Calling all 2.7 F-150 EB owners

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I just sold my 2010 F-150 and am looking to get into a used 15-16 truck with a EB. For those of you who have the 2.7 EB how do you like it? What I'm really curious about is how it tows with a load behind it? I wont tow much with it but when I do it will be an open steel car trailer with my 13 GT loaded. I have heard the 2.7 tows damn good and then I have also heard that the 2.7 is under powered for the F-150 and is prone for problems. Would appreciate any feedback possible.

I would love to find a 3.5 EB but there are only a few out there from what I can tell. On the other hand almost every truck I find online has the 2.7. If the 2.7 can tow a car just fine and is reliable I think thats my best option. This will be my DD so the more MPG the better. I just dont want to have buyers remorse on getting the 2.7. Thanks for your time.

Leonard

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
I have a 15 2.7 crew 4x4. It’s not underpowered. I think you will be just fine towing that as long as you have trailer breaks and the break system or an after market system for the truck. Unfortunately on Tuesday this week my fuel pump went out. I have 88k miles. A buddy of mine has the exact same truck 15 and his fuel pump went out at 60k. That’s the only issue I’ve had. I can’t speak for others but it appears that there’s an issue with the fuel pumps. $968 later I got her back on Thursday.

I also have a 16 crew 4x4 with the 3.5. If you can swing it, you will be much happier with that.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

blueovalfan

Established Member
I bought my 17' brand new and have put about 10K miles on it, love it so far. I came from an 02' Ram with the 5.9 so the little ecoboost feels like a rocket ship. Fuel mileage is great and no problems with anything yet. I only use it for DD duties and haven't towed anything.

Only gripe is the auto start/stop that you have to turn off every time you get in the truck but I hear you can plug a trailer light tester in to make truck think it's towing and it will stay off.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
The 3.5s I have ridden in are mighty strong in stock form - very very impressive. Gas mileage isn’t great but heck - it is an F150. I haven’t been in a 2.7 150. Is the mpg difference significant?

Myusername

Established Member
I had a 2.7 it felt strong low. I didn’t tow but hauled a lot in the bed. It did it with no problem. Mine was a lemon and the engine kept leaking oil. During the many repairs they put me in a 5.0 for a month. It felt really good too but more sluggish low end. Once it was going it was nice. I towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer that was probably overloaded. It towed it fine but downshifted a lot on hills where the 2.7 didn’t. The 5.0 would have to rev out when towing on hills or passing on highway. Ford replaced the vehicle and now I have the new 3.5 and love it. Not sure if I like the 5.0 or 3.5 better. The 2.7 was nice. Good mpg and overall what your normal homeowner would need but the 5.0 sounded awesome and I love hearing the turbos on my new 3.5. After driving all 3 for extended periods I would go 5.0 or 3.5.

Stateguy

Established Member
What is the difference in tow ratings between the three in a similarly equipped truck?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
stay away from the 2.7, 3.5 if you tow or live in high altitude or 5.0 for everything else...

I'm not sure you know what your talking about. The EcoBoost perform better in high altitudes than NA motors. Also the 3.5ecoboost tows the best.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure you know what your talking about. The EcoBoost perform better in high altitudes than NA motors. Also the 3.5ecoboost tows the best.

I believe he meant to avoid the 2.7 all together and get the 3.5 I’d you tow or live at higher altitudes, not avoid it

stang910

Established Member
The 2.7 tows fine. It does feel underpowered if you’ve ever towed with the 3.5, but these are new truck problems. If you’ve ever towed with the 5.4 triton you will be impressed how much better the 2.7 tows and everyone knows the 5.4 was plenty capable back then.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
I believe he meant to avoid the 2.7 all together and get the 3.5 I’d you tow or live at higher altitudes, not avoid it
bingo... i've owned both (3.5 and 5.0), so my reasons are from experience, not out of a brochure or by watching a youtube channel

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I thought the 2.7 in my brothers truck had tons of snot. He hauled our old Ford Escape on a heavy equipment trailer no issue when the water pump died. He gets over 20 MPG in the summer. I think you'll be plenty happy with one.

4a7191a

Established Member
Bud of mine just traded his 2.7 for a 5.0 f150. No complaints really just got a good deal.
Another bud of mine just got a 2.7 moved up from an 04 with a 5.4L and he loves it. Doesn't tow anything too heavy though .just a small trailer with a 4 wheeler and hunting supplies.

nickf2005

Established Member
I think you'd be fine with the 2.7. However, it's not that much of a cost difference if you can find the 3.5 optioned the way you want. Based on your comments of use, any of the 3 engines will probably suit you fine. Good luck.

FWIW, I'm averaging 19.2 MPG on the truck computer since December on my 3.5TT. This engine is worlds beyond my old 07 5.4 Triton.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Is the mpg difference significant?

I would say the 2.7 gets an average 3-4 mpg better. However, when towing I think all 3 engines will get roughly the same from what I have seen.

What is the difference in tow ratings between the three in a similarly equipped truck?

It all depends on cab configuration and gearing. IIRC, the 2.7 can town between 6-8k while the 3.5 can tow roughly 10-12k if properly equipped.

I do appreciate the feedback from everyone on here. From the sounds of it there are mixed reviews on the 2.7 but im only hearing positives about 3.5 and 5.0. Keep the comments coming, its great to hear from people who actually drive these.

M91196

Established Member
I will give some feedback not 2.7 related, I had it in my mind that I was buying a 5.0 when I got my 16 F150.
I typically keep vehicles for a long time and felt more comfortable with the 5.0 design vs the 2.7 the 3.5 eco Boost.

Not really a valid reason but that’s what I did.

I have 3.55, 4 x4 301A XLT super cab, get 19 mpg running around and 10 mpg towing open trailer with car, 15 mpg towing a 2 place snowmobile trailer. It would tow the car trailer better with 3.73’s in the mountains of New England and I would probably think hard about replacing it with 3.5 if something happens to it.
55c8ec5d4b9f5613ab847f3fcb678e60.jpg

stang910

Established Member
Some things I didn't like about my 2.7. It downshifted on hills more than what I thought it should, on the interstate it was in constant boost, gas mileage really begins to suffer over 60 mph, towing gas mileage was terrible, the oil filter was hard to find in stores and I'm sure there's more I just can't remember.

I did like how strong the engine was for a 2.7 and the gas mileage was fantastic as long as you stayed under 60 mph. I averaged 24 mpg, but could get 27 mpg on an open hwy. This was a 2wd supercrew lariat with 18" wheels. For comparison I now have a 4wd supercrew lariat 3.5 10 speed 20" wheels and get 20 mpg average and it doesn't really doesn't get any better on the hwy, maybe 21.

nxhappy

Established Member
If you are towing get the 3.5 the extra power will make you happy. The 3.5 also responds better to a tune. Only 2.7 upside is slightly better MPG. I am glad I got the 3.5

Rct851

Established Member
Has anyone recently bought a used 3.5 with 4x4? That’s what I’m looking for and the asking price of used 15-17 trucks are shockingly close to new prices.

nickf2005

Established Member
Has anyone recently bought a used 3.5 with 4x4? That’s what I’m looking for and the asking price of used 15-17 trucks are shockingly close to new prices.

Purchased December 2017.
2015 / 3.5TT / 4x4 / 46,000 miles / 302A / SuperCrew / 6.5 Bed / XLT Chrome Appearance Package / Tow Package / Integrated Brake Controller - MSRP was over $44,000.

I paid just over $28,000. They gave me $8,100 for my '07 5.4 Triton and I wrote a check for a little over $23,000 to get out the door.

Users who are viewing this thread