Built Lower is in my Garage!!!

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
It's finally here!!! Freakin WOO-HOO!!! :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana:

It actually came in Wednesday to my office, but I have not posted about it yet because I didn't have the ability to take pics and I knew I get yelled at for not showing them

I finally got it in my garage and on my engine stand and ready to start coming together, so here are the pics:

http://www.lightningrodder.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=60

Thanks JDM!! :bowdown:

I'll post as the build up progresses, but I'm still gathering parts.

Herb

Last edited:

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Thanks for the comments,

I could wait, at least I thought I could....until the rod let go.

If you have any choice in it at all, buy the built lower BEFORE you lose the stock motor. I now have a 275lb paperweight that could have had some resale value before I threw the rod.

Herb

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Thanks Tracy :beer:

It's getting closer, day by day.

I've got to get my heads and cams squared away then about a million little things. :rolleyes:

Herb

Scottyboy

Established Member
herb101 said:
Thanks Tracy :beer:

It's getting closer, day by day.

I've got to get my heads and cams squared away then about a million little things. :rolleyes:

Herb

Looking good Herb. Let me know if you need any extra $$$. I have a set of NGK's I need help with. :beer:

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Damn Scotty, you still haven't put those in? :eek:

Give me a call and we'll see if we can get you hooked up! My cell is 287-4020 and I may have some time this weekend coming up. I'll trade you the plug install for my new heads :lol1:

Herb

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Give me a ring sometime this week - we'll figure something out. It shouldn't be much more than an hour for me, so figure on a couple so I can walk you through it and we can check out all the coil packs too. We just need to have the L cooled down before we dig in.

Herb

supragod98

Established Member
Herb very nice. Just wondering how much is a stock lower worth? Also are the stock L blocks 6 bolt mains? From your pics it looks like the block has 6 bolts.

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Thanks All!!

Supragod - I got this one for $4170 shipped. JDM was running a special for $800 off their regular price.

On the mains - they are actually a 4 bolt, two vertical on either side of the crank journal and two horizontal, through the block side skirts and into the mains. The other 'bolt' that you see there is actually an alignment dowel. The inside of the block skirt has a half-round (or nearly) socket, as does each end of the main cap. The alignment dowel fits into the hole created by these two half-round cutouts meeting and the cross-bolt goes through this dowel into the main cap. This is basically a stock L block and crank, just brand new from Ford. The rods, rings, pistons, bearings, clearances and balancing is the difference.

All the benefits of the 6 bolt Cobra style except additional clamping force to keep the crank in the main bore - just where you want the extra help. :rollseyes

Herb

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
Whats that damn Jeep doing in your driveway. LOL Fords only!!! Nice pics. If i can move my GT ill get more stuff, but im maxed out on boost and bolt ons now. All except for long tubes, and tranny work

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Funny thing about that Jeep, Dave - We bought it the week I blew my motor (the L was my DD). Sadly (or fortunately, or ironicly, or whatever), the Jeep cost less than my motor project is going to :uh oh: .

I'm doing my part for Ford though - 2002 L, 2003 T-bird, 1997 F-150, 1966 Mustang Coupe and a butt-load of parts from previous 93 GT and 94 Cobra.

I've got a couple odd-balls in there with the 98 Jeep GC, a built 87 Wrangler (35's and a 401) and a 73 Scout (FOR SALE - HINT, HINT).

Herb

Users who are viewing this thread