Brown Recluse

INNOVATE_1

Part-time Dream Crusher
Established Member
My mother just texted these pics. She said she woke up this morning with what appeared to be a bite on her leg then found this behind her bed.

- Dark inverted violin shape on cephalothorax
- 6 eyes opposed to 8 (I asked her to check the eyes, from what I'm reading the violin marking is characteristic on a few other spiders but the eyes are distinctly different. She said it has 3 pair.)

28DC71D2-65DF-4E73-8CEB-D122A5DAA3D7-17663-000012FE2CB302AA_zpsfd5c16c5.jpg

0AADD276-484A-45B4-BF6C-4395A581B2C3-17663-000012FF33463675_zps38ad7a11.gif

Bite:

8B45CC30-83C9-404A-9BB2-B6698DD40A30-17663-000012FE2AFBAFB2_zpscca34ada.gif

:(

Blaine

Established Member
I hope she is at the hospital atm... or that wound is gonna look nasty.... FAST. Flesh around the bite is already die'ing.

34fy0j6.jpg

Last edited:

cclark

Established Member
Oh my god man. That's dangerous get her to a hospital those are poisonous spiders, is she okay? I got the chills and goose bumps looking at those pictures, I hate spiders. I hope your mom is okay. Make sure the bottom of your shoe is the last thing that recluse sees.

VaporSnake

Forever Slow
Established Member
I ****IN HATE SPIDERS.... i've seen the nasty things the recluse bite can do

Last edited by a moderator:

98SVTContour98

Established Member
I thought brown recluse/black widow bites would within a few hours result in serious pain plus a lot of other serious symptoms. If she hasn't experienced anything yet, she might be in the clear.

Symptoms usually develop two to eight hours after a bite. Keep in mind that most bites cause little tissue destruction.

Victims may experience these symptoms:

severe pain at bite site after about four hours,
severe itching,
nausea,
vomiting,
fever, and
myalgias (muscle pain).

Initially the bite site is mildly red and upon close inspection may reveal fang marks. Most commonly, the bite site will become firm and heal with little scaring over the next few days or weeks. Occasionally, the local reaction will be more severe with erythema and blistering, sometimes leading to a blue discoloration, and ultimately leading to a necrotic lesion and scarring. Signs that may be present include:

blistering (common),
necrosis (death) of skin and subcutaneous fat (less common), and
severe destructive necrotic lesions with deep wide borders (rare).

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
keep spider...make him die slow after the hospital trip.

lxboy

Established Member
Hospital now! That certainly looks like a brown recluse, and a big one at that (lots of venom)

The would is black at the center and in a few hrs will be a softball size crater.

Their poison is not only flesh eating but will seriously affect her nervous system and organs.

Do not f around with this

INNOVATE_1

Part-time Dream Crusher
Established Member
I asked her for symptoms but she said she felt fine. No back pain, nausea, etc…
Slight discomfort if she presses near the area.

If this happened sometime in her sleep, it's already 3:30pm, serious symptoms would of shown by now, I would assume. I hope everything turns out ok, she has an appt. at 9am tomorrow. Trying to get her to go now though.

From what I'm reading, not all cases are as severe as one would assume. I googled "brown recluse bite" and see some serious cases but when you read the likeliness of those cases it is slim. Regardless, as mentioned already, not a spider to toy around with and definitely will do my best to try and get her to go ASAP.

Thanks fellas! I'll keep you posted.

Edit*

Appointment at 4:15pm today.

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
I thought brown recluse/black widow bites would within a few hours result in serious pain plus a lot of other serious symptoms. If she hasn't experienced anything yet, she might be in the clear.

Symptoms usually develop two to eight hours after a bite. Keep in mind that most bites cause little tissue destruction.

severe itching,
nausea,
vomiting,
fever, and
myalgias (muscle pain).

Initially the bite site is mildly red and upon close inspection may reveal fang marks. Most commonly, the bite site will become firm and heal with little scaring over the next few days or weeks. Occasionally, the local reaction will be more severe with erythema and blistering, sometimes leading to a blue discoloration, and ultimately leading to a necrotic lesion and scarring. Signs that may be present include:

blistering (common),

Wound is slow. Looks like the above and ends up looking like:
brown-recluse-spider-bite-3.jpg

"The bite frequently is not felt initially and may not be immediately painful, but it can be serious. The brown recluse bears a potentially deadly hemotoxic venom. Most bites are minor with no necrosis. However, a small number of brown recluse bites do produce severe dermonecrotic lesions (i.e. necrosis); an even smaller number produce severe cutaneous (skin) or viscerocutaneous (systemic) symptoms. In one study of clinically diagnosed brown recluse bites, skin necrosis occurred 37% of the time, while systemic illness occurred 14% of the time.[15] In these cases, the bites produced a range of symptoms common to many members of the Loxosceles genus known as loxoscelism, which may be cutaneous and viscerocutaneous. In very rare cases, bites can even cause hemolysis—the bursting of red blood cells."

Roll the dice. Really wouldn't chance my leg rotting off.
Loxosceles_reclusa.jpg

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Tell her to go to the hospital IMMEDIATELY and to take the spider with her, in a plastic bag, inside a sealed container. Better safe than sorry.

it sure does look like this picture....

brown_recluse_s1.jpg

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Sucks brutha,

I wouldnt worry too much. I would just mark around the affected area with a pen and keep track of how fast it is progressing along with checking her temp. Like someone above me mentioned, it is not that common for a healthy adult to get urgent complications from the bite. More than likely she will have "ugly" scar from it but that is it. Just have her get to the doctor tomorrow or once symptoms progress/worsen.

In the mean time she can clean the area with soapy water, apply some antibiotic ointment, rest, ice (15-20min at a time) and elevate.

Keep us informed.

Last edited:

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
Hospital, now!!!!!! Those mofos are nasty, had a guy get bit at boot, he ignored it because you just had to....lost a nice meaty chuck of his hand

Sorry to hear, I'll be sleeping with my flamethrower tonight :burn:

laruei

Established Member
A real brown recluse bite... ?!

Sorry to hear about this.. hope your mom goes in and gets healed up quick.

On a different note..whats the worst way to kill a spider? Brake cleaner seems to be a slow death..

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Dude, yes. Hospital ASAP. Some people react differently to bites but it's one of those spiders that doesn't matter. She might not have the allergic reaction like most people but it's one of the spiders that can do some serious damage.

INNOVATE_1

Part-time Dream Crusher
Established Member
Here is more info:

Brown Recluse Bite Symptoms

Brown recluse spider bites often go unnoticed initially because they are usually painless bites. Occasionally, some minor burning that feels like a bee sting is noticed at the time of the bite. Symptoms usually develop two to eight hours after a bite. Keep in mind that most bites cause little tissue destruction.

severe itching,
nausea,
vomiting,
fever, and
myalgias (muscle pain).

blistering (common),

AND

Brown Recluse Spider Bite Prognosis

The majority of brown recluse bites cause little permanent skin damage, although, in some cases, moderate to severe tissue destruction is possible. The full extent of damage to tissues is not known for days. It may take many months for the wound to completely heal.

Brown recluse bites are noted for somewhat slow development of signs and symptoms, and often take up to 12 hours to reveal themselves. Necrosis of skin (death of skin), if it occurs, does so in the first 96 hours. Bites older than this that do not display tissue death have not been reported to worsen.
Necrotic lesions can be difficult to manage, and early surgery to remove dead tissue has not been shown to improve outcomes. Necrotic lesions with careful cleaning are allowed to mature for weeks until spreading stops and healing appears to begin. Then a wide area of tissue around the wound is removed and skin grafting may be done once all evidence of skin necrosis has subsided.

Again, hopefully it all turns out ok! Love my mom, she's a trouper!

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
The Brown Recluse spider is also known as Violin spider due to a marking on it's back that looks similar to the musical instrument. I just read that.

Users who are viewing this thread