Brake fluid!

A DuB

Established Member
Going road racing with my stock 2010. Im going to install brake ducts before i go to the event. I will be on the track (homestead miami speedway) for a 30 minute sessions. I need some knind of brake fluid that will be acceptable for heavy braking and wont boil out. I know a few of you road race/ auto x. Any recommendations? Could i leave it in for street driving or would i need to replace with basic dot 3 fluid? Thanks

*SVT*

What next?
Established Member
Wagner makes a DOT 5.1 that is not silicone bass. It can be mixed with regular DOT 3 with no worries. It has a higher boiling point. I can't remember what it is but can check when at work tomorrow.

slocum1946

singularity
Established Member
I thought DOT 5 was not supposed to be used? Wouldn't a high quality DOT 4 be the choice?

Last edited:

DaFreak

Established Member
If Van was here I know he would recommend Brembo LCF600 plus.

He did for me (along with these other goodies) and it worked flawlessly for my 2 track days earlier this year.

DSC02075.jpg

DSC02074.jpg

BTW - Sick color combo

Last edited:

A DuB

Established Member

He did for me (along with these other goodies) and it worked flawlessly for my 2 track days earlier this year.

BTW - Sick color combo

Can you keep that fluid in the car for street driving?

Our color combo must be the choice for road racing! :rockon:

DaFreak

Established Member
Can you keep that fluid in the car for street driving?

I do. I put the new fluid in last May and it's been there ever since. No issues on the street. Not sure how long I should go before I change it out but I assume it's a long while for me as she's not a DD.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

DSC02075.jpg

DSC02074.jpg

BTW - Sick color combo

The Brembo fluid is pretty damn good, I will fully agree. But you have to remember, with a GT500 you are driving THE heaviest Mustang ever built! Front brakes get real hot in these cars on track. Particularly when they are driven anywhere near their limit. You want the best brake fluid you can get. I'd recommend this:

31NlsxrXB5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BTW, what did they hit you up for those rotors?!!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

DaFreak

Established Member
The Brembo fluid is pretty damn good, I will fully agree. But you have to remember, with a GT500 you are driving THE heaviest Mustang ever built! Front brakes get real hot in these cars on track. Particularly when they are driven anywhere near their limit. You want the best brake fluid you can get. I'd recommend this:

31NlsxrXB5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BTW, what did they hit you up for those rotors?!!

Good to know. I'm a big Amsoil fluid junky and I have a bunch of this sitting in the garage right now - Amsoil Never tried it but looks pretty good. I might try it soon.

5000 Series rotors were $450 a pop. I'm running the 4000's in the rear which ran $180 each.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Castrol SRF is expensive, about $80.00 per bottle. OUCH!

IMO, paying $80.00 per bottle is too expensive. It's more economical to use a cheaper fluid, i.e. ATE Super Blue, and chang it every year for street use, or every track season.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Good to know. I'm a big Amsoil fluid junky and I have a bunch of this sitting in the garage right now - Amsoil Never tried it but looks pretty good. I might try it soon.

I have never swapped the brake fluid in my Shelby, yet....

I know that seems hard to believe, but since I do not road race I haven't felt the need. Although, now it is about time to do it just because the fluid has been in the car since December 2008 (almost 3 years now). I will be using Amsoil's racing brake fluid for street use, although....I will not be a good candidate for testing it to the extreme. Other than a 140-60 heavy brake use on "Mexican Street" runs, I never had a heavy demand for the brakes in my car. No road racing tracks anywhere close to me, and that may be a good thing. I don't want to get "bit" by the bug. :thumbsup:

cluscher

Established Member

I know that seems hard to believe, but since I do not road race I haven't felt the need. Although, now it is about time to do it just because the fluid has been in the car since December 2008 (almost 3 years now). I will be using Amsoil's racing brake fluid for street use, although....I will not be a good candidate for testing it to the extreme. Other than a 140-60 heavy brake use on "Mexican Street" runs, I never had a heavy demand for the brakes in my car. No road racing tracks anywhere close to me, and that may be a good thing. I don't want to get "bit" by the bug. :thumbsup:

Actually.........you do. :poke: Nothing compares except between the sheets, in a different way of course. :coolman:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Castrol SRF is expensive, about $80.00 per bottle. OUCH!

IMO, paying $80.00 per bottle is too expensive. It's more economical to use a cheaper fluid, i.e. ATE Super Blue, and chang it every year for street use, or every track season.

You can find it for less than that if you shop around:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-SRF-Brake-Fluid/dp/B000JL760C"]Amazon.com: Castrol SRF Brake Fluid: Automotive[/ame]

Brake fluid, like oil, costs more if you want the best! ;-)

There really is no need to swap your fluid if you're not road racing. Street driving and drag racing is like 'vacation' mode for the brakes that came on your car! You'd be good with bleeding your system every 5 years. :read:

I will not be a good candidate for testing it to the extreme. Other than a 140-60 heavy brake use on "Mexican Street" runs, I never had a heavy demand for the brakes in my car.

That wouldn't even get racing pads up to temp. :poke:

I never had a heavy demand for the brakes in my car. No road racing tracks anywhere close to me, and that may be a good thing. I don't want to get "bit" by the bug. :thumbsup:

This could be a blessing in disguise. People think that drag racing is fun and surely I will admit it's fun, but it only lasts 11 seconds or so. Imagine what 30 minutes is like once you introduce some steering wheel and brake action into the mix! :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread