Cancelled Cable (finally)

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been using YouTube TV for a year and love it. It did jump from $40 to $50 but they've been adding more channels, and it has just about every channel I care about. No regrets.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
The margin for cable packages is less than 10% while the margin for internet packages is over 80%; cable companies don't really mind you canceling the TV as much as you think when they're making a killing off of you using their internet to stream.

The streaming services and internet providers will continue to gradually increase their prices until they turn in to the tv cable companies of say 5 years ago and force development of a new way to give people what they want.

...and Maximus said to Commodus, "the time for honoring yourself will soon come to an end."

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What’s the best non cable tv service, Hulu?

Depends on what you watch. There are sites that will show you every channel that each streaming service has. You will find that each service is probably missing that important channel or two that you want.

I use Hulu Live so I get no commercials and Local Stations ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. Most of the streaming services don’t carrying the local stations. I also get Philo so I get AMC and some other important channels missing from Hulu. I enjoy watching/listening to AXS TV on Sunday nights as they play music concerts. Hulu Live is really great though.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Any streaming services for Discovery Channel? About the thing i watch besides sports

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any streaming services for Discovery Channel? About the thing i watch besides sports

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Fubo is marketed towards sport watchers. They have a buttload of sport channels but no Discovery and interestingly no ESPN.

Also something to consider when choosing a service is not all streaming services play on all devices. Example YouTube TV doesn’t play on Amazon Firestick currently. There is a work around or mod for us car guys but not as simply as clicking on one app.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
By switching to DTVN I've saved almost one hundred a month and I'm only missing a few channels which is better than paying more for hundreds I never watched. Download the appropriate channel apps and you can watch just about everything ever aired on the network.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I haven't watched cable TV in probably 10 years. Yes I've watched TV at a friends of family member's place, but in terms of being at my place, bored and going for the TV? Nope.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hulu gets kind of annoying with the commercials but still much better than getting that bloated cable bill every month.
I have Hulu Plus with ad-block, but you still get the regular commercials. However, I record the majority of the limited Hulu shows that I have a regular interest in. Like Live PD!! So I expanded my Hulu DVR cloud storage to 200gb for $9.99 a month, and with that comes the ability to skip commercials on playback. I am happy to pay the $10 for that.

I cut the cord a few months ago, and my bill went from $230 a month to $60 a month. Streaming is different than menu based cable/satellite services, but you adjust. I did, just fine. I just wish I cut the cord sooner, as many of you urged me to do more than once.
1635563105290246~c5_100x100.jpg

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
If I may ask, can someone tell me how you watch NFL during the season?
That's the only thing (NFL Sunday Ticket) I use it for really and local news. I have Comcast. My Wifes work pays 100% of the internet, she works from home

I have Netflix and Amazon if that helps with an answer

Kevins89notch

Established Member

Well baseball here, but illegal streams. :)

I google "cubs live stream reddit" because I'm too lazy to bookmark this link: MLB Streams

Now it looks like crap right now because they delete posts after a game. So in 12 hours, you'll see all sorts of posts like "Chicago White Sox @ Chicago Cubs, 8:05 est."

You click that and you'll see like 6-7 posts of links to stream the game. They will have info related to what size the screen is, if you have to close an ad before watching, if it works on mobile, etc.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
...and for a bonus fun fact I had long forgotten about, if you want to download any movie that's not brand new, just google ... "index of" "parent directory" fate of the furious ... for example. Click a link or two and you'll see 1.5GB links. Right click, save as, and you're golden.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's the only thing (NFL Sunday Ticket) I use it for really and local news. I have Comcast. My Wifes work pays 100% of the internet, she works from home

I have Netflix and Amazon if that helps with an answer

Legal way is you have to subscribe to Direct TV. Amazon has an APP for NFL Sunday Ticket but playback sounds suspect at best.

You could jailbreak or side load your Firestick, if that is what you have, and subscribe or watch NFL Sunday Ticket for free. Your decision. NFL was hinting this might be the last year of DirectTV exclusive rights on NFL Sunday Ticket. Hope for NFL cord cutters everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread