Brake Check Causes Crash; Under Investigation

10splaya22

Established Member
At 00:16 I would have been blinkering in in front of that rig just like the mini van did at 00:10. The guy on the ramp has plenty of room to speed up or slow down to merge into traffic. You've left him a least half a foot ball field to merge. Remember he yields to you.

I usually drive faster than the surrounding traffic but I disagree. I think the driver in front did fine in giving the person space to merge. I was always taught to give people room and move to the left during a merge. When factoring in the first SUV passing the semi too it all comes down to the Trailblazer being a douche. Yes the Edge could have gone faster but I see much worse driving every day.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
There was plenty of room for left lane poker to get in the right lane where he belongs.

Patience is the key though. Nobody has that shit anymore. As I stated before, the Chebby driver could've allowed him 3-4 more SECONDS to make sure the other vehice in the right lane coming on from the ramp wasn't going to floor it and cause a crash when the left laner tried to move over.

Why are common courtesy and DEFENSIVE driving such subjects that are so hard to comprehend anymore?

Zemedici

Established Member
Would have all been avoided if homeboy in the edge wasn't going 12 in the fast lane. All there is to it.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Everyone has an opinion, even if it is ignorant.

Case in point, Edge driver R E A C T E D to someone P R O A C T I V E L Y being a D-Bag. Yet, the Edge driver is the asshole, the guy going 12 MPH, he should have moved over causing the guy merging to slow down, panic, etc.

Or, the logical thing to do would be to not tail gate someone because you most likely want to do 10-15 MPH over the limit and try to bully someone out of your way.

Coiled03

Established Member
In general, I wish left lane bandits would die in a ball of fire.

In this case, though, there's not enough info. Don't know what the speed limit was, and the relative speed of the guy in front. If he's already going 10 over, give him some freakin time to move over. If he's just blocking traffic, see above.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member

Case in point, Edge driver R E A C T E D to someone P R O A C T I V E L Y being a D-Bag. Yet, the Edge driver is the asshole, the guy going 12 MPH, he should have moved over causing the guy merging to slow down, panic, etc.

Or, the logical thing to do would be to not tail gate someone because you most likely want to do 10-15 MPH over the limit and try to bully someone out of your way.

Bully? Don't be a clown. While I don't agree with riding someone's ass that close, do you think the Edge would have moved over with a flash of the lights? Would that have been bullying too? .....There are two sides at fault here. If someone is aggressive in the fast lane, riding your ass, all you need to do is slow down, move over when it's appropriate and let them pass. Take the ego out of it. No need to "react to someone proactively being a d-bag". I take from your comments you would have probably reacted in the same manner as the Edge.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Bully? Don't be a clown. While I don't agree with riding someone's ass that close, do you think the Edge would have moved over with a flash of the lights? Would that have been bullying too? .....There are two sides at fault here. If someone is aggressive in the fast lane, riding your ass, all you need to do is slow down, move over when it's appropriate and let them pass. Take the ego out of it. No need to "react to someone proactively being a d-bag". I take from your comments you would have probably reacted in the same manner as the Edge.

Yes, bully. Clearly the driver of the TB thought it was OK to fly up within a couple of feet to the Edge at high speeds and maintain extremely close proximity.

Years ago, I would have. I H A T E people that drive close and tail gate. If they want to crash into a 5,000 LB SUV, go for it.

I have a lot more courtesy and just move over. However, if I cannot move over due to traffic catching up in other lanes, I'll wait until I pass someone and then move over. If you want to be a **** sucker and ride my ass, I'll empty my entire windshield reservoir on you and take my foot off the gas and slow down to about 30 MPH.

Treat others as you'd want to be treated. You, nor the tailgater in this video own the road. If you think you do, you've got major issues pal.

Again, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Both drivers failed here. One caused the other to reprise and it went downhill from there. Takes two to tango.

Zemedici

Established Member

Lmao. You're referring to an ADULT giving in to bullying while driving? Good lord. Come on man were grown this isn't middle school.

They're both assholes. However if the edge didn't want to be tailgated he could have sped up, changed lanes, let him pass, etc. again, easily would have defused the situation. But instead he brake checked like an immature douchebag. Two wrongs don't make a right. Just be the bigger person. It's traffic, who gives a ****.

I'm ALWAYS the one going faster than anyone else, ask any of the members on this board who have drove with me. That being said if I'm going over the speed limit and someone comes flying up behind me, I move a lane over. It's what you're supposed to do. I don't get this whole wannabe Macho ass 'no I'm gonna teach him a LESSON, he doesn't need to go that fast, so imma camp in front of him'

Called impeding the speed of traffic, and is also illegal

musclefan21

Established Member
if anyone asks you to define overreacting to something, show them this video. That driver went nuts to that steering wheel which ultimately caused it to go off road. Both idiots.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, bully.

If you want to be a **** sucker and ride my ass, I'll empty my entire windshield reservoir on you and take my foot off the gas and slow down to about 30 MPH.

Who's the bully?

Left lane pokers wouldn't get tailgated if they weren't impeding traffic in the left lane to begin with. Drive right, pass left, nobody gets tailgated. It really is that simple.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

He did slow down lol

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Lmao. You're referring to an ADULT giving in to bullying while driving? Good lord. Come on man were grown this isn't middle school.

They're both assholes. However if the edge didn't want to be tailgated he could have sped up, changed lanes, let him pass, etc. again, easily would have defused the situation. But instead he brake checked like an immature douchebag. Two wrongs don't make a right. Just be the bigger person. It's traffic, who gives a ****.

I'm ALWAYS the one going faster than anyone else, ask any of the members on this board who have drove with me. That being said if I'm going over the speed limit and someone comes flying up behind me, I move a lane over. It's what you're supposed to do. I don't get this whole wannabe Macho ass 'no I'm gonna teach him a LESSON, he doesn't need to go that fast, so imma camp in front of him'

Actually, yes. Do you know who the driver was of the Edge? Some people lack common sense and they feel to tap the brakes is the right thing. Could have been a scared female driver, or an older person. Then again, that was not a hard brake check by any means. Hard would have been where you see tire marks from the Edge stopping.

Driver of the TB flew up on the Edge, didn't expect him to tap his brakes, panicked, overcorrected and bam, won a stupid prize.

In IL, it is only illegal on major highways. See as I-41 is not a major highway will 3-4 lanes like most in the Mid-west, not sure if a LEO would have said to move within 4-5 cars of a Semi, a Mini-van and a guy merging from the right. That is a little hard to to and passive drivers or careful ones won't make a split second decision to fly over like that just to move out of the way of someone.

As I said, if you come flying up on me in traffic when it will be hard or challenging for me to get out of your way, I'll slow down to very low speeds until you back off and I can move over.

Every driver is different and some react this way when they are scared or just being dicks to other dicks on the road.

No offense, but you're part of the younger generation that has the mentality that you own the road and people should just jump out of your way because you're faster. Not how it works. At least, that's what I get from your posts. Sorry if I misunderstood or judged you incorrectly.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Who's the bully?

Left lane pokers wouldn't get tailgated if they weren't impeding traffic in the left lane to begin with. Drive right, pass left, nobody gets tailgated. It really is that simple.

The TB flew up on the Edge, and did NOT back off until he lost it.

Read my other post to Zemedici, that further explains what I would tell you as well.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
No offense, but you're part of the younger generation that has the mentality that you own the road

As I said, if you come flying up on me in traffic when it will be hard or challenging for me to get out of your way, I'll slow down to very low speeds until you back off

Who thinks that they own the road?

You're really good at talking out both sides of your mouth - you should give ventriloquism a go.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Who thinks that they own the road?

You're really good at talking out both sides of your mouth - you should give ventriloquism a go.

Based on this comment:

Basically, this was said loosely as if the Edge was tying up traffic for miles and miles and automatically, the driver going slower should move over regardless of merging traffic and being in between a semi and another car.

Now, take that comment, combine it with the TB flying up on the Edge hoping that him on his ass will make him move over. That is the general consensus when you're tailgating someone going slower than you, no?

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Who's the bully?

Again, your blindness to the video is clouding the judgement your brain is giving to your mouth to speak. The Edge WAS PASSING THE TRACTOR-TRAILER......that is a big, plain, simple duh-huh right there. Then, add in the other vehicle coming on from the on-ramp, and the driver of the Edge made a PROPER DEFENSIVE DECISION to stay where he was. Now, was it a good decision to brake check the TB? Probably not, BUT, had the driver of the TB not been an overly aggressive asshole, he may not have gotten brake-checked.

Believe it or not, not everybody drives on the interstate like it is a NASCAR track with tail-lights and blinkers.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Based on this comment:

Basically, this was said loosely as if the Edge was tying up traffic for miles and miles and automatically, the driver going slower should move over regardless of merging traffic and being in between a semi and another car.

Now, take that comment, combine it with the TB flying up on the Edge hoping that him on his ass will make him move over. That is the general consensus when you're tailgating someone going slower than you, no?

What does any of that have to do with you laying out exactly how you act like an asshole on the road instead of just driving in the right lane?

Again, your blindness to the video is clouding the judgement your brain is giving to your mouth to speak. The Edge WAS PASSING THE TRACTOR-TRAILER......that is a big, plain, simple duh-huh right there. Then, add in the other vehicle coming on from the on-ramp, and the driver of the Edge made a PROPER DEFENSIVE DECISION to stay where he was. Now, was it a good decision to brake check the TB? Probably not, BUT, had the driver of the TB not been an overly aggressive asshole, he may not have gotten brake-checked.

Believe it or not, not everybody drives on the interstate like it is a NASCAR track with tail-lights and blinkers.

At 16 seconds the Edge had completed his pass and should have moved to the right lane. The merging car has to yield right of way, not the other way around, and he had plenty of time and room to get on the road. The driver of the Edge decided they were going to be a jackass like Grabber ("will be hard or challenging for me to get out of your way, I'll slow down to very low speeds until you back off") and will pay the price with a reckless driving charge.

Again. Drive right, pass left. Very simple way to not have to worry about tailgaters or how you'll exact your revenge on them.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Looks like the TB driver got off light to me. I have no problems with speeders since I drive fast myself , I will move over if you're driving faster than I am. Douches tho? Let's tango.

Did not a single soul see the rare, endangered species tit-field mouse run out into that left lane. The driver wasn't brake checking....he was trying to spare the life of that poor little, tiny endangered critter. Tailgater got what he deserved. Probably a Hillary supporter anyways.

He did slow down lol

:lol:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
What does any of that have to do with you laying out exactly how you act like an asshole on the road instead of just driving in the right lane?

At 16 seconds the Edge had completed his pass and should have moved to the right lane. The merging car has to yield right of way, not the other way around, and he had plenty of time and room to get on the road. The driver of the Edge decided they were going to be a jackass like Grabber ("will be hard or challenging for me to get out of your way, I'll slow down to very low speeds until you back off") and will pay the price with a reckless driving charge.

Being a bit judgmental, are we? So, is it worse if I slow down if you come flying up on my ass and continue to stay on my ass or should I just hit the brakes?

Lot more mature than hitting the brakes potentially causing an accident.

I like how you chose to take apart my sentence when I stated I would either slow down to very low speeds or empty. my windshield reservoir out on you.

You're from a more rural area with a lot less traffic than where I'm from. Not every driver will think like you and be able to calculate what someone from the other lane will do since they are moving while also thinking about the guy that is on their ass. Keep that in mind rather than be biased and have an expectation that every driver is equal or every driver will drive like you think they will or should.

I have no expectations for people on the road anymore as everyone I see on the daily commute is an asshole one way or the other. I just let people go around me and move out of the way when I can without causing conflict.

To respond to your comment about "driving in the right lane" I do. I'm actually a very safe and courteous driver these days. I pass left, drive right all the time. I won't lane hog or hold up traffic. In this case, the Edge was passing the truck, in case you didn't see that. Most likely the truck was causing the impeding since the Town & Country mini van passed him and got in front and both the Edge and TB handily passed the truck as well. What does that say?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread