Boss intake vs ported Boss intake Dyno

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
With this it make one wonder if just having some work done to the Stock Boss intake running Boss heads and doing a Cobra Jet or Comp cam change would be close to the whole CJ manifold change with no work done to the CJ as far as porting and polishing...

I worked on porting my new CJ intake last night and found a great Dremel tool "flapwheel" I used it with my veritable speed drill. works great, just 120 grit is the finest they make. so you have finished by hand with some 400 and 1500 to make it super smooth and that is where the work is.
Dremel does make a 320 grit finishing buff I might try that on the start of the Boss intake...

OP I haven't pulled my intake off yet the swap to CJ i plan on this friday but what I wonder if the outlets on the Boss intake look anything like the CJ intake does in Drews thread below. also any need to port the air intake side as well

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/955953-cobra-jet-manifold-reworking.html

4VFTW

Established Member
You don't need to make it any smoother than the 120 flapwheel. If just can't resist trying to make it smoother buy some crossbuffs and skip the fine sandpaper.

SCalla1384

Established Member
So today I got a chance to re-dyno after having a neutral profile relearn done, and Shaun sent me a revised tune...

PortedBossReTune_zps5d01158b.gif

Revised tune/neutral relearn vs ported boss

PortedBossVsRe-Tune_zpsb503847d.gif

At first, thought it was just weather. But Shaun said he was down about 20rwhp before getting a neutral profile relearn.

Pretty damn impressed!

corysmach1

Established Member
So today I got a chance to re-dyno after having a neutral profile relearn done, and Shaun sent me a revised tune...

PortedBossReTune_zps5d01158b.gif

Revised tune/neutral relearn vs ported boss

PortedBossVsRe-Tune_zpsb503847d.gif

At first, thought it was just weather. But Shaun said he was down about 20rwhp before getting a neutral profile relearn.

Pretty damn impressed!

Holy shit. Tell me more about this profile relearn!!?? Do I need to get a hold Shaun?

SCalla1384

Established Member
It's something really the dealer (or someone with a ford IDS) can perform. Only some cars needs it after a clutch swap. If you start throwing a misfire code

Shaun@AED

Neutral Profile Relearn is 100% necessary after a clutch swap, engine swap, or anytime the sensor and/or timing wheel are removed. Otherwise, there is no need for it and it will not do a thing.

corysmach1

Established Member
Neutral Profile Relearn is 100% necessary after a clutch swap, engine swap, or anytime the sensor and/or timing wheel are removed. Otherwise, there is no need for it and it will not do a thing.

Ok so when I do my clutch swap I can get with you on this rather than going to a dealer? I am tuned by you.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Yah seriously. I had to go to 3 dealers. 3rd one finally got it. It takes 5 mins to do... They'll charge you by the hour. Mine was $110

EJR

Established Member
Id like to see you put gear in it and dyno in fifth for an accurate comparison between the 2. I still find it hard to believe that removing some of the injector bosses was worth that much power. If thats the case... i shouldnt have a problem pulling 60 hp out of my CJ intake setup from the stock boss setup lol. I feel like there was a dyno variance in there somewhere even though the weather wasnt the cause. Because your curves are carbon copies. Its not like you picked up the power up top. You literally picked up from 3k all the way up equally. Usually when you see a graph like that, theres another variable. If that was an honest gain everywhere like that from 419 to 450.... you should be shocked at how much faster that car feels. I thought the 430 seemed spot on for what you had done to the car and what you made before. 3-5hp is what i would expect from massaging the runners and another 4-6hp from the clutch swap. Being you made 419 before those 2 parts... i in no way can see how its possible to go from 419whp to 445-450whp from a runner massage and clutch swap. I mean think about that. Im not trying to hate Shaun because you know Im only here to help you. I like seeing that thing get faster. But 450whp on that dyno just sounds incorrect. Im trying to be realistic is all. Hell i only made 430whp with a full exhaust, tune, air intake on a boss 302. To get to 455 took me and electric water pump, light clutch assembly, and some drivetrain efficiency mods.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
No dude I hear ya. I'm still hesitent on believing it actually made 450rw.

