CAI Kits - The Definitive Thread!

Y2K AG GT

Established Member
I have decided that my final mod for my 2003 (yea right!) will be a CAI kit (I already have the Borla Stinger Setup and a Tri-Ax). With the search function disabled I was not able come to a consensus on:

1) Overall, what the best CAI setup was
2) Which provides the greatest amount of power
3) Which has been given the best feedback by you guys
4) Which are the easiest to install
4) Where to get said kits at the best price

and most importantly

5) Pics of the setup on your car.

Feel free to respond to any or all of the above requests and thanks for your help.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
It appears that the most HP is gained by JLT's "True" CAI. It is a smooth bore 4" pipe from the fender well all the way to the TB.

Plenty of info and ready with dyno graphs here:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9292

Its available in all factory colors. Here it is in Mystichrome:

pipe1.jpg

pipe2.jpg

pipe3.jpg

pipe4.jpg

Last edited:

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by AtomHeart
It appears that the most HP is gained by JLT's "True" CAI. It is a smooth bore 4" pipe from the fender well all the way to the TB.

Plenty of info and ready with dyno graphs here:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9292

Its available in all factory colors. Here it is in Mystichrome:

pipe1.jpg

pipe2.jpg

pipe3.jpg

pipe4.jpg

Those were some of the best pictures of the MC and it was just your front quarter panel.

:beer:

Back to topic.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are a lot of claims as far as which CAI is best. The truth is that they are all pretty close, but some work better with more highly modified motors than others. There has only been one actual controlled test of CAIs early in 2003. The king of the hill was the Densecharger but part of the increase was due to how they positioned the meter (which resulted in a leaner A/F). The JLT piece is a great one, but until there is another controlled test including most of the others I don't think anyone can say that this one is the best of them all. It might very well be, but let's see some test comparisons. :)

P.S. That MC tube really came out nice. Seems to match the car perfectly.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
I, personally, am not concerned with the gains over other CAI's at all, but apparently in the thread I posted, there are people who removed one CAI, and put the JLT CAI on, and show before and after dyno graphs, showing big increases in power over the other brand of CAI they already had installed. I couldn't tell you for sure, however, and I bought it for the nice looks over the other standard CAI's out there.

The install is definitely a lot worse than most CAI's however.

TRBO VNM

another JLT vote here. I haven't tested the others, nor care to. I love the looks and I picked up a # of boost as well.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
I'd like to hear results from others also. I was thinking about the K&N or maybe the apten. I like how the apten gets all the air from the fender area (at least it looks to) & is covered all around. That is my one concern with the K&N, the open top area. The JLT looks nice, but I really don't want my filter & MAF in the fenderwell.

nj7703

Established Member
I love my Apten CAI. The blower whine improvement was instant over stock. Nice SOTP feel too, top notch quality CAI. I love the sound of it sucking in air too. With the Borla Stingers the car really sounds and feels amazing.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by nj7703
I love my Apten CAI. The blower whine improvement was instant over stock. Nice SOTP feel too, top notch quality CAI. I love the sound of it sucking in air too. With the Borla Stingers the car really sounds and feels amazing.

Got any pics? Does it only draw air from the fenderwell like I thought? Also how big is the filter that comes with it?

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by MystiChrome Coupe
Got any pics? Does it only draw air from the fenderwell like I thought? Also how big is the filter that comes with it?

\

Yeah it draws air from the fender. It's hard to tell from the pic but there is a lot of space around the filter, so there good airflow in the box itself. I am totally drawing a blank as to what size filter it is, i have to box at home. 6 inch perhaps? i honestly forget.

apten1.jpg

apten2.jpg

apten3.jpg

apten4.jpg

apten5.jpg

apten6.jpg

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I love my Steeda CAI. Got great gains out of it, combined with my catback.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by spinscan
How is the install with the Apten? Any drilling? Thanks.

What he said.

Thanks for the pics:thumbsup:

EDIT: Also can apten's retail price be beat?

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
The thing that gets me is most of these so called CAI's are nothing more than a MAF adapter, a filter and some sort of cheap ass fairing or airbox. To me these kits are way over priced for what you get, either make you own, or do like I did and get the JLT, which after getting it I regret, because I could have made it myself. But if your not the do it yourself type, I reccomend letting Tucker make one for you. PITA to install but worth it.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
K&N FIPK $169 at my door. Went in easy. Fits well, and sounds great. I experienced noticible gains with mine, sotp as well as sound.

SVT03Snake

That is sweet!!! I was thinking of the same one. I have the 10th edition so the carbon fiber look will match nice with the 10th accents.

Users who are viewing this thread