Built engine time.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Agreed, and I would have liked them to tune my setup after they finished with my engine, but oh well, I'm actually suprised you haven't done a set of there cams in your GT500.
Jim Sr. wouldn't let it out of the shop with more than 780rw on the stock bottom end, I asked what the next move would be. In 2014, I was quoted 12 to 15K for a complete built motor, including cams. As it turns out, what I have is fine, as more would be overkill for just street use..

dan1982

Established Member
Jim Sr. wouldn't let it out of the shop with more than 780rw on the stock bottom end, I asked what the next move would be. In 2014, I was quoted 12 to 15K for a complete built motor, including cams. As it turns out, what I have is fine, as more would be overkill for just street use..
its 10k or a little less to build an lt2 motor.... cant wait.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The engine build alone from them was 16,500, but I also did the upgraded valves and the ATI 10% lower, I need to get mine on the dyno eventually. Hopefully I'm around 900whp right now.

dan1982

Established Member
Damn, they're cheaper than LS7s, my buddies LS7 build was almost 18k.
Emilia hartford said a shop in texas(i believe) did her motor.,. the c8 with 1200 or 1300HP.. former record holder... she paid 10k for them to prep that motor for that power. pistons/rods/ valvesprings/ studs.... forged internals.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Emilia hartford said a shop in texas(i believe) did her motor.,. the c8 with 1200 or 1300HP.. former record holder... she paid 10k for them to prep that motor for that power. pistons/rods/ valvesprings/ studs.... forged internals.
Sounds like LT engines are cheaper than LS7s lol, my buddy did a ERL 454 LS7 with Mast heads, Brian Tooley monster ass cam and all kinds of other little odds and ends. It definitely wasn't a cheap build.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Don’t fall for that.
Any quality build costs money. And to build ANY make to 4-digit power is all close in $$$.
You can’t skimp at those levels of you pay a bunch more.
-J

1 Alibi 2

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My car would never pass emissions lol, I have it registered as a collector car so I'm emissions exempt. I imagine anyone with a holeshot package or a Shelby1000 would do the same. But maybe that's why all the holeshot/Shelby1000 cars have such low mileage.
Took the 14 to state inspection this am, ( 10 Sept. 2022 ), it's free, no visual, they only plug into the OBDII for testing. As I stated elsewhere, if a tune is built correctly, inspections aren't an issue..

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Took the 14 to state inspection this am, ( 10 Sept. 2022 ), it's free, no visual, they only plug into the OBDII for testing. As I stated elsewhere, if a tune is built correctly, inspections aren't an issue..

I don't run cats. So I can't get my monitors to run correctly, it's just easier for me not worry about it, I'm sure if I had a ARH catted X-pipe it might pass inspection, but it doesn't really matter to me and I have 5 year tags on my car so I don't have to think about it for a long time. I fully support what you're saying and I know Jim Sr is a great tuner, and if I didn't have a Lund nGauge setup I more than likely would have just had JDM tune the car.

claybeatz

Established Member
Ca checks the computer to see how many times the car has been flashed and then also checks the tune to confirm that it’s the stock tune. Some guys even fail with all stock parts on the stock tune, my theory being that once the stock tune is saved on the tool, something is changed so even once the stock tune goes back on they can tell here.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Ca checks the computer to see how many times the car has been flashed and then also checks the tune to confirm that it’s the stock tune. Some guys even fail with all stock parts on the stock tune, my theory being that once the stock tune is saved on the tool, something is changed so even once the stock tune goes back on they can tell here.
You need to move out of that shit hole of a state.

1 Alibi 2

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So an owner takes his car to the dealership, has it re-flashed per a TSB, & it fails ?
Have read several threads where an owner has had the same re-flash done several times, because the re-flash didn't fix the issue.
If a tune is developed correctly, it should & will appear stock..
Blower kits from Whipple & Roush don't come with a tool for storage..

claybeatz

Established Member
So an owner takes his car to the dealership, has it re-flashed per a TSB, & it fails ?
Have read several threads where an owner has had the same re-flash done several times, because the re-flash didn't fix the issue.
If a tune is developed correctly, it should & will appear stock..
Blower kits from Whipple & Roush don't come with a tool for storage..
If the dealership does the flash you will be fine. But that that means paying for a tow truck to the dealership after removing all the stock parts as well every time you need to smog. Kindve dumb. No tune developed by anyone but ford will pass now due to cvn checks.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
If the dealership does the flash you will be fine. But that that means paying for a tow truck to the dealership after removing all the stock parts as well every time you need to smog. Kindve dumb. No tune developed by anyone but ford will pass now due to cvn checks.
I believe I can help with this isssue.......:D

1 Alibi 2

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My tuner, that used to work for Ford as a calibrator, may disagree with that statement !

Users who are viewing this thread