Can a cop call you idiot?

jshen

Established Member
I guarantee, if I got arrested for something and went to trial, I would NOT USE A PUBLIC DEFENDER!!! Your whole future rests on their lazy ass to get you off. I know of a couple of messed up situations, where there are people locked up, due to crappy public defenders not doing their job. I saw a few of people get released, and would not have been there, if the defender would have done their job, half of what the prosecutor did.

Well you just showed your ignorance making a blank statement like that. Here, we have a great PD's office and they have a caseload of morons who have nothing to do but complain, never worked a day in their life, prey off of law abiding citizens and really give the PDs far more crap than I would deal with. Some THINK just because their salary is paid by the govt. it's free and therefore cheap. This is one of the few exceptions to the rule- "you get what you pay for". Well I get paid by the govt. and if ONE case is not up to my bosses standards- and they're damned high..then I could be gone tomorrow. That's the same for PDs- if they don't do their job- they are subject to dismissal on the spot. However, thank God they don't have the uninformed like you to decide the quality of one's work.

They must have been. A judge is called a judge for a reason :lol1:

Judges? Hows does one become a judge? appointed or elected- they are politicians and I don't have to tell you how 80% of America feels about politicians. Judges know no more than any other attorney...

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
the major difference is that he is being paid to be respectful of the public that he is sworn to protect, and serve - bad day, or not. ANY position where you deal with the public as your job is held to this standard, and you are given disciplinary action, or fired, period! Even if someone is an idiot, LEOs are not supposed to stoop to their level, and be disrespectful. It's sad because I've known many, many really good officers, but it only takes one asshat like that to give them a bad rep in the public eye.:rollseyes

You seem confused L.E.O.s are paid to enforce the laws as passed by your elected officials. They aren't paid to be respectful. They are expected to be respectful, just as any other human being is expected to be respectful, including motorists.

Additionally, officers are sworn to uphold the law and enforce the constitutions of the state and the country. They arent sworn to "Protect and Serve." Protect and Serve is the motto of the LAPD and not the recognized Mantra for all Police departments.

LAPD - A Rewarding Career

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Well, most of them are, aren't they?

A lot of the private Crim. Def. guys are. But surprisingly, I have found some really great attorneys working for the Public Defenders office.

I guarantee, if I got arrested for something and went to trial, I would NOT USE A PUBLIC DEFENDER!!! Your whole future rests on their lazy ass to get you off. I know of a couple of messed up situations, where there are people locked up, due to crappy public defenders not doing their job. I saw a few of people get released, and would not have been there, if the defender would have done their job, half of what the prosecutor did.

Wow, this is an ignorant statement. I would use a seasoned P.D. in a heartbeat if I needed a criminal defense attorney. P.D.s handle criminal cases all day long. They have the backing of all the other P.D.s in their office including their research and writing skills. Having a good P.D.s office representing someone is like having the largest Crim. Def. firm representing you.

I work across from experienced and excellent P.D.s every day. They have over 150 attorneys in their office. They have attorneys who only do legal research and write memoranda of law.

The thing is with the Prosecutors office or the PD, the newbies start with the lower level crimes and are more likely to make mistakes, but none that are irreversible, especially for a defendant. But once a PD is trying felonies, at least in a big office, they are experienced and have more "real" jury trials under their belt than most private crim. def. guys. Plus they know the system, they know the prosecutors, they know the judge, and they know the clerks because they are assigned to the same courtroom and judge.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
As long as I don't get ticketed or my ass whooped, they ccan call me a chicken****er for all I care.

As for the OP, he probably went a little overboard, but really, who cares? You got no ticket and got into your driveway fine, just let it go.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
Additionally, officers are sworn to uphold the law and enforce the constitutions of the state and the country. They arent sworn to "Protect and Serve." Protect and Serve is the motto of the LAPD and not the recognized Mantra for all Police departments.

LAPD - A Rewarding Career
Lol this, I can't stand idiots who pull that line out of their ass. No stupid, you're wrong.

As for the OP, if it happened exactly as you stated, go ahead and report it. I imagine he was tired of telling people the road is closed, but he still should have been polite unless you were being rude as well.

Mustang Man

Established Member
ok i think he was totally wrong in doing what he did and i think you should report him.

now to all of you who said he should just let it slide because the cop could be having a bad day or somthing i want you to do this. if you work with any kind of customers or interaction with the public next time you have a bad day i want you to yell at a customer or person of the public and call them stupid and an idiot and see what happens. i guarantee you that you will get some kind of disciplinary action if not fired right away. now why is a cop any different? because he carries a gun? because he can arrest you? what is it that makes you think cops are any different than me and you that makes it ok to yell and call the people they serve names?

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
Lol this, I can't stand idiots who pull that line out of their ass. No stupid, you're wrong.

