Burnout techniiques

shelbypowered

Established Member
:-D Running a line lock on your six speed what is the technique you use after you are ready in the linkelock position- do you use first gear or a combo of first and second- Without the linelock I always use second gear and make a not so good of job of heating the drs- hard to control- sometimes good but not so often- with the linelock I would guess second would still be the best gear as first is a little more agressive- I want to stay with the drs not a slick and depending on the best burnout conclusion it will matter how and where I put the button- would like to hide the button in the boot of the shifter as I have seen it done that way- it would mean a on and off switch as it would not be near the handle or on the steering wheel- it would either be on or off rather than held through the burnout- will it work or am I dreaming a bad idea? Where is your linelock switch and how do you function your burnouts - in which gear etc. Runnig 331s=

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
wouldn't it be a harder to do a burn out in 2nd with gears like 3.31's, 3.27s, 3.08, 2.73s, im asking why would you do a burn out in 2nd over 1st, with line lock. if someone could explain that would be great.

rdsnk46

Established Member
I dont have a line-loc but I do have alot of burnout exp.! I have 3:73's and a 2nd gear burn out is a must! I also have skinny's up front so I roll through the water. If you dont have skinny's I'd advise driving around the water box and having some one guide you back to the burnout box. At this point I like to hit the middle of the box for a quick clean off in first,( 3000 rpm drop of the clutch to clear tire of debris) the clean off moves you to the outside edge of the water box. I would then stop, shift to 2nd gear 3500 dump and increase throttle to about 5000/5500 rpms. Looking in both mirrors for smoke from both sides and hold the burnout until they bello slightly. Finally driving out of the burnout box until the tires hook and then proceed to stage. Depending on the race I'll wait for a competitor to start there burnout before I start mine or sometimes if I'm not concerned with the racer next to me I stage quickly so to get the car ready for the launch! Good Luck and I hope this helps you!

Andy

th_bbqandpbir038-1.jpg
"]
th_bbqandpbir038-1.jpg
[/URL]

shelbypowered

Established Member
I dont have a line-loc but I do have alot of burnout exp.! I have 3:73's and a 2nd gear burn out is a must! I also have skinny's up front so I roll through the water. If you dont have skinny's I'd advise driving around the water box and having some one guide you back to the burnout box. At this point I like to hit the middle of the box for a quick clean off in first,( 3000 rpm drop of the clutch to clear tire of debris) the clean off moves you to the outside edge of the water box. I would then stop, shift to 2nd gear 3500 dump and increase throttle to about 5000/5500 rpms. Looking in both mirrors for smoke from both sides and hold the burnout until they bello slightly. Finally driving out of the burnout box until the tires hook and then proceed to stage. Depending on the race I'll wait for a competitor to start there burnout before I start mine or sometimes if I'm not concerned with the racer next to me I stage quickly so to get the car ready for the launch! Good Luck and I hope this helps y

th_bbqandpbir038-1.jpg
"]
th_bbqandpbir038-1.jpg
[/URL]
how do you control the car so well without the line lock- what a fast run- yikes! It looks like you have no need for a line lock however my skill level does not seem to even come close your skill level- you must be on slicks- Really I am amazed- no line lock-

rdsnk46

Established Member
how do you control the car so well without the line lock- what a fast run- yikes! It looks like you have no need for a line lock however my skill level does not seem to even come close your skill level- you must be on slicks- Really I am amazed- no line lock-

Thanks man! I dream of being a real racer as a kid so my ability is just youth inspired!

Those are M&H Dr's. Just good foot control I guess.....:rockon: 10.407 is my best I have 2 10.441's and that 10.49 pass!

Last edited:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Finally driving out of the burnout box until the tires hook and then proceed to stage.

th_bbqandpbir038-1.jpg
"]
th_bbqandpbir038-1.jpg
[/URL]

All good but I would recommend not allowing the tires to hook out of the burnout box---hard on the clutch! Push the clutch pedal in before they hook and allow the rpms to settle, put back in first, and ease into the beams. Just my 2 cnts. ;-)

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member

Practice then practice then practice again. IMO you don't need L/L with
this car. Just good foot work. As said above^^^^

MrClean

ADDICTED
Established Member
Thanks man! I dream of being a real racer as a kid so my ability is just youth inspired!

Those are M&H Dr's. Just good foot control I guess.....:rockon: 10.407 is my best I have 2 10.441's and that 10.49 pass!

Awesone run. That's right where I want to be with mine:rockon::rockon:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Practice then practice then practice again. IMO you don't need L/L with
this car. Just good foot work. As said above^^^^

True, you never 'need' a L/L with any car, but if you're doing this often the L/L saves your rear brakes and can make you more consistent each run.
Plus it's one of the funnest mods you can do to impress your buddies :burnout:

All good but I would recommend not allowing the tires to hook out of the burnout box---hard on the clutch! Push the clutch pedal in before they hook and allow the rpms to settle, put back in first, and ease into the beams. Just my 2 cnts.
True, I do the same--try to save the clutch whenever possible.
-J
:beer:

MD03SVT

Established Member
Also a line lock can be used to stage as my home track's right hand lane must have a dip as my cars always tend to roll while staged which can cause a red lite and you can load the clutch this way.

rdsnk46

Established Member
All good but I would recommend not allowing the tires to hook out of the burnout box---hard on the clutch! Push the clutch pedal in before they hook and allow the rpms to settle, put back in first, and ease into the beams. Just my 2 cnts. ;-)
Thats a new one from Ford.:burnout:

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
Also a line lock can be used to stage as my home track's right hand lane must have a dip as my cars always tend to roll while staged which can cause a red lite and you can load the clutch this way.

Our old track was that way but with the new concrete 1/4 mile it's laser level'd all the way down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread