Boss 302 Quad Pipes on a GT500

bpodner

My work car!
Established Member
Finally took a couple vids, sorry for the quality.
The first is start up and drive away, nothing crazy since I have to live in this neighborhood.
IMG_0508.MOV - YouTube

Second is a drive by at slow speed, you can hear the "burble when down shifting.
IMG_0509.MOV - YouTube

Oh and the dog you hear barking at the beginning is our puppy. An English Mastiff named Shelby LOL.

It's hard to tell over my Magnaflow exhaust but the quad pipe DEFINITELY improves the overall sound of the car.:banana:

Last edited:

sdonaghey

Established Member
Hi,

I am going to try splicing the Boss side exhaust exit onto my 2007 GT. I have Kooks LT's with H-pipe. i purchased the side exhaust and the spacers and gaskets. I have a local exhaust guy that does all custom work and I asked him about fabbing up the connectors. It probably wont happen for at least another month, but when the work is done, I will post up pictures.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You may want to put a hold on your order. There may be a better solution directly from FRPP. I'm pouring concrete and am a bit busy but I can get into detail later.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hi,

I am going to try splicing the Boss side exhaust exit onto my 2007 GT. I have Kooks LT's with H-pipe. i purchased the side exhaust and the spacers and gaskets. I have a local exhaust guy that does all custom work and I asked him about fabbing up the connectors. It probably wont happen for at least another month, but when the work is done, I will post up pictures.

Yup, Matt picked up on what I was hinting at. The pipe in the recently released 3V kit should match the diameter of your GT. In addition, the 'stubs' that FRPP is using with the latest kit are longer. Meaning if you wanted to cut them off the FRPP pipe and fuse them to your kooks unit, you'd have more material to make it work as well as having the proper fastener at the tip exit. Remember, '10 and earlier chassis do not have the requisite tip exit fastener in the chassis as the '11 and later cars do. I believe this latest kit will supply you with a simple and unique fastener to make it happen.

M-5220-MBA.jpg

Interesting to see FRPP follow those out there that have made this work via cutting/clamping in a modified X/H pipe section...:)

sdonaghey

Established Member
I decided to just order the side pipes and the needed gaskets and spacers from Toulsey Ford. Their prices were the best out there. Who did you get the Vibrant pipe from for that price? I want to place an order for it also. For the fastener problem for the side pipes,I am just going to have my exhaust guy look at doing this. If not him, then i am bringing the car to a custom shop soon anyways, so I can just have them do it there.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Sean, my bad for not responding. I just googled 'best price Vibrant...' and purchased it from whoever came up. I honestly forget who it was as I had never heard of them before.

I just realized it was you from Brad's as well.

Good luck with your project.

sdonaghey

Established Member
Tob,

What are the size of the fasteners did you use to secure the side pipes to the connectors off the h-pipe? I just need to get them to have all my parts. I finally got this insall scheduled for the 21st. Can't wait!

Once in awhile the stars align perfectly - the wife caught our elusive Fedex guy before he could speed off with the pipe I've been waiting patiently for and my Ford parts guy called to say my stuff had come in. I couldn't wait to see the two mesh.

I needed some 2" OD stainless tubing to fab up the short, radiused and flanged stubs to weld onto my existing "H" pipe, to then be able to bolt on the quad pipes from the Boss exhaust system. I found Vibrant Performance online and chose a length of pipe with a few mandrel bends as well as some straight sections that would allow me to come up with the shape needed to join everything together. I chose this pipe. Foreign sourced but I must admit - the pipe is beautiful.

IMG_8968.jpg

IMG_8970.jpg

Thick walled T304 with the stamp inside the pipe. The inside of the pipe is the smoothest metallic surface I've ever dragged my fingertip across.

IMG_8973.jpg

Again, the idea is to fit the 2" pipe inside a pair of Ford's 'spacers' essentially crating a flanged pipe. And while the system I have already came with two of these, I wanted to start off with a fresh and clean pair to fuse to the Vibrant 2" pipe.

IMG_8976.jpg

IMG_8977.jpg

What a relief to see that I had based my order on the proper dimensions. The fit between the two could not have been better...

IMG_8982.jpg

IMG_8985.jpg

IMG_8988.jpg

I'll have to cope one end of a specific section of that pipe and weld that flange to the other end. Drill my H-pipe with a hole saw and then weld the coped end to it. I purchased some new OEM Ford steel shim gaskets so that I'll get a factory seal as well.

IMG_8979.jpg

While I'm fairly certain I won't be using them for long, I wanted to start with the factory noise restrictor plates and see how that sounds. I'll either drill them out or toss them altogether

IMG_8978.jpg

This is what I paid at the dealer for the factory Boss hardware

IMG_8981.jpg

I paid $52 plus tax and shipping for the mandrel bent section of pipe from Vibrant as well.
I also picked up some hardened and oil quenched bolts from my favorite local commercial fastener supplier.

IMG_8989.jpg

I now have pretty much everything I need (aside from time) to finish this project. If no other matters prevent me from doing it I should be able to complete this project this weekend. I can't wait to weld/bolt everything up and finally turn the key!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'll have to crawl under and have a look! They weren't anything special, other than them being oil quenched.

You also can probably figure out the size by looking at the hole on your sidepipes as well as measuring the thickness of its flange and multiplying by three. Then just allow additional length for the nut as well as another 3/16" or so.

Good luck with your project!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Sean, I just reached my arm under to measure the as installed fasteners as well as stacking flange plates to verify...

Fastener (from the underside of the bolt head, the shank) length...2". That gives you just the right amount of length with an OE style shouldered nut. You could make 2-1/4" (again, just shank length - not including bolt head) work if you are adding a washer(s) to the mix.

IIRC, the fasteners are metric. A quick measurement with the wood rule I had in my pocket showed 5/16" diameter to be fine. Fine thread as well.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Tob, ive been trying to follow this project as best as I can. Now im not a mechanic or "fabber" by any means, however im wondering what would be the easiest way to get Boss style quad pipe mid onto a 2013 GT500....I honestly think a swap of the stock mid to the boss setup would make the car sound sick! I too am not after power (got plenty of that) just want more grunt and sound! is the above frpp piece useful for such a task? can you buy the boss left and right pipes separately thereby making the only issue of fabbing that quad unit onto the existing exhaust? please forgive my naiveness....just trying to go for a unique option instead of spending money on headers and midpipe! :beer:

sdonaghey

Established Member
Thanks. Exhaust going in on Saturday.

Sean, I just reached my arm under to measure the as installed fasteners as well as stacking flange plates to verify...

Fastener (from the underside of the bolt head, the shank) length...2". That gives you just the right amount of length with an OE style shouldered nut. You could make 2-1/4" (again, just shank length - not including bolt head) work if you are adding a washer(s) to the mix.

IIRC, the fasteners are metric. A quick measurement with the wood rule I had in my pocket showed 5/16" diameter to be fine. Fine thread as well.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
...is the above frpp piece useful for such a task? Yes.

can you buy the boss left and right pipes separately thereby making the only issue of fabbing that quad unit onto the existing exhaust? You can buy the sidepipes separately. Within a broader scope or spectrum, it would be advantageous to buy the proper FRPP 'Boss' kit as opposed to welding stubs onto your own exhaust (I've done it both ways now). In kit form, installation is far easier with a prefabricated or modified Boss 'H' section.

please forgive my naiveness....just trying to go for a unique option instead of spending money on headers and midpipe!
Its definitely unique. The nice part is that the kit utilizes only parts from Ford and the modified Boss 'H' section by me.

Headers wouldn't be something I'd be adding to a '13. Heck, I won't add them to my own as much as I've added them to just about every vehicle I've ever owned. The Whipple/FRPP kit is as close to crossing the check engine threshold as I choose to venture. The quad exhaust provides an aural experience that headers won't. Unless you do headers and quad pipes...

Keep us abreast. I keep checking your posts on it at another site and it hasn't been updated in a while now. Good luck with it.

69Mach1351w

Established Member

Any updates on this. Im itching to try to take my car to my local exhaust shop. Bunch of good guys, and i think that with some ingenuity we might be able to make something work with the stock H-Pipe unit.

As TOB said, its not the best solution to modify a stock H, but for $700+ for the side pipes and the Boss H-pipe(which still requires modification) im not able to justify the increase. Especially when you add in the wireless QTEC exhaust cutouts i would like to add also.

Is there a down side to adding cutouts POST H-Pipe? Would the exhaust gasses occur some odd turbulence? I remember I added cutouts to my old 69 mach,right before the H-pipe section. Since we have cats just aft the headers, that location is likely not possible, so perhaps post H-Pipe would work? QTEC has a part like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31I341tRhVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'm doing one of these for a gentleman on here (tasdevl). It is going to be added to his 2012 GT500 coupe. Pretty much the same routine as before...

IMG_9890.jpg

IMG_9897.jpg

IMG_9899.jpg

IMG_9900.jpg

IMG_9901.jpg

Once again, I ran out of argon. I really need to have two bottles ready to go at all times. I'll finish it off and get it on its way ASAP. Review coming...

Users who are viewing this thread