Boss vs Shelby

redline

Established Member
i drove the kr to work today hmmmmmmmmmmmmm man its allllll good .

12C/OBoss

Established Member
:coolman: That is bad ass! How is it on the street? Do you drive it like you stole it?

I love the car...it pulls so hard it's scary!! I can't drive it like I stole it because I don't get traction till 4th and by then it's :uh oh: jailtime!!

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
get a new 5.0 with an auto

You don't want an automatic trans., unless you just cruise around town, or take vacations in it. It is based on a 4-6cyl. trans.(A4LD) from the 80's. Granted they have made great inprovements since then, but it will not take performance mods or spirited driving very long, without showing signs of fatigue(slipping). Plus, you can't make it shift firmer without triggering a PCM code.

Auto.= :bash:

chuckstang

Established Member
You don't want an automatic trans., unless you just cruise around town, or take vacations in it. It is based on a 4-6cyl. trans.(A4LD) from the 80's. Granted they have made great inprovements since then, but it will not take performance mods or spirited driving very long, without showing signs of fatigue(slipping). Plus, you can't make it shift firmer without triggering a PCM code.

Auto.= :bash:

Ooh you need to read up on the new 6sp auto. Its good for consistent 10s in the 1/4 with no other mods. The new manuals are garbage compared to the new autos. But i went manual for the fun factor!

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
With no real competition from the Camaro or Challenger we are forced to debate which mustang is better! Kudos to Ford.

Last edited:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I love the car...it pulls so hard it's scary!! I can't drive it like I stole it because I don't get traction till 4th and by then it's :uh oh: jailtime!!

What kind of power does it make on pump gas? I picked up the magazine but it looks like they only tested it on 15 and 18psi (in the artile). I know the GT is around 600 on pump, so I would guess it is around there.

SVTeveN

SVT
Established Member
2012 GT500 SVT Performance Package over here with no transmission problems. To be honest some of the people having problems with shifting, I feel are getting a little over excited and not fully engaging the clutch. Not saying all, but just some.

To be fair you shouldn't compare a 2007-2009 to a 2012 boss. Lets try 2012 GT500 SVTPP > 2012 boss. Unless you are some professional driver I'm pretty sure the gt500 will keep up on any track. Lets also say we had a budget of $1000 dollars to make either car go faster. Pulley and tune that Gt500 and BAM we have an extra 100hp to play with.

Either way I love both cars, but people make it sound like the boss is killing the gt500 on the track and that's definitely not the case against a 11/12 Gt500 with Performance Package.

Long live both cars!

MrBonus

Established Member
2012 GT500 SVT Performance Package over here with no transmission problems. To be honest some of the people having problems with shifting, I feel are getting a little over excited and not fully engaging the clutch. Not saying all, but just some.

To be fair you shouldn't compare a 2007-2009 to a 2012 boss. Lets try 2012 GT500 SVTPP > 2012 boss. Unless you are some professional driver I'm pretty sure the gt500 will keep up on any track. Lets also say we had a budget of $1000 dollars to make either car go faster. Pulley and tune that Gt500 and BAM we have an extra 100hp to play with.

Either way I love both cars, but people make it sound like the boss is killing the gt500 on the track and that's definitely not the case against a 11/12 Gt500 with Performance Package.

Long live both cars!

Comparing the two is somewhat silly as the GT500 would never even be on my radar for purchase. The Boss is built around chassis balance and the reliability of a N/A motor. Having to concern myself with heat soak or throttle modulation due to rear traction issues aren't things I want to think about during a track day. The GT500 is a wonderful car, no question, but a two-ton hammer doesn't pique my interest.

There is so much more to tracking a car than simply peak lap times. If that's anyone's primary concern, there are a ton of lightly used Z06s on Autotrader.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Lets also say we had a budget of $1000 dollars to make either car go faster. Pulley and tune that Gt500 and BAM we have an extra 100hp to play with.

when I pullied my 2011 Shelby I had zero traction until 3rd gear. The oem wheels/tire sizes suck a$$, and you have ZERO selection of sticky tires for a 19x9.5 wheel.......which means you have to either run a cheap set of drag wheels with drag tires or invest heavily in a set of nice forged/custom wheels/tires.

So while the Shelby is spinning it's tires ( and grinding 1-2 shift) and then getting heat soak after the 3rd pull, the Boss is stretching its legs and staying in its power band, with traction, and no overheating.

I love both cars, but the better car is "subjective.". The 2 cars are simply completely different. I'd still have my Shelby if it didn't have transmission issues, but I rolled the dice with the mt82 (so far so good, definitely no 1-2 grind). Although, I'm thankful I now own a Boss, such a pleasure to drive, truly an amazing car. Both cars are definitely bad a$$, glad Ford is providing us with such a selection.

SVTeveN

SVT
Established Member
Comparing the two is somewhat silly as the GT500 would never even be on my radar for purchase. The Boss is built around chassis balance and the reliability of a N/A motor. Having to concern myself with heat soak or throttle modulation due to rear traction issues aren't things I want to think about during a track day. The GT500 is a wonderful car, no question, but a two-ton hammer doesn't pique my interest.

There is so much more to tracking a car than simply peak lap times. If that's anyone's primary concern, there are a ton of lightly used Z06s on Autotrader.

The 2011-12 SVT PP is plenty balanced, Like I said if you're not a professional driver you won't even begin to push the limits of these cars to their full potential. Throttle modulation is half the fun of tracking your car, You don't want a car that is too easy and gets boring. Even a heat soaked gt500 pp will give the boss a run for it's money.

when I pullied my 2011 Shelby I had zero traction until 3rd gear. The oem wheels/tire sizes suck a$$, and you have ZERO selection of sticky tires for a 19x9.5 wheel.......which means you have to either run a cheap set of drag wheels with drag tires or invest heavily in a set of nice forged/custom wheels/tires.

So while the Shelby is spinning it's tires ( and grinding 1-2 shift) and then getting heat soak after the 3rd pull, the Boss is stretching its legs and staying in its power band, with traction, and no overheating.

I love both cars, but the better car is "subjective.". The 2 cars are simply completely different. I'd still have my Shelby if it didn't have transmission issues, but I rolled the dice with the mt82 (so far so good, definitely no 1-2 grind). Although, I'm thankful I now own a Boss, such a pleasure to drive, truly an amazing car. Both cars are definitely bad a$$, glad Ford is providing us with such a selection.

These cars put the power down on a road course once you get heat in the tires... Just as good as any boss. Like I said no 1-2 shift problems here and definitely don't have to worry about 1-2 shifts on a road course. If you were going to drag race a shelby I'd want to get slicks either way to handle all the hp/tq especially with a pulley/tune combo. Personally I'd rather have a bullet proof transmission and engine rather than a glass transmission made in china. Like I said I love both cars and would own both if I was rich. :beer:

MrBonus

Established Member
The 2011-12 SVT PP is plenty balanced, Like I said if you're not a professional driver you won't even begin to push the limits of these cars to their full potential. Throttle modulation is half the fun of tracking your car, You don't want a car that is too easy and gets boring. Even a heat soaked gt500 pp will give the boss a run for it's money.

The Boss has plenty of power to keep anyone entertained on a road course. Too much horsepower is ultimately a crutch for the mediocre driver. Ultimately, I find the GT500 wholly uninteresting.

Users who are viewing this thread