Bought another 5.0.... with issues already

stewarts2008

Established Member
Its at the dealer right now after I bought it last thursday. 3 out of the 5 days that i owned it, when i started it in the morning, i got what sounds like horrible belt squeal. Now, of course, the dealer cant replicate the issue, so i contacted ford customer care and am waiting to see what, if anything, is going to be done. I even showed the video to the service guy and he gave me the normal line that they have to reproduce it themselves. In case they keep giving me the run around, what do you guys think?

im thinking a/c belt, tensioner, or idler....

2014 mustang gt belt squeal HD - YouTube

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe try a different brand of belt. Just happened with our Explorer. Was squealing, replaced idler, belt, water pump..nothing. Different belt...gone.

curemystangitis

Professional Amateur
Established Member
Based on it only happening on a cold start after 10-12 hours it sounds like a material issue with the belt itself. Did the dealer leave it outside overnight? It looks as though your car was outside. I'd swap out that belt and I bet it goes away. I had an Explorer do the same thing as well. Fought the "we have to replicate it" fight until I became such a pain in their asses that they just replaced it. Don't be afraid to be a total annoyance until you get what you want. Good luck man and I feel for ya.

Nuar

Established Member
Def. Keep pestering them about it man. Brand new car with something like that is unaceptable.

Next time you record a video of it, film the noise, then walk over to the windshield vin number, get that in the shot and then the license plate for good mesure. If thats not proof enough, they are just plain dicking you around.

Last edited:

curemystangitis

Professional Amateur
Established Member
OMG I'm going crazy for you. I literally spent hours with the Exploder on this.

This was my resolution method:

1. Determine exact location of squeal.
2. Check pulley, bearings, and tensioner associated with.
3. Check belt ribs for abnormal wear/glazing/discoloration.
4. Check alignment of pulleys, determine if mounted flush (I used a laser)
4.5 Get f'n pissed
5. Show up to dealer with new belt (diff brand) in hand and tell them you are prepared to live there until the work is done.

Good luck!

stewarts2008

Established Member
OMG I'm going crazy for you. I literally spent hours with the Exploder on this.

This was my resolution method:

1. Determine exact location of squeal.
2. Check pulley, bearings, and tensioner associated with.
3. Check belt ribs for abnormal wear/glazing/discoloration.
4. Check alignment of pulleys, determine if mounted flush (I used a laser)
4.5 Get f'n pissed
5. Show up to dealer with new belt (diff brand) in hand and tell them you are prepared to live there until the work is done.

Good luck!

Thanks man, i have been almost certain that it was a belt from the start, but they wouldnt even change that out without putting me through the ringer. I got a feeling that the regional service manager through FordCare is going to step in and I should see some improvement in some service attitude.... we will see!

im starting to look around for a new a/c belt, but so far autozone only has the main drive belt

Last edited:

my95z28

Established Member
Def. Keep pestering them about it man. Brand new car with something like that is unaceptable.

Next time you record a video of it, film the noise, then walk over to the windshield vin number, get that in the shot and then the license plate for good mesure. If thats not proof enough, they are just plain dicking you around.

How are they supposed to troubleshoot a problem that they can't replicate? As everyone said, it could be multiple problems, Ford isn't just going to start throwing parts at a car. Hate to tell you OP, but video will do nothing. If their diagnosis is drive it a bit longer till it gets worse, then do so. I know its frustrating to have a brand new car with issues but their hands are tied until a technician can hear the noise for himself.

Zemedici

Established Member
How are they supposed to troubleshoot a problem that they can't replicate? As everyone said, it could be multiple problems, Ford isn't just going to start throwing parts at a car. Hate to tell you OP, but video will do nothing. If their diagnosis is drive it a bit longer till it gets worse, then do so. I know its frustrating to have a brand new car with issues but their hands are tied until a technician can hear the noise for himself.

thank you. :beer:

The technicians have to replicate the issue themselves so they can figure out its a current problem, not one from months ago/a different car/etc. If the car isnt acting up, its hard to diagnose. The dealership wants the business, as its warranty, and money in their pocket. Trust me, the dealership wants to work on your car. But they arent going to just throw random parts at the car hoping to fix it, as Ford wont reimburse them for that.

curemystangitis

Professional Amateur
Established Member
I get that they are not just going to throw parts and labor at an issue without being able to replicate it. Still though, the OP has an issue. In my experience, being polite but also firm and persistent is the only way to get things done with these type of gray area warranty issues. My local service manager actually thought it was funny when I showed up with the belt and a sleeping bag. All I'm saying is exceptions can be made. I bet if it was a tech's Mustang the work would have already been done.

Or the OP could just get a Paxton and huge BOV to out whistle the whistling belt!

R.R.STANG

Established Member
I have the same problem with my 2013 3.7 L . Sounds like I have a supercharger Lol. I only get the sound after I drive home work and park the car for bout 4-5 hours than start it up . Kinda wierd it only happens then but not in the morning after 10 hours.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
The belt just sounds dry to me. Its what we in The car business call " lot rot". Its when cars sit out in the weather on a dry cold lot for a while, belts can dry out from lack of use...a little belt dressing will kill that sound!

Users who are viewing this thread