Branded title, honest opinions?

yfz162

88mph....serious shit!!!!
Established Member
So I have talked to a guy that has a cobra for sale with a branded title. The car was a factory buy-back vehicle. Do not know why it was purchased back by the dealer, but the car has not been in any accidents or flood damage. How much does this hurt the value? Knowing it's a buy-back, would that stop you from purchasing?

Thanks

boost88

Established Member
Isn't there a guy on here who runs carfax reports. I'm pretty sure that would have the info on it. A branded title is not a death sentence imo. If you are on a budget and want this to keep and drive for a long time it MIGHT be a good way to save some money. What are the details on the car? Price, miles etc

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You just have to know up front the value it lost so you don’t pay too much and also that it will be harder to sell. Try to get the Oasis report from Ford.

SilverGTvert

Established Member
I’ve been through this process. I can tell you the manufacturer fights tooth and nail to not buy it back. A buyback under the lemon law means the car has significant issues that were not repairable after 3 attempts. I wouldn’t touch it.

03' White Snake

Established Member
All depends if you are buying to keep it a long time and are going to enjoy it, if you are trying to hold onto it and make money, then no. It will always be worth less, how much....On average, a branded title is instant 20% drop. Even if it is a reconstructed titled.

I work with a guy that bought a 17' King Ranch with 10k miles on it as a dealer buy back in 17'. Was a 70k truck. He paid around 50k for it. One hell of a deal. But again, he is not trying to make money on it. He is using it for what it is, a truck.

yfz162

Established Member
You just have to know up front the value it lost so you don’t pay too much and also that it will be harder to sell. Try to get the Oasis report from Ford.

Do you know if this can be retrieved from any Ford dealer or just the dealer it was originally sold from? I will have to look into this.....thanks

yfz162

Established Member
When the manufacturer buys back the car, the title gets branded? What does it say?

I have not seen the title. I am 13hrs away from the individual selling the car. I will see if he will send me good photos of the title so I can share.

yfz162

Established Member
I’ve been through this process. I can tell you the manufacturer fights tooth and nail to not buy it back. A buyback under the lemon law means the car has significant issues that were not repairable after 3 attempts. I wouldn’t touch it.

According to the carfax, the vehicle was bought back by the dealership with only 2800 miles on it. The guy probably bought it cheap and wasn't worried about the branded title because he was rebuilding the car with all aftermarket parts. I don't think he expected to be selling it, but hard to say. He came across some land he is interested in buying so he is trying to free up funds. Is he lying because he is having all kinds of problems with the car? That I cannot answer. It is a 1000 rwhp twin turbo build with some top shelf parts, I do know that.

yfz162

Established Member
All depends if you are buying to keep it a long time and are going to enjoy it, if you are trying to hold onto it and make money, then no. It will always be worth less, how much....On average, a branded title is instant 20% drop. Even if it is a reconstructed titled.

I work with a guy that bought a 17' King Ranch with 10k miles on it as a dealer buy back in 17'. Was a 70k truck. He paid around 50k for it. One hell of a deal. But again, he is not trying to make money on it. He is using it for what it is, a truck.

Not a car I would be looking to flip, no. The idea was to buy a low mile car that has tasteful mods, use it for cruise events, keep the miles low for the next 10-15 years and sell when I am too old for the car lol. It's hard to say what these cars will be worth in the coming years, but I would like to make some money or at least break even on the car. That said, the carfax gave a value of about 15K because of the title status, 9 owners and 2 reported accidents to the passenger side and passenger front corner. Both accidents were described as minor and moderate. The moderate accident was a passenger side guard rail scrape/hit. That said, the guy is asking 30K for the car lol. I mean, with a clean carfax, yes...... Car's mileage is in the 28K range.

On a side note, I can't believe how hard it is to buy one of these cars FML.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
$30K for a Terminator with a branded title and multiple accidents (even though they appear to have been minor/moderate)? NO! That's crazy, as you probably feel as well. Not even close to what you should consider paying. Be patient and you'll find one you're more comfortable with, personally and financially.

As a side note, I'm not sure you really want a Terminator modded to the extent this one is if you're looking to buy one with "tasteful" mods. That engine is highly modified and over time will require more maintenance attention than one at the 550-600whp range. JMO.

yfz162

Established Member
$30K for a Terminator with a branded title and multiple accidents (even though they appear to have been minor/moderate)? NO! That's crazy, as you probably feel as well. Not even close to what you should consider paying. Be patient and you'll find one you're more comfortable with, personally and financially.

As a side note, I'm not sure you really want a Terminator modded to the extent this one is if you're looking to buy one with "tasteful" mods. That engine is highly modified and over time will require more maintenance attention than one at the 550-600whp range. JMO.

Yes, after I told the guy about the carfax report he was bummed. I don't think he knew it had been in a wreck, let alone two. He said he has had the car completely apart and never saw anything that would make him feel it's been wrecked. I told him his best bet would be to find a buyer looking for something to convert into a race car. He will not get squat for it in the open market with it's history. But yes, I am staying away unless he offers it up for 15K lol.

03' White Snake

Established Member
According to the carfax, the vehicle was bought back by the dealership with only 2800 miles on it. The guy probably bought it cheap and wasn't worried about the branded title because he was rebuilding the car with all aftermarket parts. I don't think he expected to be selling it, but hard to say. He came across some land he is interested in buying so he is trying to free up funds. Is he lying because he is having all kinds of problems with the car? That I cannot answer. It is a 1000 rwhp twin turbo build with some top shelf parts, I do know that.

Dude, you are talking about a heavily modded car making 1000 hp, resale value and everything else is already out the window. The only thing left that is cobra is the body kit.

You either buy the car for what it is.... a built "street car" or move along. Try and build a 1000 hp car and see what it costs, he is not out of the realm asking 30k.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
The idea was to buy a low mile car that has tasteful mods, use it for cruise events, keep the miles low for the next 10-15 years and sell when I am too old for the car lol. It's hard to say what these cars will be worth in the coming years, but I would like to make some money or at least break even on the car.
With these unrealistic goals in your mind, this isn't the right car for you. Walk away and find something closer to stock and low miles. Buying a 4 digit twin turbo car to just cruise around and go to car shows is foolish. Also, these types of builds nickel and dime you to death and you will not even remotely accomplish your end goal to make money or break even.

thatdude305

Established Member
So I have talked to a guy that has a cobra for sale with a branded title. The car was a factory buy-back vehicle. Do not know why it was purchased back by the dealer, but the car has not been in any accidents or flood damage. How much does this hurt the value? Knowing it's a buy-back, would that stop you from purchasing?

Thanks
if you go to a Ford dealership they can look at the Oasis and it will say why. I work at a Ford dealership in Ft Lauderdale

Users who are viewing this thread