Broken halfshaft

infidel0910

Established Member
I'm a newer terminator owner and I'm still getting familiar with the IRS. My problem is that I think I broke my drivers side halfshaft at the track. The right wheel moves but the left doesn't. So I get under the IRS and wiggle the passenger halfshaft and no movement. The driver halfshaft however moves up and down. It seems like it is snapped just inside of the inner cv boot. Plus a little bit of grease has come out of the inner cv. I just wanted to ask u guys that have been in this situation before if that's sounds right. I'd say it's busted as he'll but I just want some experienced halfshaft breakers opinions'. Also is it worth the bother of getting a used one from a member or just get a new one from tousely? Thanks guys.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I'm going to go with it's broken you should not be able to move it up and down. I don't see anything wrong with a used one. Check with Tousley and see what they are new so you have a reference point for purchase.

monX

Established Member
Did the car wheel hop before this happened? If so, did you stay on the throttle (assuming it would calm it self)?

infidel0910

Established Member
I called tousley and got a price. I didn't have any hop. I have all the bushings upgraded and a bf brace and h&r springs. It's also on 315 35 17 nt05r's. It just snapped at the line. I have heard that drag radials are fine for the street but if you're gonna launch on a sticky surface like the track you should have a soft sidewall bias ply tire like et streets or drags. I guess that was my problem.
The only thing I'm worried about with a used halfshaft is that maybe I'll get a messed up one and half to deal with the bullshit. But ya can beat the the price of a used one if it's in good condition. Cuz no way am I paying 2k for halfshafts that can still break.

02reaper

Established Member
I got the full tilt boogie bushing kit and the h&r race springs and on street tires, my car wheel hops more than it did with the MM urethane bushings and stock springs.

infidel0910

Established Member
i hear full tilt kit is good stuff, but i have the MM stuff and h&r race springs as well. i haven't had and hop yet. I just ordered a new halfshaft from tousely anyways. hopefully ill get it back on the road as soon as possible.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I got the full tilt boogie bushing kit and the h&r race springs and on street tires, my car wheel hops more than it did with the MM urethane bushings and stock springs.

What kind of shocks are you running, what brand of street tires, do you have FLSFC's, have you read the FAQ on our site:

FTBR Frequently Asked Questions

The reason I ask is because your situation is pretty unusual.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

infidel0910

Established Member
I've only heard good things about FTB kits. That does sound weird. I woulda got the FTB kit but I already had the MM stuff in by the time I found out out it and it was too late lol.

infidel0910

Established Member
i know aint it a bitch. lol. Im still not sure why my halfshaft busted, im gonna go with the stiffer sidewall of the NT05R's, but it still has stock shocks and struts as well. time will tell and ill just be sure not to go to the track again until i get the proper wheels and tires and upgrade the suspension a little more.

02reaper

Established Member
What kind of shocks are you running, what brand of street tires, do you have FLSFC's, have you read the FAQ on our site:

FTBR Frequently Asked Questions

The reason I ask is because your situation is pretty unusual.

I have stock shocks, NT05 tires, and MM flsfc's. I have pretty much every mod done to the irs, even mark williams bearing caps, and nothing has ever fixed the wheelhop on mine. I'm tired of worrying about breaking a halfshaft, so I am currently building a solid axle to try it out.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I have stock shocks, NT05 tires, and MM flsfc's. I have pretty much every mod done to the irs, even mark williams bearing caps, and nothing has ever fixed the wheelhop on mine. I'm tired of worrying about breaking a halfshaft, so I am currently building a solid axle to try it out.

Based on that information I would say the biggest issue you are facing is the stock shocks. First off, stock shocks are not much good to begin with. In addition, depending on how long you have had the H&R race springs on the car, they are overpowering the shocks big time and have most likely destroyed any dampening abilty of the shock because of the mis-match in rate. If the shock has no control of up and down motion of the tire, it's going to hop like crazy.

You REALLY need to get some shocks on your car, pronto!

FWIW

02reaper

Established Member
Based on that information I would say the biggest issue you are facing is the stock shocks. First off, stock shocks are not much good to begin with. In addition, depending on how long you have had the H&R race springs on the car, they are overpowering the shocks big time and have most likely destroyed any dampening abilty of the shock because of the mis-match in rate. If the shock has no control of up and down motion of the tire, it's going to hop like crazy.

You REALLY need to get some shocks on your car, pronto!

