Boss 302 Quad Pipes on a GT500

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The sound is really nice. My installers welded in the junction point to the H-pipe, right after the cats (along the bend), so that more sound would travel to the side exits.

I've seen the photos and heard the clips. That setup is unique and the sound is nothing short of awesome. Kudos to you for doing it your way!

Tob,
Your H pipe looks much better than that spider looking thing LOL!

Has anyone spliced an H pipe into a catted X pipe? I have been thinking of getting Dynatech LT and the catted X but want to keep my Boss quads. Looking at the catted X I see that there are clamps after the cats. It looks like the geometry may be the same or close to the H pipes.

You mean like this?

4-13-12007_zps5660d1ca.jpg

4-13-12006_zpsec18e0e1.jpg

4-13-12011_zps5eee1bc5.jpg

5-14-12041_zps97da3ab3.jpg

Great thread, thanks for posting..
Anytime!

Tob

Thanks as always for looking out for us. Mine is a 2011 so I will either use your template or wait for FRPP to hopefully come out with a GT500 kit.

Thanks

Sean

You got it Sean. Word I had was that the GT500 kit was slated for a second quarter 2013 release. Keep your fingers crossed!

bpodner

My work car!
Established Member
Would rather keep my Tob H pipe than have to have the spider modified. Does it look like I could attach the H, instead of the X, after the cats or is the geometry too different?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I think the bends that the above system utilizes as well as other full length header systems won't match to be able to cut/clamp in your existing 'H' section. That isn't to say it can't be done. Most any competent muffler shop should be able to tweak some pipe (which you may have to supply if you want 304 or 409 stainless in the proper diameter) to adapt what you have to a set of headers and high flow cats.

Apparently you want even more, eh?:)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Good to hear. It puts a smile on my face knowing that you have some rarity under your car, belching out a unique note every time you mash the throttle.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Javier, you've come a long way since you first joined this site and had yet to receive your car. You have done one heck of a good job sifting through an endless sea of mods, hand picking the ones that best suited your own specific needs. The car I see in your sig is absolutely beautiful.

The FRPP GT500 Quad Exhaust kit will only add to what you've done. Nice job.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Javier, you've come a long way since you first joined this site and had yet to receive your car. You have done one heck of a good job sifting through an endless sea of mods, hand picking the ones that best suited your own specific needs. The car I see in your sig is absolutely beautiful.

The FRPP GT500 Quad Exhaust kit will only add to what you've done. Nice job.

Thanks Tob I really appreciate that! I had been looking at a GT500 for a long time, but the news of the 2013 back in November of 2011 convinced me. Since then I had been planning my direction with it. As it sits now, I am done with the aesthetics. I will continue to address suspension and traction later down the road. Now I am at power, thus far I have collected the following :

1 7/8 stainless works LT's with the OR/X
X3 tuner
VMP pulley 2.4
FRPP 65mm Dual TB

Next is a IW 10 OD and a bigger intake. The exhaust will run into the stock mufflers. Once the ford kit with the quad pipes is released I will likely replace the OR/X with the quad unit and that will complete the sound and uniqueness I am shooting for! I always enjoying reading your posts, gives me knowledge and insight to future mods :rockon:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Owners of '11-'13 GT500's...it appears as though word about a second quarter 2013 release of an appropriate FRPP GT500/Boss quad pipe kit was spot-on and is only a few days away from being available. Thanks to a longtime friend and vendor for letting me know. I'm happy knowing that so many will now be able to share the quad experience.

:)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It came up elsewhere but I wanted to provide a little more detail and felt this thread was probably more deserving. :)

SVTsideexhaust_zps8b39d4f9.jpg

From here.

After pushing hard for this one, its nice to see it finally reach fruition. Now you're only a credit card and an installation away from having a truly unique sounding GT500. From the first kit obtained from the mothership...

__DSC_0561_zps6cefeaba.jpg

__DSC_0559_zps9930898c.jpg

Note the reflective heat wrap you see from DEI. I've yet to see any included instructions so I can only speculate. My guess would be that someone at FRPP felt the need to insulate the fuel lines that are in place and above a side pipe on one side of the car. I can only say that when I brought up a convective heat concern in the same area to one of the engineers that designed the original Boss system and noted no insulation was being used on those cars, he indicated to me that it is a non-issue. I suppose the wrap can't hurt, if that is indeed what FRPP is intending it for.

Interesting that FRPP chose not to use a flex connection at the crossover as the system needs to expand/contract at that area. Apparently, their testing indicated that the system was fine without it. None of that 'H' section looks to be production and the welds are far better than what Faurecia does on the OEM Boss 'H' section. Not shown is the box that contains the factory Boss side pipes.

Looks familiar to something I've seen before...:)

IMAG0577.jpg

Happy motoring!

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
It came up elsewhere but I wanted to provide a little more detail and felt this thread was probably more deserving. :)

SVTsideexhaust_zps8b39d4f9.jpg

From here.

After pushing hard for this one, its nice to see it finally reach fruition. Now you're only a credit card and an installation away from having a truly unique sounding GT500. From the first kit obtained from the mothership...

__DSC_0561_zps6cefeaba.jpg

__DSC_0559_zps9930898c.jpg

Note the reflective heat wrap you see from DEI. I've yet to see any included instructions so I can only speculate. My guess would be that someone at FRPP felt the need to insulate the fuel lines that are in place and above a side pipe on one side of the car. I can only say that when I brought up a convective heat concern in the same area to one of the engineers that designed the original Boss system and noted no insulation was being used on those cars, he indicated to me that it is a non-issue. I suppose the wrap can't hurt, if that is indeed what FRPP is intending it for.

Interesting that FRPP chose not to use a flex connection at the crossover as the system needs to expand/contract at that area. Apparently, their testing indicated that the system was fine without it. None of that 'H' section looks to be production and the welds are far better than what Faurecia does on the OEM Boss 'H' section. Not shown is the box that contains the factory Boss side pipes.

Looks familiar to something I've seen before...:)

IMAG0577.jpg

Happy motoring!

Awesome

Last edited:

SuperFly03

Established Member
So, in your opinion, could you splice this into an existing setup like mine?

That is to say, I have LT and an O/R X pipe with Borl ATAK. Can you cut the ARH X pipe, splice in this Hpipe and connect the exit to the existing Borla ATAK? Then you would just need to bolt up the side exhaust and rock on.

I realize you maynot not the exact dimensions of all my parts, but does the theory hold? Its just a bit of pipe cutting and welding?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

:thumbsup:

So, in your opinion, could you splice this into an existing setup like mine?

That is to say, I have LT and an O/R X pipe with Borl ATAK. Can you cut the ARH X pipe, splice in this Hpipe and connect the exit to the existing Borla ATAK? Then you would just need to bolt up the side exhaust and rock on.

I realize you maynot not the exact dimensions of all my parts, but does the theory hold? Its just a bit of pipe cutting and welding?

Scroll back up to post #181 as I'd think that'd be your best bet.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Does anyone have the specs on the bolts and spacers that are needed to fit a convertible but are not included?

Thanks

Tag

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Nice pics Tob. Like others since I have a aftermartket exhaust waiting to go on my fantasy setup will be this and I think it will be awesome:

Stainless works LT's with OR/X

Then purchase just the side exit pipes from FRPP and have a good exhaust shop fabricate them into the OR/X and have a sick sounding car. All while retaining the factory quad mufflers.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Does anyone have the specs on the bolts and spacers that are needed to fit a convertible but are not included?

Thanks

Tag
From post #110 in this thread...
After I had the side pipes mocked up I tightened up the H pipe clamps and the side pipes to the H pipe. Then I secured the tips by using a M10 1.50 x 70mm bolt, 2 flat washers, and a 1 inch spacer. It did take a little "maneuvering" of the side pipe, that's why I loosened the clamp.
img0499px.jpg

You can see a 1 inch spacer gave me about 3/16" clearance form the brace bolt. Should be enough to avoid too much heat transfer.

Tag, I know you've been waiting a while for this one. I don't think you'd be happy were you to go this route!

Nice pics Tob. Like others since I have a aftermartket exhaust waiting to go on my fantasy setup will be this and I think it will be awesome:

Stainless works LT's with OR/X

Then purchase just the side exit pipes from FRPP and have a good exhaust shop fabricate them into the OR/X and have a sick sounding car. All while retaining the factory quad mufflers.

I don't think you can purchase the requisite side pipes only from FRPP. Try an authorized SVTP vendor that can get you OEM Ford service parts for that. I look forward to your results!

Users who are viewing this thread