Can the new Bronco stack up against the Jeep Wrangler?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Glad to see the bronco add another name in the game my family is a die hard jeep family but are leaving them due to reliability... I have always been the black sheep and driven Toyota 4x4's but know their limitations with that being said it would be nice to see another serious mid size competitor.... The Tacoma in the picture below is under a bit of construction since this picture was taken ;) .... The turdrunner has seen a ton of action since we built it in 2014 and it's been flat bedded one time after it met a big azz rock at speed. lol .. All in all I have been super happy with my Yotas but I am glad to see Ford get in the IFS 4x4 game as it's nice to see another future option. :)
View attachment 1652893

After some high speed fun... View attachment 1652894

You are not having fun till something breaks lol...

I spy scs!

129D1F28-BC07-4CFA-86E7-A9216B81B734.jpeg
2B1F61A6-A26E-4719-953B-7313B3CE3247.jpeg

john11gt

Established Member
If you look closely, he has a Currie antirock sway bar, so if that was not installed he’d have farther to go lol. No flares, obviously tiny to no bumpstops...i bet it’s not even a long arm. If you put bigger tires on a factory JK(unsure on JL) and disconnect the sway bar, your fender flare is gonna be the first to go.
it’s the factory 3.8/42rle...with 140k on it, regeared to 5.13. It’s fine around town after the regear, just can’t pass anyone at highway speeds without some major planning and luck.

What size tires are on it? Looks line 37s in the picture? Does it have too much gear or something? I had 36s on my Cherokee with stock gearing and the 4.0 and highway speeds and passing were not an issue.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
What size tires are on it? Looks line 37s in the picture? Does it have too much gear or something? I had 36s on my Cherokee with stock gearing and the 4.0 and highway speeds and passing were not an issue.
they are 37s, and the lightest one i believe. this thing is just gutless and the tranny is the worst part of it. many would've gone 5.38 in my position, but i still have a d30 front, think richmond made them for a bit and then stopped(rumor was not enough tooth contact). like i said though, it's just the passing speed/acceleration that's bad now, with the 5.13s i can pull out in front of someone and not get ran over lol.

the XJ 4.0 was no slouch, my ex had one and it moved just fine. i know on paper the 3.8 is a little better, but in real life it just doesn't workout that way

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I kinda like the 2 door Bronco. The more I look at it and read about it, the more I like it.
I think the aftermarket for these things are going to be bonkers. Both performance and for aesthetics.

How well do you guys think the 2.7 will fare with a 2 door Bronco? You think it'll be enough power/torque to make it get it up and go when it needs to??

If my wife's Edge Sport is anything to cue off of, the 2.7L is a monster of an engine. It pulls that 4700ish lb vehicle like no other from a dig. So an updated, tuned Bronco should have quite a bit of ass behind it.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
If my wife's Edge Sport is anything to cue off of, the 2.7L is a monster of an engine. It pulls that 4700ish lb vehicle like no other from a dig. So an updated, tuned Bronco should have quite a bit of ass behind it.
The fact a new Explorer ST can pull a tire (tuned), I suspect a tuned Bronco will be doing wheelies!

stangfreak

Established Member
is jeep life still a thing? I remember everyone and there mother were driving jeeps. It was crazy. If so, the bronco will it. IMO, I like the design. I like the car. son of a bitch I would buy it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Looks good to me, personally i like the new Ranger.
My neighbor who drives to Ft Myers every day from here. Dumped his 1500 ram and bought one. Said he didn’t like fords, now loves it. Nice little small big truck. Not much smaller that my 150.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
My neighbor who drives to Ft Myers every day from here. Dumped his 1500 ram and bought one. Said he didn’t like fords, now loves it. Nice little small big truck. Not much smaller that my 150.

Pretty good power from that little 2.3 and handles well. Most that dont like the Ranger have never even driven one. Its purely a dislike in the design.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Pretty good power from that little 2.3 and handles well. Most that dont like the Ranger have never even driven one. Its purely a dislike in the design.
It was what I learned to drive on, my uncles Ford Ranger. Think it was like a 87 or something in the time frame. I loved that truck, gave me freedom at that age. But I still feel they could have done a better job on this one. Like they did the Bronco.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It was what I learned to drive on, my uncles Ford Ranger. Think it was like a 87 or something in the time frame. I loved that truck, gave me freedom at that age. But I still feel they could have done a better job on this one. Like they did the Bronco.

I agree, but im guessing they focused all the time and money into the bronco, the ranger kinda just got thrown out. But i see a raptor version or some type in the future. The ranger definitely has a market

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I agree, but im guessing they focused all the time and money into the bronco, the ranger kinda just got thrown out. But i see a raptor version or some type in the future. The ranger definitely has a market
I was thinking the other day that since the Bronco is based off the Ranger, I could see the Bronco suspension being adapted to the Ranger a year after the Bronco is released. A Ranger with the Sasquatch package and 35's would be awesome.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Like others have said in this post, to me I don't care how it performs against the Jeep. I'm picking up a Bronco because 1) I prefer Fords 2) It looks bad ass 3) I am a huge fan of the Ecoboost and 4) I love the idea of a 4dr convertible to take the family in. I haven't decided on the model, but it will have to have the Sasquatch package, 2.7 motor and the 12" screen :)

IA Shelby

Established Member
Like others have said in this post, to me I don't care how it performs against the Jeep. I'm picking up a Bronco because 1) I prefer Fords 2) It looks bad ass 3) I am a huge fan of the Ecoboost and 4) I love the idea of a 4dr convertible to take the family in. I haven't decided on the model, but it will have to have the Sasquatch package, 2.7 motor and the 12" screen :)
I have reserved a Bronco for many of the same reasons you listed. I currently have a JL Rubicon. I am keeping it as well so I well have all bases covered. Likely going with Wildtrak trim level. Hoping that the rubberized floor and marine vinyl will be made available for the wildtrak trim. Right now it is not an option.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
My last wheelin rig was a fully caged, reverse shackle, SOA, 392cid powered 1976 Scout II on 35s with a Detroit up front and a spool in the back. It drove like shit on the street and was not the least bit comfortable (hot in the summer, cold in the winter).
Now that I'm older, I'd love a capable truck with some creature comforts (A/C, heat) for some light wheeling. The Bronco checks all the boxes for me, although I don't think I'll be able to afford one soon.
Looking forward to seeing some off-road reviews on these.

Users who are viewing this thread