As for the OP, if it happened exactly as you stated, go ahead and report it. I imagine he was tired of telling people the road is closed, but he still should have been polite unless you were being rude as well.

Kindly, share what you thing I am wrong about.

I am curious as to what you think he said that is incorrect as well, as FordSVTFan is 100% correct. "Protect and Serve" is the saying of the LAPD, and not the catch phrase for the whole of Law Enforcement.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
I am curious as to what you think he said that is incorrect as well, as FordSVTFan is 100% correct. "Protect and Serve" is the saying of the LAPD, and not the catch phrase for the whole of Law Enforcement.

From the way I read it, it seemed like he was agreeing with FordSVTFan, and was acting like he was speaking to the idiots who use that line when he said "no stupid, you're wrong".

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
From the way I read it, it seemed like he was agreeing with FordSVTFan, and was acting like he was speaking to the idiots who use that line when he said "no stupid, you're wrong".

Re-reading it, you could be right sir, and I appreciate that you pointed that out. I may have taken it out of context; which actually goes to show a crucial part of the equation in this thread regarding communication and its essential flaws.

As an aside in the last 9 years, working in a big city, I have had to conduct countless traffic control scenarios similar to this scene; and have been hit by cars several times that have disregarded my radio car, flares, and the 6' 2" police officer in the neon yellow vest with "POLICE" on it, waving a flashlight, and screaming at them to stop. In a way I can understand the frustration, because the common excuse is "I live right down the street..." but in no way should professionalism be tossed outside of the window for such a minor encounter like the OP's.

I would also submit that people posting that "in my customer service job, if I were talk to customers like that I would be fired..." should take a step back and realize there is no direct comparison to Law Enforcement. Selling a product, writing a policy, face to face customer support/complaint in a static environment can not be compared to going into the unknown to unravel situations that sometimes take years to complicate, with the possibility that someone may be going to jail or something worse has happened.

Sometimes people have to be shocked into listening and sometimes that comes through the use of coarse language. I agree there is certain level of professionalism that must be maintained, and maybe that line was crossed in this case, but I also know there is more than one side to every story.

Last edited:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Re-reading it, you could be right sir, and I appreciate that you pointed that out. I may have taken it out of context; which actually goes to show a crucial part of the equation in this thread regarding communication and its essential flaws.

As an aside in the last 9 years, working in a big city, I have had to conduct countless traffic control scenarios similar to this scene; and have been hit by cars several times that have disregarded my radio car, flares, and the 6' 2" police officer in the neon yellow vest with "POLICE" on it, waving a flashlight, and screaming at them to stop. In a way I can understand the frustration, because the common excuse is "I live right down the street..." but in no way should professionalism be tossed outside of the window for such a minor encounter like the OP's.

I would also submit that people posting that "in my customer service job, if I were talk to customers like that I would be fired..." should take a step back and realize there is no direct comparison to Law Enforcement. Selling a product, writing a policy, face to face customer support/complaint in a static environment can not be compared to going into the unknown to unravel situations that sometimes take years to complicate, with the possibility that someone may be going to jail or something worse has happened.

Sometimes people have to be shocked into listening and sometimes that comes through the use of coarse language. I agree there is certain level of professionalism that must be maintained, and maybe that line was crossed in this case, but I also know there is more than one side to every story.

Wrong, You're dealing with the public, the tax payers who pay your salary. The gun and badge does not give you the right.

If you cannot exercise self control with an assignment as simple as traffic control what is going to happen in a "stressful" situation?

I suggest to those of you in that line of work who do not know how to treat people with respect to find another line of work that doesn't include human interaction.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
Wrong, You're dealing with the public, the tax payers who pay your salary. The gun and badge does not give you the right.

If you cannot exercise self control with an assignment as simple as traffic control what is going to happen in a "stressful" situation?

I suggest to those of you in that line of work who do not know how to treat people with respect to find another line of work that doesn't include human interaction.

I will give your advise all the consideration it deserves; much the same to your opinion of how I should do my job. :rolling:

Good day to you.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member

Should the public be held to the same standard when dealing with police officers as well?

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Should the public be held to the same standard when dealing with police officers as well?

I believe so but then again they're not being paid to do a job, and as I stated above they are being paid by the tax payers.

There is absolutely no reason to be degrading, maintain self control and professionalism l. What's so hard?

Last edited:

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
Where does your pay come from? The money fairy?

Apparently you are unaware of how government and the funding works, a small portion is from taxes, and other infrastructure; but on the same account what you pay in taxes may or may not equal what I pay in taxes myself and therefore saying you as a tax payer pay my salary is an argument that is full of misnomers. A large portion of my own Department is paid for by the city infrastructure which could be attributed to tax payers as much as it is a tax payer that pays you to make french fries at McDonalds (per se); in that it is largely tax payers who pay to use the service (without paying a tax, but an actual service EG transit).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread