C7 Auto vs. 2014 Shelby from a dig

QuickC5Z

Established Member
You DO realize that Ford just unveiled a new Mustang right? IRS? Carbon Ceramic brakes? Remains to be seen how much more of a road course car it will be.

There are no stats on the 2015 Mustang yet, except that it will be faster than the Boss on a road course. But, that's not saying much because so is the 1LE ZL1 etc.

I'm not saying Mustangs suck or anything like that, just pointing out that acceleration alone isn't the benchmark of performance, or defines a "better" car.
There's more to performance than acceleration...especially for $70k.

QuickC5Z

Established Member
Oh I see, you want the pinnacle of the Corvette world to go up against something that is a class below it to beat it. Nothing with that doesn't seem off to you? A muscle car taking out a sports car? The cars are not alike. Look at this video in this thread. It is well known an auto can go from a dig like no other which the vette was racing a stick GT500. When 120 hits Beetle Slayer jumped on the brakes claiming that is a victory since that is what you would run a the track. We all know that is a lame excuse because as soon that GT500 started to get traction it was pulling HARD on that vette. Not just any Vette, the latest and greatest Vette.

Stock GT500's have taken down stock Corvettes. Plain and simple. Can't be denied. It has happened. I've seen the videos.

What you fail to realize that a Mustang is a pony car/muscle car. It is heavy, has four seats and is affordable. The Corvette is a true sports car. It is light, has two seats and costs a boat load of money. These cars are not similar and anyone would expect the lighter car to win against the heavier car with similar HP. If not then there is something seriously wrong. Hence my comparison from one of my previous posts: a 500 HP Ariel Atom would destroy a 500 HP Corvette. I'm sure some red flags go up when you read that.

The Mustang goes up against GM's muscle car, the Camaro. As soon as the Mustang laid waste to that GM fan boys go running to big brother Corvette. The Mustang isn't meant to be compared to the Corvette. So when a Mustang does take down a big, bad Corvette that is a major feat for the Mustang. Ford doesn't offer anything that competes with the Corvette at the moment. The only time that happened was when the Ford GT came out and we all know how that worked out.

"The Mustang isn't meant to be compared to the Corvette. So when a Mustang does take down a big, bad Corvette that is a major feat for the Mustang"

That argument held true a long time ago, but now when Mustangs are priced up to $70k plus, it's not a feat anymore. The car is held at a different standard at that point, regardless if it's a Mustang or a Pinto. For that kind of money you can buy a brand new ZO6.

As for the Ford GT, it was a good race for the ZO6 and the ZO6 got faster and better, while the Ford GT got discontinued. And not to mention the ZR1 came out.
The Ford GT got discontinued because Ford couldn't stomach a war with the Vette. Especially when the Vettes were cheaper.

Yellow03snake

Established Member
"The Mustang isn't meant to be compared to the Corvette. So when a Mustang does take down a big, bad Corvette that is a major feat for the Mustang"

That argument held true a long time ago, but now when Mustangs are priced up to $70k plus, it's not a feat anymore. The car is held at a different standard at that point, regardless if it's a Mustang or a Pinto. For that kind of money you can buy a brand new ZO6.

As for the Ford GT, it was a good race for the ZO6 and the ZO6 got faster and better, while the Ford GT got discontinued. And not to mention the ZR1 came out.
The Ford GT got discontinued because Ford couldn't stomach a war with the Vette. Especially when the Vettes were cheaper.

LOL Ya that's it!

Meanwhile ZR1 prices go in the tank and Ford GT prices soar....

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
You guys are ****in retarded if you think GM cant build a Camaro to compete with the Mustang/GT500.

quad

Established Member
It's much more difficult to launch a 662 hp car than a 450 hp car. The Shelby needs better tires to assist with launching. I'm sure the picture would be a lot different and the margin of victory even greater. Without traction much slower cars will be faster.

Blown02

Established Member
It's much more difficult to launch a 662 hp car than a 450 hp car. The Shelby needs better tires to assist with launching. I'm sure the picture would be a lot different and the margin of victory even greater. Without traction much slower cars will be faster.
yup.. ive always scratched my head when manufactures do stuff like this.. putting a 285 on a 660hp car.. or a 20" rear wheel on a rwd 630+hp zr1.. wtf.. wheel sizes should be options..

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
There's more to performance than acceleration...especially for $70k.

I agree, there's also more to performance than lap times released by magazines on factory rubber.

An overweight, underpowered car with wider tires doesn't impress me.

The 5th gen Camaro is the biggest piece of shit pony car GM has ever released IMO.

All the hype surrounding lap times is nonsense. First of all, if you ACTUALLY take your car to road course events I would suggest you buy a Corvette or another light sports car. Second of all, I would recommend you replace the factory tires if you actually do.

I cannot believe all the fanboys celebrating lap times on factory tires because of the lopsided advantage of grip with significantly more weight and less power. :nonono:

QuickC5Z

Established Member
I agree, there's also more to performance than lap times released by magazines on factory rubber.

The 5th gen Camaro is the biggest piece of shit pony car GM has ever released IMO.

All the hype surrounding lap times is nonsense. First of all, if you ACTUALLY take your car to road course events I would suggest you buy a Corvette or another light sports car. Second of all, I would recommend you replace the factory tires if you actually do.

I cannot believe all the fanboys celebrating lap times on factory tires because of the lopsided advantage of grip with significantly more weight and less power. :nonono:

Lap times tells you how well a car is engineered. It tells you how well rounded a car is. I myself am not that into road racing, but I would like to know my car can turn and stop hard. It makes it safer, and funner taking off ramps at 30+ mph over the posted speed limit.

"I cannot believe all the fanboys celebrating lap times on factory tires because of the lopsided advantage of grip with significantly more weight and less power."
The advantage is more than weight and being underpowered. It's how the cars are set up. The reason the 13 Shelbys have smaller tires isn't cause the people at SVT don't understand anything about more grip. It's because more grip causes the Shelby to understeer a lot more. So, drifting some around corners actually helps it. You have to steer with the back end or else the car wants to go straight.

cam346

Established Member

I cannot believe all the fanboys celebrating lap times on factory tires because of the lopsided advantage of grip with significantly more weight and less power. :nonono:[/ have a:beer:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Lap times tells you how well a car is engineered. It tells you how well rounded a car is. I myself am not that into road racing, but I would like to know my car can turn and stop hard. It makes it safer, and funner taking off ramps at 30+ mph over the posted speed limit.

"I cannot believe all the fanboys celebrating lap times on factory tires because of the lopsided advantage of grip with significantly more weight and less power."
The advantage is more than weight and being underpowered. It's how the cars are set up. The reason the 13 Shelbys have smaller tires isn't cause the people at SVT don't understand anything about more grip. It's because more grip causes the Shelby to understeer a lot more. So, drifting some around corners actually helps it. You have to steer with the back end or else the car wants to go straight.

You're right, it's not just weight, it's a combination of several factors that makes the 5th gen a pathetic excuse for a pony car. There are so many factors that go into laptimes that claiming it defines how well a car is engineered is pure comedy.

When the car it's pitted against has 100hp more and weighs 300lbs+ less it's flat out goofy that people celebrate lap times on factory tires, (GT500 vs. ZL1).

Would you trade your C5Z for an N/A V6 NSX? The C5Z would RAPE the NSX in every realistic scenario, but guess where it didn't? LAP TIMES!

With factory run flat tires it lost to a lowly 270hp V6 Nissan when the rags pitted them up against one another back in 02. :kaboom::kaboom:

Why? Because the NSX went WOT or close to WOT on long sweepers. Way less power and way more grip. The Z06 was all over the place.

However, guess what happens in real world conditions when a Z06 or GT500 has grip on a road course? :kaboom: All your marvels of engineering disappears when the way lighter more powerful car all of a sudden has grip on it's side.

The ZL1 and 5th gen Camaros in general do have an ideal weight balance, if that's your argument towards, "better engineered".

However,

Let's not forget, it shares the same platform as this car.

2010_holden_caprice_australian_3_cd_gallery.jpg

There is no impressive engineering in the Camaro - they just hyped the car correctly selling the fanboys on carefully orchestrated tests..

If it was well engineered it would be a pony car platform with an IRS that weighed 3600-3700lbs. Instead it's a slapped together piece of shit on a borrowed platform.

Pony car or land yacht with cheesy plastic using a borrowed full sized sedan platform. Take your pick.

ShelbyvsZL1summary.jpg

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The fact a car like the Mustang can even be straight line racing close to the league of a true sports car like the "Vette is a nice caveat on where Ford has taken the Mustang over the years.

But straight line is just one aspect, one that is a bit boring.

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
I understand were these zl1 Camero guys are coming from. I dd my car on racestars because everybody knows we buy Cameros, Mustangs, GTOs, etc... for the ring.

Users who are viewing this thread