Established Member
yJn5llH.png
yJn5llH.png
yJn5llH.png

Yes the fuel tests out to around 96 depending on quality...if I get shitty 93 it will at least test to 93. Bad gas and spark blowout, good bye engine. It's not race fuel but for a few bucks it's safe Pump all day..what's so funny?

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
Yes the fuel tests out to around 96 depending on quality...

So you have access to octane engines to test the research and motor octane of the fuel and verify it comes out to 96 octane?

FiveSlow said:
if I get shitty 93 it will at least test to 93. Bad gas and spark blowout, good bye engine. It's not race fuel but for a few bucks it's safe Pump all day..what's so funny?

The first statement here is closer to what you're actually getting. Those small bottles of octane booster don't have a high enough rating to raise a tank to where it would make a significant difference. That few bucks you're spending on the octane booster could be better spent on a quality fuel if you're not already using one.

FiveSlow

Established Member
You don't know what you're talking about. Do some research on the Lucas additive. It adds a few points less than torco for much cheaper. Torco caps to around 99 oct and the Lucas caps to 96. Those are the only 2 boosters that really do anything.

Last edited:

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
You don't know what you're talking about. Do some research on the Lucas additive. It adds a few points less than torco for much cheaper. Torco caps to around 99 oct and the Lucas caps to 96. Those are the only 2 boosters that really do anything.

This isn't about Torco but since you mention it, they both contain MMT and can have some undesirable effects on your motor with continued use.

lPW521k.jpg

If your car can't survive on regular pump gas then you should get a less aggressive tune.

You still didn't answer my question, how do you know it is "testing" to 96 octane depending on quality or you're at least making it 93 octane when you add it?

FiveSlow

Established Member
That's after 100,000 miles on a tune that's not calibrated for what's being added..my car is tuned for 93. It's 4 years old with 22,000 miles on it, 1500+ of which are with the new setup. This motor will not see 100k. The additive will make up for bad gas and detonation on the hottest days in harsh conditions. Since you're not under standing, if I fill up on gas that tests to 91-92 but it's supposed to be 93, the stuff I'm adding will keep my tune safe so I don't have to detune as you suggested. I'm not going to thread jack this to prove what's already been proven. Do a little more research if you really want to know. Logs + testing to see for yourself. Do some research on how to test fuel. A lot of the e85 guys do it every tank and if you have the funds install a management system that tests for you, they do exist. I'm not a genius but it makes sense! I'd buy race gas but at $7 a gallon + pure overkill for me it's pointless. I'm converting to e85 in time.

Larry03GT

Established Member
Ok back on track now I'm over 50k miles with the SC but have been low boost under 600 to wheels. Motor has been perfect, Change plugs every year and they have come out perfect every time. Now I can't say the same about the tranny but will see how #2 holds up.

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
That's after 100,000 miles on a tune that's not calibrated for what's being added..my car is tuned for 93. It's 4 years old with 22,000 miles on it, 1500+ of which are with the new setup. This motor will not see 100k. The additive will make up for bad gas and detonation on the hottest days in harsh conditions. Since you're not under standing, if I fill up on gas that tests to 91-92 but it's supposed to be 93, the stuff I'm adding will keep my tune safe so I don't have to detune as you suggested. I'm not going to thread jack this to prove what's already been proven. Do a little more research if you really want to know. Logs + testing to see for yourself. Do some research on how to test fuel. A lot of the e85 guys do it every tank and if you have the funds install a management system that tests for you, they do exist. I'm not a genius but it makes sense! I'd buy race gas but at $7 a gallon + pure overkill for me it's pointless. I'm converting to e85 in time.

There isn't a "tune" that will keep MMT from doing that. And you're still avoiding my question.

By the way, I work in a refinery on a unit that makes high octane blending stock that ends up your gas tank. I also like to pick the brains of the guys at the lab that run our samples on the octane engines that measure research and motor octane. But hey, you've done your research so keep doing what you're doing. :thumbsup:

I love E85...

No drama, just performance

I love E85 too. Just wish I could find it around here. :beer:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I don't believe there's an accurate way of measuring true octane rating without some expensive machines. You can assume it's higher octane if the car will take additional timing without knocking but I don't know of an accurate way of measuring the R+M outside of big $$ testing equipment.

robbinthehood

Established Member
Any more info on the mmt and prolonged use over time? I'd love to use lucas or torco every tank for insurance

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

hopony

Established Member
So you have access to octane engines to test the research and motor octane of the fuel and verify it comes out to 96 octane?

The first statement here is closer to what you're actually getting. Those small bottles of octane booster don't have a high enough rating to raise a tank to where it would make a significant difference. That few bucks you're spending on the octane booster could be better spent on a quality fuel if you're not already using one.

To actually answer you question you can use google. I think it is on a volvo forum where they tested torco, lucas and several other octane boosters. 1 bottle of lucas made 10 gallons of 93 into 96. Also torco was only a point higher if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread