Can you shave off "shelby" if you have stripes?

Third Honk

It's OK, I'm Handsome
Established Member
Fell in love with the 03 Cobra but was still in school when they came out. Decided I'd buy the next gen Cobra because I always loved Coletti's philosophy of an affordable performance car that would do everything that you needed. Walked into the dealer to pre-order an 07 and the douche bag salesman said I better not even think of buying the new "Shelby" unless I'm ready to pay a 20k markup. Ever since then I've hated the Shelby name as it added nothing to the car other than a ridiculous markup at the time and have always longed for the return of the true SVT philosophy.

I really like the 2013's and the additional badging of SVT on the car, it's a top contender for the next parking spot in the garage but I still have that bad taste in my mouth from the arrogance that the Shelby name brought and would like to rid the car of it if I could.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Fell in love with the 03 Cobra but was still in school when they came out. Decided I'd buy the next gen Cobra because I always loved Coletti's philosophy of an affordable performance car that would do everything that you needed. Walked into the dealer to pre-order an 07 and the douche bag salesman said I better not even think of buying the new "Shelby" unless I'm ready to pay a 20k markup. Ever since then I've hated the Shelby name as it added nothing to the car other than a ridiculous markup at the time and have always longed for the return of the true SVT philosophy.

I really like the 2013's and the additional badging of SVT on the car, it's a top contender for the next parking spot in the garage but I still have that bad taste in my mouth from the arrogance that the Shelby name brought and would like to rid the car of it if I could.

I wouldn't blame the Shelby name, I'd blame the douche bag salesman. Don't buy it from him!

Crowley

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Did you attempt going to any other dealerships??? That salesmen is certainly a douche bag. Reminds me of when I went to buy my G8. First dealership I went to wouldn't come a penny off of sticker price and then the sales manager told me I couldn't afford the car. What a joke that service was, they obviously didn't want to sell me the car because I didn't come in with the Benjamins blazzin'. Bought it at another dealer that was willing to work with me, and passed by that dealership again a week or so later after I bought the car. I luckily caught the sales manager outside. I honked and waved. The look on her face, PRICELESS!!!

Moral of the story is, shop around. If some douche bag salesmen doesn't seem interested in working with out, they'll be another one somewhere that is!

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
You probably don't realize that the 03s had similar markups when they were new as well. 5-10k markups were the norm (on a 35k car). Doesn't really have anything to do with the "Shelby" name.

Sent from my iHype5 using Tapatalk

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
Why would you shave of the Shelby name? You should be proud to rock that name on the back of your car. Don't blame Shelby for the ignorance of a silly sales person.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Youd be looking at 14's unless its a 13 leftover.
The dealerships make the ADM's, not Shelby or Ford.

ponygirl06

Established Member
The name is only on the trunk in letters under the wing, the stripes have GT500 on them and the emblems on the side and front are cobras. The door sills have SVT as does the tach. You could remove the Shelby, but I don't see why you are letting your bad experience with the jerk salesperson ruin Shelby's name for you. I always wanted a Shelby so I'm proud of his name on the back.
27286FD6-AE93-4A73-B54D-897468D6EB68-9735-00000EBA6DB4B57C_zps6a2f0ff1.jpg

5.0 guy

Established Member
I had a similar situation back in 07, put a $1,000 deposit on a GT 500 at an SVT dealer in Denver a year in advance. I was told I was numb 32 on their list and was told they would call me for my order specs when the order blacks were in. I never got a call from them and started seeing GT500's for sale on Ebay so I called wondering why and they told me that SVT dealers were no longer the only dealers that could order the car so I was basically screwed and there was now an ADM on them. I cancelled my order an demanded my deposit back and bought a different car. Needless to say I'm glad I didn't since 07 owners were screwed on resale value after the crazy ADMs they paid. In 08 my local dealer's owner ordered a blk 08 vert exactly to the specs I wanted and had to sell it because Of the recession. It was rolled of the truck into his personal showroom then into my garage. I'm very proud to be a part of the Shelby heritage and have the same obsession for hopped up Mustangs as CS did. Leave the Shelby name and enjoy a beautiful car that comes with great lineage!

Myfast70

Established Member
First off, a de-badged Shelby looks awesome!! There's a member on here with a white '13 that took off all of the stripes and badges and it looks sick!

Second, all of the hassle, headaches, waiting and pain of searching for one goes away the first time you park you ass in the awesome Recaro's, turn the key and hear the rumble and finally when you plant your right foot against the floor board with the gas pedal in between. You will be nothing but all smiles at the point, I promise!

jay38372

Established Member
My daughter was riding with me on the way to walmart with her ipad in hand recording her trip, I was in second gear and just for shits and giggles I nailed it big time, her reply back to me was "holy crap thanks dad I just recorded the sky going by" couldn't help but smile and laugh about it. You cant help but keep wanting to bury the go pedal all the time in this car.

Third Honk

It's OK, I'm Handsome
Established Member
I wouldn't blame the Shelby name, I'd blame the douche bag salesman. Don't buy it from him!

I won't be buying from that dealership but I still blame Ford for simply tacking on a name to the car to generate sales. Even if they gave Shelby .50 cents per car to put his name on it I think it's wrong and goes against SVT's original purpose/philosophy. Yes it's a great thing from a bean counters standpoint but if I cared about that I'd buy a Toyota or VW.

Why would you shave of the Shelby name? You should be proud to rock that name on the back of your car. Don't blame Shelby for the ignorance of a silly sales person.

Ford did nothing at the time to quell the obscene markups that were simply associated with the name on the car. The 03 Cobra may have had a big mark up (not in this area from my experience) because of the drastic performance increase from the previous model but the 07 Shelbese did not distinguish itself as such and only had the corresponding mark up because of the dumb name on the car.

The name is only on the trunk in letters under the wing, the stripes have GT500 on them and the emblems on the side and front are cobras. The door sills have SVT as does the tach. You could remove the Shelby, but I don't see why you are letting your bad experience with the jerk salesperson ruin Shelby's name for you. I always wanted a Shelby so I'm proud of his name on the back.

That's what I'm wondering about, can I put a heat gun to those letters or are the stripes cut around them? The roundel on the trunk will be difficult but maybe I can get some ebayer who does metal etching to make me an SVT one.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
The trunk lettering is easy to remove if you wish. Ford was smart to use the shelby name, they sold a ton of cars and it helped revive SVT to what they are now.

Third Honk

It's OK, I'm Handsome
Established Member
^ what involvement was that? He had no input on the engineering of the car unless he some how became familiar with plasma lined cylinders lol. SVT engineers are the credit to what the GT500 is, not the guys name on the car meant to drum up sales.

and it helped revive SVT to what they are now.

I humbly disagree. SVT had a...

Performance Compact car - SVT Focus
Performance Coupe - SVT Cobra
Performance Sedan - SVT Contour
Performance Truck - SVT Lightning
Performance Super Car - Ford GT

A lot of those died when Shelby came on the scene and replaced the SVT moniker. Only one performance vehicle was offered which was the GT500 and then you had possibly the dumbest vehicle ever created which was the Shelby GT which only offered an intake, tune, springs, catback exhaust, and of course that wonderful NAME for how much more than a standard GT?????

[youtube_browser]HlqjChw9H3A[/youtube_browser]

I like the Raptors but it's the answer to a question that no one was asking. They look great but they are slow and offer nothing close to what the lightning did in terms of performance.

I think Ford/SVT has certainly progressed from the dark days of the 3V's and that platform but certainly has a long way to go in terms of what it once was. The 13 Shelby's remind me of the glory the 03's started which is why I'm considering them.

ponygirl06

Established Member
I really don't think the Shelby would be what it is today without Carroll's involvement.

On the first anniversary of Carroll Shelby's death I watched several TV shows about CS. One of the shows was about S197 GT500 development and they interviewed several Ford engineers who helped design the cars including Jamal Hameedi. You could tell the engineers had a great deal of respect for Shelby and valued his opinions and input. The GT500 in the background looked like a 2012, not a 2013. I was packing that night and didn't pay attention to all the details, there may have been some 2013s I didn't notice.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Don't buy a Shelby. Go find something else and leave the cars to people who appreciate all aspects if them. "Shelby" had nothing to do with your experience. Your venom has been misplaced for a lot if years my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread