Canton tank weld failure

ponyboy03

Established Member
My Canton overflow tank bursted at the weld and leaked coolant. Anyone been through this before? I'm calling them tomorrow so I was wondering if they'll replace it. It's about a year old. I heard they may have made them stronger now. The thought of going back to the plastic bottle brings back some bad memories.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Why would reinstalling the plastic tank bring back bad memories when the the metal tank is the one that gave you problems in the first place?

GodStang

Established Member
This is Very very very very common!! If yours does not do this I would be surprised. The whole reason I have not added this mod.

ponyboy03

Established Member
Ok I called Canton and they are going to replace it. It seems they know about these busting on the Cobra due to a "surge" condition. They said they reinforce it so it will never happen again. Sounds good to me!

Ok I called Canton and they are going to replace it. It seems they know about these busting on the Cobra due to a "surge" condition. They said they reinforce it so it will never happen again. Sounds good to me!

That whole 'surge condition' is a load of crap. I had my Canton crack last year and the replacement they sent had much better welds. Thats the difference. The one I purchased in '06 simply had inferior welds. Have since sold the replacement and I now run the Moroso overflow tank which has superior welds and works with the stock radiator cap. And its priced almost the same.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
surge my ass. i just bought a set of tanks and the welds are total overkill on them

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
i have a canton tank, they also say not to plug the outlet by the cap, leave it open and just place a hose on it venting down towards the bottom of the car

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
My Canton overflow tank bursted at the weld and leaked coolant. Anyone been through this before? I'm calling them tomorrow so I was wondering if they'll replace it. It's about a year old. I heard they may have made them stronger now. The thought of going back to the plastic bottle brings back some bad memories.

glad they arew replacing it

Users who are viewing this thread