Build it Yourself Modular DOHC V10

96dreamer

Established Member
I remember seeing a thread on this way back when they first started the project but couldn't find it to post an update. They got this thing put together and fired up today. Sounds incredible, it's a shame Ford never produced them. Looking forward to see the rest of the project come together.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Been following it. I need to watch the last 2 episodes posted. I hope it stays together but I have my doubts based on how they had to weld cylinder heads together.

96dreamer

Established Member
Been following it. I need to watch the last 2 episodes posted. I hope it stays together but I have my doubts based on how they had to weld cylinder heads together.
Yeah I am curious to see how that holds up as well. They did everything right but it seemed like they were learning how to weld cast aluminum as they went along. The fact it is staying N/A should help with the lower cylinder pressures

Morgan

Established Member
Sounds great! They should get it running in the continental and then go after the Coast2coast record.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The engine sounds SO awesome. Wow! If the engine proves to be solid, I can't wait to see it installed in a Mustang. OMG that is going to be engine music to my ears. And I can only begin to imagine the attention it would get as it doesn't sound like any Mustang I've ever heard. Love what they've done....so far.

Morgan

Established Member
That has nothing to do with sound, but firing order does. You also only hear one bank at a time from most Vipers because of the side exhaust.

Nothing?

The impact of engine sound is influenced by a combination of various factors, and it can be challenging to isolate a single factor as having the most significant impact. Both the choice of a Dual Overhead Camshaft (DOHC) or Overhead Valve (OHV) design and the firing order play important roles in determining an engine's sound, but the relative importance of each factor can vary depending on the specific engine and its design goals. Here are some considerations:

1. Choice of DOHC or OHV: The choice between DOHC and OHV can have a substantial impact on an engine's sound. DOHC engines tend to have more precise control over valve timing and lift, allowing for a more aggressive and often higher-pitched exhaust note. OHV engines, with their unique pushrod design, tend to produce a distinctive, often lower-pitched rumble. The valvetrain design and control in DOHC engines provide more flexibility for tuning the sound, which can make it a significant contributor.
  2. Firing Order: The firing order also has a notable impact on engine sound. Different firing orders create variations in the timing of exhaust pulses, harmonic resonance, cadence, and rhythm, all of which affect the exhaust note. A unique or irregular firing order can result in a distinct sound signature.

^^^ChatGPT

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
My cousin's 98 GTS does have a certain "John Deere, or Massey Ferguson" quality to the sound of the strait exhaust, like it was an AGCO catback.
But getting rid of the cats keeps the stupid hot temps inside the cabin, especially in the doors In 2nd gens.

As for this engine, amazing. Perhaps someone with resources will see and can eventually help them make it more than a one off.

Last edited:

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I have watched all of their videos, really amazing how these guys have accomplished this. They are putting it in a Lincoln that they converted to RWD.

Users who are viewing this thread