bubling in heat exchanger reservoir !!??

tommy s

Established Member
Like it says, when I open the hood after a drive I hear bubling in the heat exchanger reservoir !! should I let the air out when it cools off?is this normal? I've got the afco heat exchanger is trap air still?

ad445

Racing Is In My Blood
Established Member
Its normal,If it wasn't bubbling then you have to be worried LOL..

Last edited:

tommy s

Established Member
kinda when you boil water the sound it makes , or when you poor water down a funnel it kinda bubbles and when it cools off and I open the reservoir theire is aloth of air coming out !?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
air coming out of the tank when you open it is normal. The fluid boiling in the tank is not normal. The fluid shouldn't be much hotter than ambient when it's driven on the street.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
not shure it's boiling ,more like air bubles coming up, maybe it is ??

If you have air bubbles coming up, look to see that the water level in the tank is higher than the hose coming from the in block intercooler. If not, fill it until it covers the hole completely.

tommy s

Established Member
ok , just checked it, prestone/water level is at full, the car is cool now just started it (the water works I can see the water turning) and stoped it (the water is cold) and after 10 seconds littles bubles are coming up the reservoire for about 10 seconds !!??

Van@RevanRacing

ok , just checked it, prestone/water level is at full, the car is cool now just started it (the water works I can see the water turning) and stoped it (the water is cold) and after 10 seconds littles bubles are coming up the reservoire for about 10 seconds !!??

You need to data log IAT2 and go for a short drive of 15 minutes or so and monitor the log. If you see the temperatures shoot up quickly you possibly have one or two problems.

Initially it would sound like a vapor lock or air pocket in the intercooler / heat exchanger system. Best way to eliminate that possibility is with a pressure tester and pressurize the system.

The other possibility is that even though you see fluid moving in the reservoir your intercooler pump is failing and not flowing at the same volume (slower) thereby super heating the coolant.

These are some of the problems I have seen and encountered along the way. Good luck and hopefully you get it figured out quickly.

rdsnk46

Established Member
Sham a hose down the gullet of that bird and purge the H/E with water. Make sure the pump is circulating also!

tommy s

Established Member
Thanks 4 the info guys , I'll give you're suggestions a try this week end with ice cold corona and cigars :)) :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread