Cage it or Sale it? Tough decision :/

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
You ignoring my posts? lol

A cage on the street is dangerous. If you get in a wreck without a helmet or harness you can hit your head on the bars.

this is the killer for me...no cage = safer on the street. Cage = safe on track but more dangerous on the street...unless youre gonna wear a harness all the time which most people dont want to do

PACETTR

Established Member
My PJ Saleen is one of only 500 built and it's the only one to have the Saleen Scenic Roof installed by Saleen, so it's truly a 1 of 1 car. While I've tried to keep it as original-ish as possible, safety has to be a concern, so I installed a 6-point once I got into the 11.40's because I knew I wanted to go faster. I'll likely never sell the car, and IMO there's no "resale value" for the enjoyment you get from having a fast and rare car.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
How built is the car currently, and what kind of condition is it in? I'm to the point were I'd prefer to use flood cars to build track cars more than anything.

Ukfox89

Established Member
cage not safer on the street? roll a sn95 chassis and it will flatten the top easily. i street drive my car. its a real cobra, now with a 10 point chromoly cage. factory interior and if done right, can look very very nice. i also had a 6 point and i wouldnt say it takes away fromt he car. i agree the demograhpic for who would want to buy my car goes down, but its my car. i love it, want to continue racing it, and dont want another foxbody cause EVERYONE has foxbodies. my car is still a street car with ac/heat/stereo/comfort has an Auto, turbo and SRA with a cage. rides just as good (except for the IRS) as any other cobra and is quiter than most (turbo). but it also goes low 9s and soon much faster. just depends what you want. i drive mine on the street 20% and track 80%. didnt want to sell so i caged the bitch. if done right you'll have no problem selling it.

Ukfox89

Established Member
You will only hurt the value to the people on here that go "AUTOS ARE FOR DEM LOSERS, MY MOM DRIVES AN AUTO" and go on and on about how they never made an auto Cobra. But these are the same people that argue about spending 22k on a nice Cobra because their cousins sisters brothers former roommate got a 140k mile zinc yellow for 12k with a blown motor.

Go on yellowbullet facebook and look at REAL drag cars and the prices they go for and how quickly they move. When I finish mine I will probably sell it only because I'm buying a new home. I'm expecting ~1300-1400rwhp through my TH-400 and will be caged and have drag suspension, motor plates and twins in the grill. I expect to sell for 30-35k to someone who wants a built right race car. If I kept the 6 speed and no cage people here would argue with me over asking above 25k.

You aren't losing value to anyone who actually understands what they are buying. Too many people throw together "1krwhp" cars and they break/run 12's because they have no clue what they are doing and then dump them for dirt because they are basket cases. I can't even being to name how many people post on facebook group about making 1krwhp and haven't spent a dime on safety, chassis, transmission, rear end. They just grab fuel and a "precision turbo" (because I guess that's all Cobra owners think works) and crank it to make 1krwhp on a dyno.

This is so true.....theres gray area for a badass car that appeals to the race crowd, but is missing the safety stuff or performance stuff that takes it away from the street car. an up to spec safety drag car that you can street drive is worth more IMO than a street car that is missing all the safety stuff but is still fast. different strokes for different folks.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
cage not safer on the street? roll a sn95 chassis and it will flatten the top easily.

assuming you dont bang your head off a bar and kill yourself before it ever gets over on the roof. In extreme circumstances yes the cage could be safer but it seems like it opens up a host of what would be minor incidents that could now become major if you whack your head off a bar. I dont know if a custom cage/bar setup that meets specs could be installed in such a way that someone in one of the front seats wouldnt run this risk if not wearing a harness.

s351

Established Member
Hey guys, don't take what I'm saying in a bad way, I'm right where this guy is with my build, I would love to go to the track and start making my car faster. And make the power usable.

I have a vert that makes a lot of power especially for a dd. But putting a cage in a vert looks ridiculous in my opinion if you have done this I'm not insulting you.

The rules at the drag strip need to change, they haven't been updated in how long, cars are much faster now from when they where made and they aren't changing with the times. Cars are coming from the factory running 10.8 with drag radials now, without a cage you can only run 11.50. My car used to run 11.50 as a vert, got kicked from the track because verts can only run 13.9 without a bar. I now make way more power which probably made my track times slower simply because of traction lol.

My point if it was me and I wanted a drag car like this guy, and had money into it, I'd build the cobra as a drag car. Like in my original post I said it won't lose value to the right buyer. And to nightmare there are tire kickers in every buying field, you never actually know who has money to buy the car until they actually do it. If he wants to sell he just needs to be patient.

My rant is over, newer cars should be able to run in the 10's with no bars or anything, and then many more people would show up at the strip, because they don't want to put a cage in there car.

72SBC

Established Member
this is the killer for me...no cage = safer on the street. Cage = safe on track but more dangerous on the street...unless youre gonna wear a harness all the time which most people dont want to do

Seriously dude? It's safer at the track because you're required to wear a helmet. A lot of people died driving there caged out car on the street from minor fender benders. You hit your head on that door bar( and you will) you're done for.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
NHRA has addressed some of the new cars,it does not help us but 2008 & up coupe cars can run 10.00 no cage must be stock!

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Am I the only one who would put foam padding around the whole thing to make it street-friendly?

There's a black vert on the forum, I forgot the guy's username, but he did a custom 4-pt for open tracking and padded it and I think wrapped in Alcantara. It looks sweet! Wouldn't this solve the problem of street safety?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Am I the only one who would put foam padding around the whole thing to make it street-friendly?

There's a black vert on the forum, I forgot the guy's username, but he did a custom 4-pt for open tracking and padded it and I think wrapped in Alcantara. It looks sweet! Wouldn't this solve the problem of street safety?

It would take so much foam that it would look entirely out of place.

I'D WIN

Established Member
Caged car is a caged car and any added safety measures improves the overall safety and greatly reduce the risk of injuries. I could go into the technical aspect but it wouldn't mean anything to those who lack the knowledge and technical experience. You run the risk of injury and/or death in any crash regardless of the crush damage, rollover or overturn, etc. The cage supports offer the same amount of risk as the frame/structural support. Heck, the side windows are also risky when up but just as much when they are rolled down. You can what if and nitpick every scenario. Reality is, the cage or roll bar will improve safety, rigidity, reduce potential crush and intrusion, and reduce the risk of injuries in a crash. Most here are just trying to rationalize the situation without any real data and just talk themselves out of it which then, they really didn't want it anyways.

ZeroSVT

Established Member
Where exactly would you hit your head though?

It appears the headrest would protect you from the rear and side bars. The Side bars are super low as well.

Photo from a friend.

12528309_10154433995175744_925705216_o.jpg

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Matt i'd think on that style you'd be plenty safe for street purposes, but harnesses would be a good idea.

I was thinking of the style where one runs along the roof line as well. What time is that style rated to?

ZeroSVT

Established Member
Matt i'd think on that style you'd be plenty safe for street purposes, but harnesses would be a good idea.

I was thinking of the style where one runs along the roof line as well. What time is that style rated to?

I'm not sure on times, but I plan on being into the 9's. So I may require that as well.

Definitely going to run a 5 point harness all the time, no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread