Car at exhaust shop: suddenly no longer starting

hatchke

Established Member
Oddly enough, not a lot of success here. I went back last night with a fresh battery and it's doing the same thing it was the other day. It starts up really quickly, idles for a second and then starts slowly sputtering until it dies within like 5-8s. After that it doesn't want to start again until I let it sit for a little bit.

If I let it sit for a few minutes without retrying, it'll do the same exact thing. Start up is fast and then chokes slowly. It also is unresponsive to any gas pedal movement, it doesn't seem like it does anything positive or negative.

I'm unfortunately just getting it towed back to the house as we speak. The 40min drive to the shop is killing me on time this week, so i'll just tinker with it at the house.

I'll just start from the top and go back through the normal troubleshooting. The one variable I haven't gotten back to trying is using my original key that i know works for sure. I don't know all the symptoms of PATS problems, but it feels odd that the car starts really easily and then seems. to act like it's not getting any fuel and sputters until death.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Wonder what fuel pressure is at the rail and what the computer is seeing. Wonder if it will run on starter fluid. Starting from the top is a very good idea. I hope you get it figured out fast. I would not be a happy camper if this were me.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Oddly enough, not a lot of success here. I went back last night with a fresh battery and it's doing the same thing it was the other day. It starts up really quickly, idles for a second and then starts slowly sputtering until it dies within like 5-8s. After that it doesn't want to start again until I let it sit for a little bit.

If I let it sit for a few minutes without retrying, it'll do the same exact thing. Start up is fast and then chokes slowly. It also is unresponsive to any gas pedal movement, it doesn't seem like it does anything positive or negative.

I'm unfortunately just getting it towed back to the house as we speak. The 40min drive to the shop is killing me on time this week, so i'll just tinker with it at the house.

I'll just start from the top and go back through the normal troubleshooting. The one variable I haven't gotten back to trying is using my original key that i know works for sure. I don't know all the symptoms of PATS problems, but it feels odd that the car starts really easily and then seems. to act like it's not getting any fuel and sputters until death.
I don't know anything around PATS, but I suspect it wouldn't allow it to start at all. It's starting to sound like a mechanical issue to me. Did you check the oil and coolant to make sure nothing was mixing?

01yellercobra

Established Member
PATS won't let it start at all. The engine would just spin and spin. As mentioned it might worth checking the fuel pressure.

FWIW, I had the FRPS on my 01 Cobra blow out while the car was idling. I was adjusting something on the throttlebody, shut the car off, and when I went to restart it the car barely ran and had black smoke coming out of the tail pipe. That was a heart stopper. The fuel system wasn't crazy either. Just GT pumps and a wire upgrade.

hatchke

Established Member
Rail is getting 50psi, battery is all good on a charger and had the exact same thing happening again. Car starts up immediately, runs for a few seconds and then dies.

My theft light is flashing repeatedly the whole time which made me start thinking. Pulled codes and I have a P1260. Checked the PATS code blinking sequence and i'm throwing code 16. 1260 suggests the car is immobilized, which I guess could make sense.

I have three keys, and all of them leave the 'theft' light flashing repeatedly. For now I just unplugged the battery for a bit and i'll go back to see if it'll recognize my original key again like it used to.

The other odd part is that PATS is disabled in my tune, so this shouldn't really be an issue. I don't really know what to think at this point.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Rail is getting 50psi, battery is all good on a charger and had the exact same thing happening again. Car starts up immediately, runs for a few seconds and then dies.

My theft light is flashing repeatedly the whole time which made me start thinking. Pulled codes and I have a P1260. Checked the PATS code blinking sequence and i'm throwing code 16. 1260 suggests the car is immobilized, which I guess could make sense.

I have three keys, and all of them leave the 'theft' light flashing repeatedly. For now I just unplugged the battery for a bit and i'll go back to see if it'll recognize my original key again like it used to.

The other odd part is that PATS is disabled in my tune, so this shouldn't really be an issue. I don't really know what to think at this point.
Reflash the tune. Can’t hurt.

hatchke

Established Member
Reflash the tune. Can’t hurt.

I reconnected the battery, locked/unlocked the car and flashed the startup tune again. I'm not sure if PATS was pissed from the alternative keys or what, but the damn thing started and runs.

Just took it around the block. Had to burn off a bunch of extra fuel here and there but it's back to driving smooth again. I have a new set of plugs waiting, and then i'll probably change the oil again just for peace of mind.

Looks like we can put this one to rest finally. A series of calamities and errors, but the car is back driving again.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So you re-flashed the tune and tried the original key, and now the problem is gone. Got to wonder what the shop could have done, but it seems more and more likely they did some welding on the car. Did you see any signs on the undercarriage of welding work done?

You may never know the exact cause, but at least you can breath a huge sigh of relief and move on.

hatchke

Established Member
Haha yeah i've just been happy the car is back and running this weekend. I've been logging some miles trying to make sure everything is in running order for tuning on Friday! Hoping for some pretty solid numbers out of this 2.9.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Haha yeah i've just been happy the car is back and running this weekend. I've been logging some miles trying to make sure everything is in running order for tuning on Friday! Hoping for some pretty solid numbers out of this 2.9.
I'm looking forward to hearing what those (solid) numbers are! (y)

hatchke

Established Member
shouldn't matter with PATS disabled in the tune...whole situation is weird
Agreed. I don't really enjoy that not a lot of this makes sense to me. That's part of why I like mechanics and vehicles in general - there's usually some sense and order in things.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed. I don't really enjoy that not a lot of this makes sense to me. That's part of why I like mechanics and vehicles in general - there's usually some sense and order in things.
I would just try to write it off to the fact that sometimes electronics do weird shit and need a reboot. Hell, I used to have to pull the fuse in my truck for Sync every couple weeks to keep it working correctly with my iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread