Brake Check Causes Crash; Under Investigation

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
Saw the video a few days back. As much as I want to blame the tailgater, the driver holding up the L lane (passing lane) could also be at fault. All he or she had to do was speed up and move out of the way and let the tailgater pass. Simple.

It pisses me off when someone holds the L lane and drives the same speed as the slow (R) lane. When you attempt to pass on the right lane, they speed up, preventing you from passing if there are cars a head of you in your lane. Happens here in MN all the time...

Here's a direct video [video=youtube;eSE3fkeHAmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSE3fkeHAmo[/video]

Last edited:

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
That douchebag break checker should have moved the **** over. I hate people who think it is their job to slow people down who want to do a little over the speed limit.

Then again, I hate tailgaters too...

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
From my understanding (not sure if this is true or not) the vehicle being tailgated was passing the semi truck that was recording. (Obviously the vehicle approached the truck while the were in the right hand lane) If that is true, I don't blame them for not getting over when they are next to an on ramp.

Either way, the person tailgating can go **** themselves. Nothing i despise more.

mosconiac

Established Member
This is one (rare) case where I can't blame the douche camping out in the L lane...if that IS what he was doing. They couldn't/shouldn't get over due to merging traffic, so tailgater screwed himself.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I dislike people lounging in the left lane, but you don't merge right when at an onramp. That other SUV was merging onto the highway. The tailgater was driving like a dick and got what he deserved. Had he waited another 30-60 seconds, the front most SUV might have gotten over once safe.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
That guy was past the rig waaay before the ramp. He had plenty of time to merge right without cutting off the rig and leaving plenty of room for someone to merge from that ramp. He was being a dick.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
That guy was past the rig waaay before the ramp. He had plenty of time to merge right without cutting off the rig and leaving plenty of room for someone to merge from that ramp. He was being a dick.

Huh?

0:14 the front SUV is fully on screen.
0:15 you can see the 3rd SUV making its way down the merge ramp
0:17 the rear SUV is now fully on screen.
0:26: Front SUV and merging SUV are side by side, with the merging SUV not yet fully in the lane.
0:30 Front SUV hits the brakes

The front SUV didn't have time to merge over yet, and has the rear SUV on his ass. Plus some drivers accelerate more so once fully in their lane. More reason the front SUV should not have quickly jerked the wheel and merged in 2 seconds.

The tailgating SUV was an ass, and I'm fine with the videos outcome....and I'm one who does drive fast, and will hit my brights if you're in the left lane. I will however not ride anyone's ass at an unsafe distance.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Huh?

0:14 the front SUV is fully on screen.
0:15 you can see the 3rd SUV making its way down the merge ramp
0:17 the rear SUV is now fully on screen.
0:26: Front SUV and merging SUV are side by side, with the merging SUV not yet fully in the lane.
0:30 Front SUV hits the brakes

The front SUV didn't have time to merge over yet, and has the rear SUV on his ass. Plus some drivers accelerate more so once fully in their lane. More reason the front SUV should not have quickly jerked the wheel and merged in 2 seconds.

The tailgating SUV was an ass, and I'm fine with the videos outcome....and I'm one who does drive fast, and will hit my brights if you're in the left lane. I will however not ride anyone's ass at an unsafe distance.

At 00:16 I would have been blinkering in in front of that rig just like the mini van did at 00:10. The guy on the ramp has plenty of room to speed up or slow down to merge into traffic. You've left him a least half a foot ball field to merge. Remember he yields to you.

Chris0304

Established Member
Haha hopefully nobody was injured but I agree w the above comments. Give the guy a chance to get back in the right lane after he clears that on ramp. On another note if ur gonna ride someone's ass, make sure ur ready for the break check! He clearly wasn't ready! Lol

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Tailgating is a minor, following to closely ticket, Brake checking is a reckless driving ticket that could lead to jail time. The idiots that brake check are deliberately trying to cause an accident. Glad there was video of it.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The Edge was moving much faster than the semi and was keeping pace with the town & country mini-van that changed lanes before the accident based on what I saw.

I have a tendency to get very angry and every asshole that thinks it is OK to drive close to me, especially at stop lights where they stop their car within a foot of yours. I've been known to reverse my car and give them a wave so they get the hint. In my younger days, I would have brake checked the shit out of this guy.

For those that don't want the video and think the Ford Edge is at fault

Edge was moving along with traffic.
Trailblazer rode the Edge's ass for over 10 seconds and probably hundreds of feet.
There is no proof that prior to the dash cam footage, this trailblazer could have been on this guy's ass for longer.

Some also say the Edge should have moved over. However, if you're in such a hurry, playing devil's advocate, you can move over too. In this case, the Trailblazer had plenty of time to go around the Edge, instead, he chose to get on the guys ass and be a tough guy.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
From an insurance standpoint, both drivers would be faulted here. Near a 50/50 split if I had to take any guesses. Two wrongs don't make a right and while it's illegal to tailgate, it's also illegal to break-check another vehicle. The driver in front would likely also be charged for leaving the scene of an accident. Whether you believe he was in the right or not is irrelevant. He caused that wreck.

I do hope this is actually under investigation and that both parties are sited for their stupidity.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Why should the Edge have to merge over to the right lane when another car is merging onto the hwy? What was the speed limit and how fast was the Edge going while it was getting tailgated? I personally think the tailgater got what they deserved and I'm sure they will not be following someone that close again. If I've learned anything over the years, speeding and tailgating gets you no where any faster than if you relax a bit and give some space. I've had plenty of people blow past me on the hwy and then 5-10 min later when I take my exit, I pull right up behind them at the stop sign.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
From an insurance standpoint, both drivers would be faulted here. Near a 50/50 split if I had to take any guesses. Two wrongs don't make a right and while it's illegal to tailgate, it's also illegal to break-check another vehicle. The driver in front would likely also be charged for leaving the scene of an accident. Whether you believe he was in the right or not is irrelevant. He caused that wreck.

I do hope this is actually under investigation and that both parties are sited for their stupidity.
This! IMO both drivers are at fault. I do, though, fault the Blazer more than the Edge, since it was borderline understandable that the Edge couldn't pull over that soon with oncoming vehicles merging from the on-ramp. It's very common for oncoming cars to speed up while merging, making switching lanes at point understandably risky. It is also very possible that the Edge purposely did not want to merge right because he was angry that the Blazer was tailgating him. Either way, they both should have to share the blame IMO.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Did not a single soul see the rare, endangered species tit-field mouse run out into that left lane. The driver wasn't brake checking....he was trying to spare the life of that poor little, tiny endangered critter. Tailgater got what he deserved. Probably a Hillary supporter anyways.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Hopefully the brake-checker gets charged and sent to jail. Get the hell out of the left lane. Nothing is more infuriating than people creating needless traffic by poking along in the left lane. Maybe everyone else took a different version of driver education than I did, but I was taught drive right pass left. Seems simple enough to me.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Hopefully the brake-checker gets charged and sent to jail. Get the hell out of the left lane. Nothing is more infuriating than people creating needless traffic by poking along in the left lane. Maybe everyone else took a different version of driver education than I did, but I was taught drive right pass left. Seems simple enough to me.

Perhaps you missed the whole 2 parts where 1....he was passing a tractor-trailer, and 2....there was another vehicle merging from the on-ramp after he completed the pass. Asswipe in the Chebby could've waited at least another 3-4 seconds before showing how stupid he is.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Perhaps you missed the whole 2 parts where 1....he was passing a tractor-trailer, and 2....there was another vehicle merging from the on-ramp after he completed the pass. Asswipe in the Chebby could've waited at least another 3-4 seconds before showing how stupid he is.

There was plenty of room for left lane poker to get in the right lane where he belongs.

Users who are viewing this thread