FWIW

According to what a few road racer guys say on here about which bilsteins come stock on our car and by MM's suggestion for shocks for a given spring rate Matching Mustang spring rates : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
Shouldn't I be covered?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

02reaper

Established Member
Where in that information does it define the H&R spring rate as compared to the OEM spring rate?

I don't understand what you are asking here. It gives you series of shocks/struts, and the springs they are recommended for. What shocks/struts do you recommend for a daily driven irs cobra with h&r race springs that is drag raced on the street?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I don't understand what you are asking here. It gives you series of shocks/struts, and the springs they are recommended for. What shocks/struts do you recommend for a daily driven irs cobra with h&r race springs that is drag raced on the street?

I saw NO spring rates on your link except for coil-over spring rates.

The H&R race spring rate for IRS 770# found here:

H&R Race Springs (99-04 Cobra) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

This link shows a different spring rate the the H&R race:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/fox-body-cobras-23/630346-stock-spring-rates.html

Shows OEM 2004 Cobra IRS springs @ 600#. This is the rate your OEM shocks are calibrated to operate.

The H&R Race spring shows a rate of 850#. This is a OVER a 40% increase in spring rate. You can't expect an OEM shock to properly dampen a spring with over a 40% rate increase.

So I'm not really sure what the spring rate is because of the conflicting information. But........... I can tell you for sure it's a substantial increase and the stock shock is not going to cut the proverbial mustard with a higher rate spring.

I do not deal at all with stock location springs because all of my track cars are on coil overs. But when I change springs on my coil overs I either have to adjust the dampening and rebound or have the shocks revalved.

That's all!

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
i know aint it a bitch. lol. Im still not sure why my halfshaft busted, im gonna go with the stiffer sidewall of the NT05R's, but it still has stock shocks and struts as well. time will tell and ill just be sure not to go to the track again until i get the proper wheels and tires and upgrade the suspension a little more.
Hey I broke 2 halfshafts, nothing hopped either. But I used the nitrous w the mt dr not a good idea imo. Last time had the old level 5's and et streets nothing broke ran a 11.85 w just the eaton and a 2.9 pulley. Guess I'll find out in 2 weeks again w at least a 4k launch, nitrous and et streets at like 13#. Oh yea spring rates... just get airbags from jegs or summit and pump them to like 15# on right an 10# on left well that ratio lot cheaper than springs imo and adj. I've had mine for like 3 yrs and still are ok. These are the reg airbags for stangs nothing fancy. What I have btw. It def helped w wheel hop and preload. http://www.jegs.com/i/Air+Lift/022/60897/10002/-1

Last edited:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Hey I broke 2 halfshafts, nothing hopped either. But I used the nitrous w the mt dr not a good idea imo. Last time had the old level 5's and et streets nothing broke ran a 11.85 w just the eaton and a 2.9 pulley. Guess I'll find out in 2 weeks again w at least a 4k launch, nitrous and et streets at like 13#. Oh yea spring rates... just get airbags from jegs or summit and pump them to like 15# on right an 10# on left well that ratio lot cheaper than springs imo and adj. I've had mine for like 3 yrs and still are ok. These are the reg airbags for stangs nothing fancy. What I have btw. It def helped w wheel hop and preload. Air Lift 60897 Air Lift Air 1000 Spring Kits
yep what i used this edit function and my laptop blows.

Last edited:

02reaper

Established Member
I saw NO spring rates on your link except for coil-over spring rates.

The H&R race spring rate for IRS 770# found here:

H&R Race Springs (99-04 Cobra) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

This link shows a different spring rate the the H&R race:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/fox-body-cobras-23/630346-stock-spring-rates.html

Shows OEM 2004 Cobra IRS springs @ 600#. This is the rate your OEM shocks are calibrated to operate.

The H&R Race spring shows a rate of 850#. This is a OVER a 40% increase in spring rate. You can't expect an OEM shock to properly dampen a spring with over a 40% rate increase.

So I'm not really sure what the spring rate is because of the conflicting information. But........... I can tell you for sure it's a substantial increase and the stock shock is not going to cut the proverbial mustard with a higher rate spring.

I do not deal at all with stock location springs because all of my track cars are on coil overs. But when I change springs on my coil overs I either have to adjust the dampening and rebound or have the shocks revalved.

That's all!

So what shocks/struts would you recommend for a street driven, drag raced vehicle like mine with those springs, that will stop the hop?

Users who are viewing this thread