Boss 302 vs E60 M5

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
The 2006 E60 M5 is owned by a buddy at work. It's black with a red interior, SMG tranny, black 20" HRE multi-spokes (not sure the style), RPI long-tubes, RPI catless mid-pipe, RPI catback w/o mufflers, and RPI air boxes. It is LOUD. IMO it sounds like shit at low speeds, but when he is hammering on it, the sounds is glorious. It's as close to an F1 car as I have ever heard.

So we have been wanting to run for a while, and finally got the chance today as we left for lunch at the same time. There is a perfect, straight stretch 3 lanes wide just as you leave my work. There are no stop lights except one that starts the strip, and no traffic.

We line up at the light, and he asks to go from 10 mph as he will spin from a dig. We get moving, and I honk it off. I get the hit slightly, and put a little over half a car through 1st. Nail a perfect 7500 rpm shift into 2nd and pull another half car and stay there. I couldn't see him in my mirror or when I looked directly left so I assumed he was at my back bumper. Another perfect shift into 3rd then into 4th. I sound was incredible; we both wish we could have recorded it. I let off at around 120ish, or just before the shift into 5th. He flew by as I don't think he was expecting me to lift.

Once I caught up, he then asked for a 40 roll. I knew it would a short one as we were coming to the light that ends the stretch. We both got into 2nd and I honked it off again. I pulled 1.25-1.5 cars immediately and that held partially through 3rd, then we had to let off for the light.

After lunch, he stopped by my office and said on the first run he was inching up as I let off. I figured once I shifted into 5th he would walk away as he's just entering that car's sweet spot. He tried to explain how much heavier his car is, but I said mine has less power. Then he said the heat was causing issues for his high strung NA motor. I said I was in the same 85° heat. :lol1: I asked for his next excuse, he laughed, and said "Damn, I just lost, oh well." It was a fun run and I'm pretty happy with that result. :coolman:

D.T.R

Established Member
Nice kill dude. I thought the other car would've got you.... but yeah it probably weighs well over 4,000lbs lmao

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Nice race, thanks for posting. Full exhaust, cold air intake, and a tune = 40hp/40tq+. He'll never catch you, even up top.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Talked to a guy the other day who had an 8 series Vert. Said the car had the M6 motor with work done. Not a Bimmer guy, so I really have no clue. The Bosses are sweet, guy in our local club sold his Compund Boost GT500 with a Hellion TT blowing through the stock blower to get a new Boss.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Talked to a guy the other day who had an 8 series Vert. Said the car had the M6 motor with work done. Not a Bimmer guy, so I really have no clue. The Bosses are sweet, guy in our local club sold his Compund Boost GT500 with a Hellion TT blowing through the stock blower to get a new Boss.

Must be a custom swap, being the 8-series was produced from 1989 to 1999...

BMW 8 Series (E31) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If so, that would certainly be bad-ass...:beer:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Nice race, thanks for posting. Full exhaust, cold air intake, and a tune = 40hp/40tq+. He'll never catch you, even up top.

I beg to differ. The M5 would have eventually caught and passed him had the speeds been above 120. That M5 would pull past 200+, I don't see the BOSS getting past 180. Either way, once the BOSS hit 5th, that M5 was going to come around him.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
So was the boss.
Sorry but the Boss wouldn't be in the lead passing 120 against the M5. Those things are just beasts from HIGH speed rolls. 7 gears, high gearing and that SMG tranny is no joke. Even if it weights at 4k+lbs.

Good kill O.P! And good call on those excuses lol!

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I beg to differ. The M5 would have eventually caught and passed him had the speeds been above 120. That M5 would pull past 200+, I don't see the BOSS getting past 180. Either way, once the BOSS hit 5th, that M5 was going to come around him.

eh, the point I was trying to make is that with 40hp/40tq more the Boss would be so far out in front of the M5 that it would take a 200mph race for the M5 to be victorious. I'm sure the M5 would eventually come around the Boss, but it aint happening till 130mph+

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
eh, the point I was trying to make is that with 40hp/40tq more the Boss would be so far out in front of the M5 that it would take a 200mph race for the M5 to be victorious. I'm sure the M5 would eventually come around the Boss, but it aint happening till 130mph+

He was only 10mph and a few seconds away from 130.. That m5 will just keep walking away even when the boss tops out.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Those cars are designed for the autobahn... they don't give a damn about dig racing in Germany. Massive top end acceleration.

NA_Cobra

Established Member

I Agree!:beer:

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Those cars are designed for the autobahn... they don't give a damn about dig racing in Germany. Massive top end acceleration.

This.

The 7-spd SMG E60 M5 with the governor removed is supposed to be a 205 mph car. They are REALLY nasty from highway rolls. I was driving an E63 AMG a few years ago and a buddy in a tuned E60 M5 with exhaust pulled up next to me on the highway at around 70 mph. We both hit it and he easily put 3-4 cars on me by 120 mph.

Either way, great kill OP. I am certainly impressed with everything I read about the Boss 302s. My neighbor has a white 2012 and I really want him to take me out for a spin. It sounds incredible and he told me that the exhaust is stock!

Users who are viewing this thread