Boss Valve Springs?

RFM50

Established Member
I'm currently in the process of forging my bottom end and was considering doing some valve springs as well. How well will boss valve springs work with a blown car?

silver50

Established Member
the boss valve springs are a good upgrade from stock, but you might want to look at the mmr valve springs as well.I know beefcake and a couple others are running them now. people were using the boss valve springs as an upgrade prior to the release of mmr valve springs. By the way, I would love to meet up with you sometime once you finish getting the car back together. I moved to phoenix at the beginning of the year. I love your set up and really wanted to see it at the track sadly when I planned to go to the track a couple of weeks ago I found out they closed both track here in Phoenix including Firebird where I believe you were running your car. going to be a sick build when your all done with it man :rockon:

RFM50

Established Member
the boss valve springs are a good upgrade from stock, but you might want to look at the mmr valve springs as well.I know beefcake and a couple others are running them now. people were using the boss valve springs as an upgrade prior to the release of mmr valve springs. By the way, I would love to meet up with you sometime once you finish getting the car back together. I moved to phoenix at the beginning of the year. I love your set up and really wanted to see it at the track sadly when I planned to go to the track a couple of weeks ago I found out they closed both track here in Phoenix including Firebird where I believe you were running your car. going to be a sick build when your all done with it man :rockon:

Ya for sure! Have you checked out the Pavillions car show yet in Scottsdale? Don't worry firebird should reopen for next season. The NHRA made comments at the winter nationals that the track would be on the schedule for 2014. The tribe is just working out some things first. What part of San Diego are you from? I grew up there!

I think I may just give the boss springs a try. I get that beef is using the mmr ones but I really don't plan on putting down that kind of power. I am hopping for between 7 and 800.

silver50

Established Member
Ya for sure! Have you checked out the Pavillions car show yet in Scottsdale? Don't worry firebird should reopen for next season. The NHRA made comments at the winter nationals that the track would be on the schedule for 2014. The tribe is just working out some things first. What part of San Diego are you from? I grew up there!

I think I may just give the boss springs a try. I get that beef is using the mmr ones but I really don't plan on putting down that kind of power. I am hopping for between 7 and 800.

I live on Friars Rd. right next to Fashion Valley mall in San Diego. I plan to go to the Pavillons, but need to finish up a couple projects on the car first. I started repainting my engine bay parts and need to finish the project first. I just have been so busy with work and going to school for my masters. Do you head out to the Pavillions at all?

RFM50

Established Member
I live on Friars Rd. right next to Fashion Valley mall in San Diego. I plan to go to the Pavillons, but need to finish up a couple projects on the car first. I started repainting my engine bay parts and need to finish the project first. I just have been so busy with work and going to school for my masters. Do you head out to the Pavillions at all?

I do when my car is running!

5.0GT

Established Member
I do when my car is running!

Last two times i went there there were less mustangs than usual. Hopefully after i fix my bumper cover i'll go to meet some of u guys.

I'd go with MMR in case i wanted to go for a higher power range since they are tested.

Last edited:

Torchy

Established Member
What would keep you from going with MMR? You looking to save some $$$? I think Livernois is making a spring. Call them.

RFM50

Established Member
What would keep you from going with MMR? You looking to save some $$$? I think Livernois is making a spring. Call them.

That's exactly it! I have dumped a bunch of money into the forged short block and don't have much more to spend. I saw the livernoise springs and would probably run those over MMR's set up. I really wasn't planning on changing out the springs at all until now.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
That's exactly it! I have dumped a bunch of money into the forged short block and don't have much more to spend. I saw the livernoise springs and would probably run those over MMR's set up. I really wasn't planning on changing out the springs at all until now.

amen bro.. real expensive hit, i finally get mine back the beginning of next week. i wish i got some valve springs myself while i was in the engine, but those extras like the billet oil gears, head cooling mod and ARP head studs made things escalate real fast.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:

RFM50

Established Member
Can someone please explain why these others springs are that much better than the springs out of the boss. I thought the boss heads were supposed to be some of the best out there.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
they aren't "better" per say

the stock springs are great

the boss have a tad more pressure, the livernois and mmr even more so.

if your not boosted, no real reason for the livernois or mmr springs

stang8psi

Established Member
they will be fine. like said, its a good upgrade from stock, but not as good as the more expensive springs.

stang8psi

Established Member

if your going through the trouble, do one of the better springs

I think money is the issue.. I can't be the only one who is actually reading and understand wants better while not spending 300+ dollars! boss springs are 60-75 bucks for all 32! I see a win win for op. better than stock,cheap and been proven to work!

jdcobra

Established Member
If there is one thing I've learned especially with a project like this it's that you want to do it right the first time. Just sayin. If you have to shell out a little more cash and you can afford it then do it. Just my 2 cents

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
i dont think that $300 is enough cash to make me not go with mmr springs. after all the motor is still out. i know that every little bit of money spent on the build adds up but i rather wait maybe a week or two to save 300 bucks than have to take out the heads and take them to the machine shop to change valve springs in the future after big boost. if big boost are not in future plans though then i would just go with the boss valve springs.

Users who are viewing this thread