Boxing the radiator and heat exchanger

haskett

Established Member
I finally completed the project to box my radiator and heat exchanger. I suspect there is a better way of doing this, but it worked well for me and I think it's going to last a long time.

This was not a difficult project, but it was EXTREMELY time consuming. You have to measure, cut, mock-up, cut more, mock-up, find holes, etc etc. You find yourself making very small changes at a time to be careful and taking things apart and putting back together continuously to get a good fit.

I used normal home tools, like a drill, vice, hammer, pliers, tin snips, wrenches, utility knife, hand rivet gun, and screwdrivers. A sheet metal brake would make it easier, but if you're patient with 2x4's and a hammer, you can get it done.

Supplies included 0.025" thick aluminum sheet metal from a hardware store, lots of #10-24 x 3/4" screws, wing nuts, washers, 1/8" aluminum rivets, small diameter vacuum hose (to protect the intercooler lines from the sharp edges), lots of cardboard, and 1/4" body panel plastic push pins (like used at the factory).

First, cut pieces of cardboard to approximate each of the panels. When you cut the cardboard, keep in mind that the sheet metal will be much stiffer and be sure to mark where you want attachment tabs. If you forget the tabs, you'll be throwing away your first set of cut sheet metal!

I ended up making 6 panels of sheet metal; 2 for each side (riveted together to create 1 panel per side) and 2 for the bottom (screwed together and also screwed to the bottoms of the side panels).

Rather than mocking up everything at once, work on one side, make/install the sheet metal, then move to the next side and repeat, then finally move to the bottom. You'll learn as you go, so you want to get each side done individually before repeating mistakes elsewhere.

Here is the top half of the right side.
IMG_2220_1_1.jpg

Here is the bottom half of the right side. I didn't get a pic of the other side, but it's similar without the intercooler holes.
IMG_2226_4_1.jpg

Here is the top half of the left side.
IMG_2205_2_1_1.jpg

IMG_2207_3_1_1.jpg

IMG_2209_4_1_1.jpg

Here are the two pieces for the bottom. Left is front and right is rear. Notice all of the holes for attachment points! Each one has to be very carefully located.
IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

Here is a shot from the bottom.
IMG_4141.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
NICE JOB!!!

You could actually sell those templates and mail them to ME!!! If they were not already converted to Aluminum and installed.

Seriously though AWESOME JOB!!:rockon::beer:

haskett

Established Member
What you ended up with before you put the bumper back on.
Unfortunately, I don't have any of those. I was in such a hurry to get the car ready for my next event that I skipped a lot of picture-taking. The next time I pull the bumper cover, I'll snap a pic, but hopefully that won't be for a long time!

The only pic I could find that might help is this. You can see the right panel sticking up from the crash beam next to the intercooler. Most of the panel is hidden by the crash beam. At the time this pic was taken, the left panel was not installed.
CarLightIMG_0901.jpg

NICE JOB!!!

You could actually sell those templates and mail them to ME!!! If they were not already converted to Aluminum and installed.

Seriously though AWESOME JOB!!:rockon::beer:
Thanks! I'm happy to share high-def versions of any pics, if that would help anyone create their own templates for their personal use.

Nice I'm sure If a few sets were produced they would sell quick
Given the effort that it took to build these, you couldn't pay me enough money in the world to do this. :) Like I told Jimmy above, I'm happy to share whatever I have to help others. If it would help, I could post where each of the holes in the bottom plate attaches.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Those pictures are a great help. I've been putting off a project like this for awhile.

Is the 'bump' piece to clear the H/E?

IMG_4141.jpg

DevilSun

Established Member
Very nice, I haven't gotten the bottom of mine done, but I got the sides and top done...and VERY well IMO. I'm super pleased with how it came out, but considering I had the A/C and radiator out, it made it much easier. I also wanted to show the HUGE gap around the A/C core, but only got a good shot or two...I could stick anyone of my fat fingers between it easily (until I used black foam)...

Last edited:

haskett

Established Member
Very nice, I haven't gotten the bottom of mine done, but I got the sides and top done...and VERY well IMO. I'm super pleased with how it came out, but considering I had the A/C and radiator out, it made it much easier. I also wanted to show the HUGE gap around the A/C core, but only got a good shot or two...I could stick anyone of my fat fingers between it easily (until I used black foam)..

nice! Keep us posted.

DevilSun

Established Member
Will do. Definitely not a hard to do mod, just as he said, EXTREMELY time consuming...and fairly painful. I did some nice sheet metal slicing and stabbing of my hands, even had a little curl spike stick me between my finger nail and my finger - hurt like hell. I too did all of mine using simple basic hand tools - tin snips, rivets and rivet gun, good hvac tape, lots of cardboard, scribes, etc.

I can't wait to see how well this helps cooling, because when it's all together, there is NO place for the air to go, except through. Between this, and a better vented heat extracting hood, air should flow real well...

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely not a hard to do mod, just as he said, EXTREMELY time consuming...and fairly painful.

Wow that looks awesome, keep us posted on your results. Thanks for the info, now im gonna add this to my list of DIY things to do!!!

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
has anyone thought of using pvc sheets instead of aluminum-when I talked to anderson ford they suggested I go to a hobby shop buy pvc sheets and use them to box everything in- performing bends with a heat gun I guess

haskett

Established Member
has anyone thought of using pvc sheets instead of aluminum-when I talked to anderson ford they suggested I go to a hobby shop buy pvc sheets and use them to box everything in- performing bends with a heat gun I guess

I thought about this, but the problem with PVC is that it won't bend at hard angles. So you can't make tabs to attach the sheets together and you have to be careful about the angles around obstructions like the HE.

haskett

Established Member
Will do. Definitely not a hard to do mod, just as he said, EXTREMELY time consuming...and fairly painful. I did some nice sheet metal slicing and stabbing of my hands, even had a little curl spike stick me between my finger nail and my finger - hurt like hell. I too did all of mine using simple basic hand tools - tin snips, rivets and rivet gun, good hvac tape, lots of cardboard, scribes, etc.

I can't wait to see how well this helps cooling, because when it's all together, there is NO place for the air to go, except through. Between this, and a better vented heat extracting hood, air should flow real well...

I totally agree on the pain. The other thing to be careful of is the little slivers that end up on the concrete. When you're sliding around on the ground, it's easy for them to end up in your back.

As far as assisting cooling, I'm pretty sure mine is doing some good. On the practice course yesterday, my coolant reached 209 while waiting in line. As soon as I ripped through the gears and reached 120 mph, it was already in the low 190's.

Last edited:

Zacharyx

Established Member
if I get the time I might be able to do a template or a couple of these, would have to borrow a friends cobra but that should not be an issue. I have been meaning to do this for my intercooler for a year so just always find something else to do instead.

Users who are viewing this thread