Only thing is, no I can't feel a 20hp difference. Some days I say "car feels faster today" could be weather, not driving the car for a couple days, not getting on it etc.. I honestly think feeling 20hp is a mental thing completely. That's just my opinion.. No right or wrong. I drive a 97 ranger sometimes back and forth to work. Get in my car and obviously it feels faster lol.

Only other thing i don't get, is comparing your Dyno numbers. You made the same amount you did last time. Stock GT made 378rwhp... Just seems off that you and stock GT were fine, normal whatever... But then mine?

Only other thing I can do (since track isn't open) is come back down in a few weeks to re-dyno.

Also, every run was in 4th gear (I'm sure you know) so it's a pretty accurate comparison. Still confused though lol

Last edited:

EJR

Established Member
I say get the gear in first and dyno fifth. That will take drivetrain variables off the table. The softwall tires dont like MPH. The wrinkle and skew numbers lower. Its just how a dyno jet works unfortunately. Im doing around 175mph in fifth at the end of my pull. You are turning around 145-150 at the end of fourth. The 450 might be honest... but you might make less with more gear dynoed in fifth on those big side wall tires. You saw what happened when you dynoed in fifth gear last time. You lost 30whp. Thats all because of the tires wrinkling at a high mph. I would expect you to make around 435 in fifth with 3.73s on those tires.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Yah for sure. Once it gets 3.73 I'll be back on the dyno.

But, I made 419rwhp before clutch/port in 4th. Seems accurate right? Made 430rwhp with port/clutch in 4th... Seems accurate from comparison. Then 450rw with retune/neutral relearn in 4th.. Like I said, just seems odd that this one time dynoing in 4th had an affect on drivetrain variables.

I guess I'm trying to justify it definitely making 450 lmao. But, if I'm literally making 450rwhp, I do 3.73's and dyno 5th.. I don't expect to lose 15rwhp. Considering it's probably about 5rwhp lower in 4th gear now vs 5th, then the gear swap will probably take away 5-10rwhp.

BUT.. Who knows. Really wish the track was open for a better comparison.
If it's 450rwhp and 3725lb race weight... I would expect it to be a 120-121mph car I guess?? But by the time I get to the track I'll have more done.

EJR

Established Member
Yah for sure. Once it gets 3.73 I'll be back on the dyno.

But, I made 419rwhp before clutch/port in 4th. Seems accurate right? Made 430rwhp with port/clutch in 4th... Seems accurate from comparison. Then 450rw with retune/neutral relearn in 4th.. Like I said, just seems odd that this one time dynoing in 4th had an affect on drivetrain variables.

I guess I'm trying to justify it definitely making 450 lmao. But, if I'm literally making 450rwhp, I do 3.73's and dyno 5th.. I don't expect to lose 15rwhp. Considering it's probably about 5rwhp lower in 4th gear now vs 5th, then the gear swap will probably take away 5-10rwhp.

BUT.. Who knows. Really wish the track was open for a better comparison.
If it's 450rwhp and 3725lb race weight... I would expect it to be a 120-121mph car I guess?? But by the time I get to the track I'll have more done.
Ruling out the retune... you still made 445whp with the exact same tune as when you made 430whp. And im not talking about losing power from the added friction of the 3.73s... which you will. Im talking about spinning the higher mph on the softwall tire which will show less power from the tire wrinkling. The drum is literally only measuring hp based off the acceleration of the drum. As the tire shrinks... the drum isnt accelerating as fast showing less power. Thats why i have you put a shit ton of tire pressure in the tires to help rule out tire changes mid pull. You should honestly dyno the car on your factory wheels since the low profile wont change at all during the pull.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Right ya, made 445rwhp on the other tune. So was the neutral profile relearn robbing 15rwhp? Then the tune picked up 5rwhp? Idk lol.

And yeah, I understand what you mean... To be honest I don't get to caught up on dyno #'s.. More so for comparison, but everyone loves a good dyno lol.

Users who are viewing this thread