Burnt up cooling fan plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Fans won't come on, so I checked the plug. 2 of the pins are scorched. Of course this part isn't in stock at any auto parts store, is there another option? Resistor from a different year work?

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Check your local Ford dealer at the parts counter, they usually keep a lot of pig tails in stock or can at least get them quickly.

Zemedici

Established Member
Check your local Ford dealer at the parts counter, they usually keep a lot of pig tails in stock or can at least get them quickly.

That's what I was going to say, but then he says relay, and i'm confused what he wants.

14s411 is the base part # for a pigtail, and it can be ordered separate and just spliced in place of your current one

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Happened to several of my buddies around here. All you need is a new pigtail with the connector. Should be able to get it at Ford, RockAuto or similar..... but what I would do is get a hold of Tasca Steve (either on here or ACMR) and buy one through him. He's sold them at least 2-3 times to my friends around here with some pretty good pricing. Just hope that it is just the connector/pigtail and not the fan. Sometimes it will take out both of them.

NoVA_Mike

Established Member
My fan plug burned up last winter and it left the fan almost undamaged.
I still ended up with a brand new fan because I couldn't find just the vehicle plug on its own. I'm keeping the old fan just in case.
The plug that goes from the car to the fan is problematic. Is this what you're talking about?

Plug.jpg

Last edited:

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Exacty!! Thought the resistor it plugged into was causing it, but it appears it's just a shit plug

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Ive always replaced the resistor along with the pigtail, the pigtail wont just burn up for no reason unless its a terrible connection.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Hansona15

I removed the wires from the plug so I could repin it. Problem is I failed to take picture of what wire goes to what pin/port on the plug. Does anyone have a reference, picture or schematic that will help me solve this mystery?

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Hansona15,

Not sure if the resolution is good enough but the two attached files are'snipped' from the electrical manual. The wire colors are for 2011 and the pin numbers are shown. I don't know what the pin positions are (sorry) but the pigtail pictures might help if you can find a few with good angles.

HTH,

Chris

Attachments

• 2011 cooling fan motor wiring.JPG
    2011 cooling fan motor wiring.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,680
  • 2011 cooling fan motor wiring.PNG
    2011 cooling fan motor wiring.PNG
    59 KB · Views: 2,047

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Here's a Tasca photo of a plug with resistor harness. It shows the red and black leads to the plug (for the motor connection).
(I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, lol).

Chris

Attachments

• Tasca cooling fan motor wiring.PNG
    Tasca cooling fan motor wiring.PNG
    185.8 KB · Views: 1,342

Hansona15

Ok so I was able to obtain the wiring schematic from the dealership. The schematic displays the pin location from the battery junction box to the thermal fuse aka resistor. From what I am reading black gray wire is pin 2 brown/tan wire is pin 1 and green white wire is pin 3. Can any one confirm this???? Last time I read schematic was on an F16 In the Airforce over 10 years ago.

Attachments

• 36CCCDC9-A8A9-44E1-BF9F-DA4D864BFA2A.jpeg
    36CCCDC9-A8A9-44E1-BF9F-DA4D864BFA2A.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 596

4VFTW

Established Member
Ok so I was able to obtain the wiring schematic from the dealership. The schematic displays the pin location from the battery junction box to the thermal fuse aka resistor. From what I am reading black gray wire is pin 2 brown/tan wire is pin 1 and green white wire is pin 3. Can any one confirm this???? Last time I read schematic was on an F16 In the Airforce over 10 years ago.
That is correct.

basspro302

Established Member
I dont know if the price has changed but when mine burnt up it was cheaper to get a motorcraft fan assembly (came with resistor) then getting the resistor by itself.

4VFTW

Established Member
I dont know if the price has changed but when mine burnt up it was cheaper to get a motorcraft fan assembly (came with resistor) then getting the resistor by itself.
My resistor wires melted right by the connector. Tasca wanted like $154 for the GT resistor iirc , but the GT500 version was like $35...made no sense so I bought the GT500 one and it works perfectly.

G1GGIDY

Just happened to me as well, at what point does Ford issue a recall/TSB with this happening to so many of the vehicles? Of course mine is out of warranty (time, not mileage), but seems like this is a systemic problem. Ended up changing radiator fans... twice, putting in new relays, and replaced the wiring harness pigtail all together.

20210623_165554_V2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread