Car and Driver Lightning Lap 2022

kaz109

Established Member
Thought would enjoy the content. My favorites are Mach 1 , AMG Black Series and GT3

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great video, Kaz. I fully expected to have a slightly different "best 3", but mine were identical in this order.
Mach 1
GT3
AMG Black Series

Why that order? Because the Mach is IMO better suited to daily driving duties, tons of fun on weekends and at the track. and carry the kiddies if needed.

kaz109

Established Member
Great video, Kaz. I fully expected to have a slightly different "best 3", but mine were identical in this order.
Mach 1
GT3
AMG Black Series

Why that order? Because the Mach is IMO better suited to daily driving duties, tons of fun on weekends and at the track. and carry the kiddies if needed.
I hear what your saying. I think Ford really hit the nail on the head with the Mach 1…. Something I still can’t get over is just how heavy cars are nowadays. It’s crazy that 3800-4000lbs is the norm. For that reason alone is why I love the GT3 more than any other car on the market.

The 996 GT3 was just under 3200lbs and now two decades later it’s still weighting in barley over 3200lbs even though this Gen isn’t my favorite looking GT3 I love how Porsche always sticks to their formula

72SBC

Established Member
I’m so glad I got a HP Mach. The GT350 guys are getting really uncomfortable now LOL. I had the feeling the Mach was faster when I took mine out especially in tight stuff but apparently it’s faster on the longer stuff too.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just got in a 22 Mach 1 that's unspoken for. I'd love to take it through the paces

Sent from my Potato

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Color and options?
Here's the window sticker

Screenshot_20220209-075621_Office.jpeg

Sent from my Potato

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I’m so glad I got a HP Mach. The GT350 guys are getting really uncomfortable now LOL. I had the feeling the Mach was faster when I took mine out especially in tight stuff but apparently it’s faster on the longer stuff too.

FWIW, while this is a nice comparison, VIR is quite significantly faster than it was in 2016 when they ran the GT350R. They smoothed a lot of problem areas and added camber to a few turns. The local guys say it's 1.8 seconds quicker, which was backed up by 7 GTLM cars breaking the class record after it was repaved.

Figure 8 times/speeds are almost identical to the GT350 (the mach is like .1 slower), which it should be. It's a GT350 with a lower redline. The only place it misses out is when the legs need to be stretched hence the 4-6mph difference in trap speeds.

I would love to drive one, it wasn't just the engine that made the 350 special, although the RPM never grew old. That chassis was/is very well done.

72SBC

Established Member
FWIW, while this is a nice comparison, VIR is quite significantly faster than it was in 2016 when they ran the GT350R. They smoothed a lot of problem areas and added camber to a few turns. The local guys say it's 1.8 seconds quicker, which was backed up by 7 GTLM cars breaking the class record after it was repaved.

Figure 8 times/speeds are almost identical to the GT350 (the mach is like .1 slower), which it should be. It's a GT350 with a lower redline. The only place it misses out is when the legs need to be stretched hence the 4-6mph difference in trap speeds.

I would love to drive one, it wasn't just the engine that made the 350 special, although the RPM never grew old. That chassis was/is very well done.
A Mach is a gt350 minus the motor. Has the same subframe and suspension, and the latest version of the mag ride. Trans is the same but has rev match. WAY more low down power under 5k. I would pull easily away out of the corners from them, then they would catch up just before the breaking zones.Really it’s a drivers race in most peoples worlds. I’m not convinced it’s faster than a R on most courses but I would say it’s faster than a non R. It actually brakes better than the gt350 too, I don’t know why though. I know when I was on track the brakes would bite so hard it would unsettle the rear at times and had 0 fade issues in my 20 min sessions.

If you get a chance you have to drive it hard to understand the Mach otherwise it drives like a regular mustang 5.0, which is awesome because a gt350 is a horrible street car.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Why did they even bother, GT3 or the AMG is going to win, anything else is out of pitty, LOL.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
A Mach is a gt350 minus the motor. Has the same subframe and suspension, and the latest version of the mag ride. Trans is the same but has rev match. WAY more low down power under 5k. I would pull easily away out of the corners from them, then they would catch up just before the breaking zones.Really it’s a drivers race in most peoples worlds. I’m not convinced it’s faster than a R on most courses but I would say it’s faster than a non R. It actually brakes better than the gt350 too, I don’t know why though. I know when I was on track the brakes would bite so hard it would unsettle the rear at times and had 0 fade issues in my 20 min sessions.

If you get a chance you have to drive it hard to understand the Mach otherwise it drives like a regular mustang 5.0, which is awesome because a gt350 is a horrible street car.

does it have the same awesome brakes as the GT350? can it fit the same super wide wheels/tires up front? the gt350 has wider front fenders right? does the Mach as well?

if i was in the market it would be hard to choose... i dont know if id want to risk the motor issues with the gt350 so the mach 1 looks very attractive. they look great in that fighter jet gray with the orange trim package

72SBC

Established Member
does it have the same awesome brakes as the GT350? can it fit the same super wide wheels/tires up front? the gt350 has wider front fenders right? does the Mach as well?

if i was in the market it would be hard to choose... i dont know if id want to risk the motor issues with the gt350 so the mach 1 looks very attractive. they look great in that fighter jet gray with the orange trim package
I currently have 305’s(10.5 wide wheel) on the front and 325’s(11 wide wheel) on the rear with the PS4’s so the fronts are a little wider than the cup2’s. Same size wheel as a gt350 but I think the R has 11 inch fronts . Rear brake is not the same but fronts are 6 piston.
8EE16728-227D-48CF-ADFC-9FDA121DAEDD.jpeg
168F054B-B9FF-4867-9CDD-135CBD08F8D0.jpeg
DBCB3242-6C10-40F6-852A-4FFF5448E17E.jpeg
822FDCD3-1FC9-454B-A7A5-C3D6C6157377.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread