Boxing the radiator and heat exchanger

Tractionless1

Established Member
Same can be done much easier on the bottom with a piece of ABS plastic. Simply heat and it conforms, no cutting around things. I updated the setup by extending the plastic back past the diffuser closing in the space between the HE and rad. I have enough stuff crapping up the spaces next to the HE that I didn't need any other material on the sides.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/737111-simple-he-box-project.html

racebronco2

Established Member
I really commend your work here.
I sure hope it pays off for you though.
IMHO its not gonna make anything cooler.

And your conclusion is based on what logic? .......

I too would like to know what proof he has that it doesn't help. I sure could've saved alot of time.

Looks good haskett, wish mine looked that good.

haskett

Established Member
I too would like to know what proof he has that it doesn't help. I sure could've saved alot of time.

Looks good haskett, wish mine looked that good.

Thanks!

So here are the results...

Two years ago at BBORR, I ran the 140 mph class and overheated the engine (limp-home mode) halfway through the second leg. I don't know what temp triggers limp home mode, but it must be at least 225.

I returned to the same event and same class this year with opened heat extractors, put in a remote oil cooler, and boxed radiator / heat extractor. No other changes to the cooling system. The coolant stayed in the 190's and 200's throughout high speed driving at high RPM for 25-minute sessions, never reaching 210. Incidentally, my coolant reached 225 while driving in the parade.

I would say these three mods did the trick!!! I'm extremely pleased with the results, which far exceeded my expectations.

Now I'm starting to think about bumping up the boost......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread