Car in the garage

fake

Established Member
I'll make this as short as possible. Just asking opinions on this.
I had a 2011 5.0 and it was my pride and joy. Wife and I are trying to have a kid, and she ended up prego. Her car is a 2dr 2009 Eclipse (paid off); and of course the 5.0 was not paid off. I started getting into daddy mode and decided to trade the 5.0 in on a 4 dr vehicle. (Yes, I know a baby can fit in the rear of a mustang)

Anyways, wife had ectopic pregnancy, so no baby. We are still trying but I still wanted a 4-dr. I ended up trading the 5.0 on a 2013 4dr Toyota Tacoma. I'm saving 120.00 a month on a car payment.

Here is the point to all my rambling. When I got the Tacoma, I told the wife we could look for an older Mustang. Mid April, I found my 1997 Cobra. Excellent condition, aside from 148K miles. (mostly all hwy miles).

The wife's car gets the garage along with the Cobra. My question is, would you put the brand new 32K truck in the garage or the Cobra? I have the Cobra in there now. I initially had the Tacoma in the garage but got tired of seeing the Cobra getting thrashed outside. My friends convienced me to keep the Tacoma outside by asking me what vehicle I would keep longer. Of course I said the Cobra.

What would you guys do in my situation? New Tacoma or Cobra in the garage?

Last edited:

fake

Established Member
Well the cobra is more collectible...tough choice.
-Garrett

That is my thinking also. The Cobra is slowly gaining value. I guess I hate seeing a brand new vehicle outside in the elements. I'm sure after a few more months, the "newness" will wear off.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Anyways, wife had ectopic pregnancy, so no baby.

Very sorry to hear this.

Do you have room in the driveway for one or the other or is a garage or street situation? I would suggest keeping the Tacoma in the garage and the Cobra in the driveway under a cover.

fake

Established Member
Very sorry to hear this.

Do you have room in the driveway for one or the other or is a garage or street situation? I would suggest keeping the Tacoma in the garage and the Cobra in the driveway under a cover.

Thank you. We are hopeful and trying again.

It's a double garage with driveway. Here is a pic on the day I got it to give you an idea how my driveway/garage is.

CAM00031_zps0853b987.jpg

I thought about the car cover thing but here in NM, we are under a drought and the wind blows the dirt everywhere; including under car covers.

I should just go buy a 3 car garage house. LOL

Zemedici

Established Member
sorry to hear that about the nino. Keep at it!

I would keep the cobra in the garage. Trucks made to take a beating. :beer:

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Op my driveway and garage is like yours. My wifes car and my cobra are in the garage while my z06 is outside lol. My Z is my dd and the cobra is my toy. The cobra is a vert with 29k miles, perfect body and interior, and a built motor with a blower and built trans: No way it is sitting outside lol!

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
No offense maybe the 03-04's have value but at 150k miles I can't imagine that car being worth more than 7k. Nice seats though.

Maybe if it was under 80k or under 60k. 150k miles, being 16 years old, it's just a mustang that was driven, so drive it. Unless you are doing a full restoration.

Cobras are awesome and I guess are "rare" but most people IMO are now all about the 2011+. I enjoy my 02 as a daily and my 96 Saleen with a TT sits in the garage. But I sold my kb 1.7 while the selling was good. If you car was lower in miles it would be a collectible, most 20k and under original owner cobras don't sell for more than 15-20 k. Then you get into the terminator range with a supercharged built motor.

Don't take offense OP treat the car right and enjoy every drive, all I'm saying is the miles are high. If you don't want the sun beating on it any more, garage the beast!!

:beer:

fake

Established Member
No offense maybe the 03-04's have value but at 150k miles I can't imagine that car being worth more than 7k. Nice seats though.

Maybe if it was under 80k or under 60k. 150k miles, being 16 years old, it's just a mustang that was driven, so drive it. Unless you are doing a full restoration.

Cobras are awesome and I guess are "rare" but most people IMO are now all about the 2011+. I enjoy my 02 as a daily and my 96 Saleen with a TT sits in the garage. But I sold my kb 1.7 while the selling was good. If you car was lower in miles it would be a collectible, most 20k and under original owner cobras don't sell for more than 15-20 k. Then you get into the terminator range with a supercharged built motor.

Don't take offense OP treat the car right and enjoy every drive, all I'm saying is the miles are high. If you don't want the sun beating on it any more, garage the beast!!

:beer:

No offense taken at all. I do plan on restoring her a bit. Eventually I will beef up the engine by going forged.

Noreast

Established Member
My 96 sits in the garage. 145k miles and all. Over my parents new cars too. Mileage is just a number. If the car is mint ( which it looks like it ) I would garage it this way it stays in the best shape it could be.

redrocket16

Established Member
IMO these year models are known to have horrible paint fading issues with being left in the sun. I would put it in the garage and not think twice about the new truck. I have a new DD that sits outside while the mystic sits in the garage.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Well considering that one vehicle is 16 years old and it's not getting any younger.. why subject it to constant UV damage just accelerating the deterioration?!

A brand new daily driver pick-up is just that, BRAND NEW and it's got fresh paint and materials that can stand up to the elements. And it's a truck.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
My 96 sits in the garage while my brand new 13 Ram sits outside. However, my truck doesn't fit in the garage anyways so a no brainer for me.

fake

Established Member
Thanks for everybody's input. The Tacoma is a truck and does not have the heritage a Mustang has. Eventually I do plan on building the engine up in the Cobra. Not really worried about value. It's more of a passion for me. The Cobra is my 6th Mustang.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I'm guessing the truck has full coverage and the car may not. I'd let the truck sit outside. IMO someone is more likely to mess with or steal the cobra than the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread