break in tune????

5ohpowa

Established Member
Hey so my boss just traded out his c6 z06 for a 2013 svtpp gt500 and the car has about 300ish miles so far and he says this thing feels weak compared to the z06. So my question is, is their some kind of break in period in the tune before this thing feels wicked or does this thing just need a pulley and tune lol(my suggestion)

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Does anyone use the search feature anymore?

No. The only thing limited in the very beginning is the that the supercharger is not active until the 1st consecutive 5 miles, or 50 ignition starts.

A few people here have Z06s or even other super cars, and state that the 13 GT500 feels very fast. So either your boss is an idiot, or something is wrong.

Zeroescence

Established Member
Does anyone use the search feature anymore?

No. The only thing limited in the very beginning is the that the supercharger is not active until the 1st consecutive 5 miles, or 50 ignition starts.

A few people here have Z06s or even other super cars, and state that the 13 GT500 feels very fast. So either your boss is an idiot, or something is wrong.

+1 for idiot if his car was stock, or near stock.

5ohpowa

Established Member
Zo6 was stock lol he says te shelby feels tame in comparison. Sorry for the search feature im at work amd dont have time to sit on my phone. Ill stay in the 5.0 section

Zeroescence

Established Member
The physics are contradictory to his analysis. The HP / Torque to weight is in the Shelby's favor. As the numbers show the Z06 having 6.285 lbs for each horsepower vs the Shelby having 5.815 lbs for each horsepower. The numbers get more rediculous once you look at torque. Torque is what gives a car it's acceleration feel. The gear ratios are almost the same between the two.

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
There's something to be said for n/a big cubes and the instant torque created.. especially in a car as light as a C6 Z06. The Shelby is obviously faster, but it'll take him a minute to get used to a blown modular vs the LS7.

I remember back in the day how much quicker my friend's LT1 Z28 felt compared to my H/C/I 302. I ran mid 12s, his car low 14s, but due to the low end torque, his car felt much peppier down low.

Have him take it to the dragstrip and see if he still thinks it's slow :D

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
It's just as fast as his C6Z if it was stock. Maybe it just "feels weak" to him because it is more quiet, or has a more comfortable/compliant ride.
S.

5ohpowa

Established Member
Hey im not knocking it at all id give my left nut for one lol ive owned a ton of mustangs and the couple t/a's and vette i had let me down. Ill let you kno how i feel once i get a turn behind the wheel once it has 500 miles on it. I think the car is bad ass and the black leather recaros and the svtpp wheels are amazing in person. The only thing i dont like is the qual tail pipes. Ive got a 2013 gt in black also with the old style 500 mufflers and i think it looks cleaner. Anyways heres a pic of his car
photobucket-2391-1343253451665.jpg

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
Unfortunately, Butt meters in seats are usually highly inaccurate!

I think the GT500 feels "Peppy" compared to my ZR1 just around town, that is probably due to its massive low end torque.

Maybe he did not interpret his feelings correctly. The GT500 feels like a tank compared the ZR1, same as the Z06, so maybe that is what it feels like to him and he can't get over that sensation? I.E. equating tank with slow.

Be interesting to see how he feels after getting use to the car.

Scott

Van@RevanRacing

Flashed my car with a tune at 35 miles, drove it to Sebring and hit 150 MPH on the back stretch over and over and over.

That was my break in tune and the car runs like a bat outta hell!

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
The physics are contradictory to his analysis. The HP / Torque to weight is in the Shelby's favor. As the numbers show the Z06 having 6.285 lbs for each horsepower vs the Shelby having 5.815 lbs for each horsepower. The numbers get more rediculous once you look at torque. Torque is what gives a car it's acceleration feel. The gear ratios are almost the same between the two.

I love it when someone takes the time to post facts. Nicely done.

My '13 isn't due for another month, but having previously owned a 2009 Z06 I can speak from experience that the Z delivers a very raw driving experience. While this is fun (in the right time and place), a heavier and more refined car with superior NVH management, even if it's just as fast, will usually FEEL slower on the butt dyno.

Two examples:

- At 80 mph the Ariel Atom feels like you're flying by the seat of your pants and doing well over 100. 100 mph in that car feels like 130 in many other sports cars.

- The V12 twin-turbo Mercedes S65 AMG sedan (738 lb.ft. torque stock) accelerates like a bat out of hell all the way to the top end (until it bounces against its governor abruptly). You can outrun many high-end sports cars in a half mile drag race while you sip a Latte inside, listening to Yanni, while the cooled Nappa leather seats keep you completely isolated in total comfort. When you close the door on that car it's like a bank vault closing and the world goes away. 100 mph in a V12 Benz feels like you're MAYBE doing 75. Absolutely spectacular. Any V12 powered AMG is a total sleeper once you remove the "V12 BiTurbo" badges from the fenders. :coolman:

The Z06 is a track weapon- no refinement needed (and would be my hands-down choice for a track day car if I had to chose between that and the '13 GT500). But the '13 GT500 should be a much better all around package for everything else.

Njtony

Established Member
Traded my c6 zo6 for my Shelby and I agree
with the statement that it doesn't feel as quick.
Whether this is accurate in real numbers I don't know yet.
Ran a 12.0@123 with the zo6 bone stock but haven't run the Shelby
yet. The z just seemed to have a bit more punch but I'm
guessing that when I get the shelby to the track it will put up better
times as it seems to launch worlds better the the z with
stock goodyears.

Zeroescence

Established Member
I love it when someone takes the time to post facts. Nicely done.

My '13 isn't due for another month, but having previously owned a 2009 Z06 I can speak from experience that the Z delivers a very raw driving experience. While this is fun (in the right time and place), a heavier and more refined car with superior NVH management, even if it's just as fast, will usually FEEL slower on the butt dyno.

Two examples:

- At 80 mph the Ariel Atom feels like you're flying by the seat of your pants and doing well over 100. 100 mph in that car feels like 130 in many other sports cars.

- The V12 twin-turbo Mercedes S65 AMG sedan (738 lb.ft. torque stock) accelerates like a bat out of hell all the way to the top end (until it bounces against its governor abruptly). You can outrun many high-end sports cars in a half mile drag race while you sip a Latte inside, listening to Yanni, while the cooled Nappa leather seats keep you completely isolated in total comfort. When you close the door on that car it's like a bank vault closing and the world goes away. 100 mph in a V12 Benz feels like you're MAYBE doing 75. Absolutely spectacular. Any V12 powered AMG is a total sleeper once you remove the "V12 BiTurbo" badges from the fenders. :coolman:

The Z06 is a track weapon- no refinement needed (and would be my hands-down choice for a track day car if I had to chose between that and the '13 GT500). But the '13 GT500 should be a much better all around package for everything else.

Thank you Sir, AMG S65......dream ride.:rockon: I hope to one day drive a Atom 500 with the John Hartley V8. Keep dreaming Zero.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread