Cam talk

redline5.0

Established Member
So far I'm pleased with my current cj/scj setup but want to make some more power n/a. I've been trying to do some research on cams and can't decide which ones to go with. People are having good luck with the comp s3's. I would also do a set of custom grind cams if they will make anymore power then the comps. Basically I want run the biggest/baddest cam I can and still keep the vct and make some more power.

PC03GT

Established Member
The stage 3s are stout, you'll lose some torque, but if you do ported heads it will bring the torque right back up

ford20

Established Member
I think JPC/RGR has some nice custom grind N/A cams they can do.

+1

I have heard that JPC and Mike from L&M all have some really wicked grinds in their card catalogs. If I were to do it I would chose my cam last and have it optimized for my setup to make the most power i can make.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Comp S3s tuned by one of the tuners that will tune them with full VCT would be the best option I believe. It should keep things pretty stout in the low end and midrange, and add plenty on the high end. Rev Auto and AED will do this, and I'm sure there are others out there that I'm not aware of.

redline5.0

Established Member
I know people seem to be running the comp s3's a lot but figured there would be better ones out there by now like custome ones. I'll have to call l&m engines and see what they got for cams.

redline5.0

Established Member
I was hoping jpc would jump in here and talk about there jpc/rgr custom grind cams. Guess I need to give them a call.

twistedneck

Established Member
Just call up comp cams they will set you up with a grind similar to the stage 3 but more radical and a bit more lift.. since you don't have the restrictions on valve springs.

Be sure to make sure they explain piston to valve clearance and how it relates to your cam tune. I'd try to go radical on duration I have not seen anyone do that yet. 260@50 lift keep max lift in check by using the best possible premium springs and retainers.

nordy racer

Established Member
we just installed Comp 3's in my car just last week. we should have 93 gas and E85 numbers shortly.

redline5.0

Established Member
we just installed Comp 3's in my car just last week. we should have 93 gas and E85 numbers shortly.

Did you use limiters or not. I was informed to use limiters on the exhaust side and leave the intake side free. I'm pretty excited to get them in as well.

darreng505

Established Member
Still pending. Waiting on metallurgy results.

Bottom line is if you go with an aggressive custom grind, you are better off having the heads built completely around the cam specs.

Last edited:

redline5.0

Established Member
Cool, I'm interested to see the outcome. I will just be running the off the shelf comps, they make decent power and tuners have some good data on them to go by as well.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
well im putting the whole cj setup on the car by summer.

i bought the frpp exhaust cams. i have yet to see numbers so ill have numbers. if they add 10hp. 167 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread