Can you move the location of the intercooler?

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
giphy.gif

Four Door SVT

Established Member
The gen 2 killer chiller has no issues in my car, I went out and did some nice pulls it was 87* out, IAT was 90 and when I put my finger the the intercooler cooler reservoir it was so cold I initially thought I got burnt.

T3naci0usT

Terminator Lover
Established Member
Nice, but that is running your AC during that time correct?
Doesn't that just put more parasitic loss on the engine?

Four Door SVT

Established Member
In my opinion that's not a loss it's a safety measure, and I like to run my a/c when it's hot anyway so why not use it for the engine. Also I haven't insulated the hoses and still have the heat exchanger up front which again most likely cools the air charge across the condenser and radiator

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
meh, some people are a little over zealous, dont worry about it. If you use the search feature here and on google about air to water intercooler setups on these cars you can find diagrams that explain how it works.

The AC compressor kicks off @ WOT throttle. If given enough time it will bring the intercooler circuit coolant temps low enough that you can make some pulls before air temps get warm enough for it to start pulling timing (my old lightning had one and after driving around in FL it would be cold to the touch still. I made 3-4 passes at the 1/8 mile track with ~5minutes between runs for cool downs and they were all within .05 or .07, something like that)

I believe the issue with meth on a PD blower is it needs to be injected post blower and that presents a number of challenges/issues. It appears it just doesnt work as well as it does on a turbo or centri car. Id just run E85 or some other fuel personally. IMHO meth kits add multiple possible failure points and all of them likely result in catastrophic engine failure.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but if you search around there are various upgrades to the factory system - better heat exchangers, fans to put on them, ice tanks, different pumps and mods to the intercooler itself to increase flow.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
E85 Is next on the mod list, I just rebuilt the engine and transmission, I put the compression at 10:1 and with the plans to install the KC and e85 to prevent detonation with the higher compression ratio and lower boost, only pushing 10 psi now but when the Corn goes in the power will go up

T3naci0usT

Terminator Lover
Established Member
Well from what I have heard with e85 is that isn't constant and it completely ruins the fuel economy.

Zemedici

Established Member
Well from what I have heard with e85 is that isn't constant and it completely ruins the fuel economy.

you can check fuel, but dont get E85 in the winter months and you'll be fine. Its still gotta be regulated. Those days are long behind us thankfully.

It will lower your fuel economy, as E85 burns 30% faster than pump gas (typically) - however, who cares about gas mileage in these cars? :D

T3naci0usT

Terminator Lover
Established Member
True, but i would want a bad batch, and for it completely destroy my car....
Also it isn't really readily available where I live.

Four Door SVT

Established Member

Now that's beating a dead horse, fuel economy isn't a concern when dialing in hp. I already have a good tune for drive ability and fuel economy. Since it's been rebuilt I drove it to Atlanta then to Denver up pikes peak and back to northern Indiana, the car was done may 12 and has 5800 miles on it since.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
take your average mileage, subtract 30%, thats about what you should see. If you get 20 on the highway with 93 youd get around 14 on E85

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i have an 85 tune instead of a race gas tune. I run around on 93 most of the time. I think 10 tanks of E85 pays for the upgrades to the fuel system to handle the extra volume and after that its all money in the bank when compared to the per gallon cost of an equivalent race fuel.

When its time to switch to E85 I just run the tank of 93 down real low then fill up and swap tunes.

94slowbra1

Established Member
i cant believe we are having a fuel mileage discussion at the same time as how to make hp!
bottom line is there are improvements to be made to the factory i/c system and h/e system. at what point do they make a big difference and at what cost is depending on how far you want to go.
meth will only get you so far here.
e85 is your best bet for cooling and octane. not readily available to me so i am going to buy it by the drum for my warm months and run my 93 tune during the winter

Users who are viewing this thread