Car Insurance

Marc

Established Member
I know with winter coming up not too far in the future, my Shelby will be spend more time in the garage than on the road. Currently, my insurance here in Utah says that everyone must be insured on all cars in the household which is not cheap with a 17 year old in the house. I am the only one that drives the car--ever.

Any good advice for some cheap insurance? I know some insurance companies will give you a break if you drive less than 5K a year, or 3K a year. Also, can you classify it as a recreational type vehicle since its not a daily driver.

I am approaching retirement and downsizing my bills right now and insurance is one of them.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
What did your insurance company title the car as when you first put insurance on it? When my agent put the car in the system it came up as a "premium" vehicle and not a performance vehicle. Came out to be less than 200 dollars more per year than the wife's Honda.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Bundle your house & car(s) with the same co. Raise your deductible to $ 1,000 or 1500.
Shop around..
When I got my 11, I had been with the same co. for 20 years. Their quote for 6 months, ( 11 Shelby & 07 Ranger ) was 1200+................switched to Geico, more coverage, & pay $ 763 / 6 months.
I will be insurance shopping as soon as the 14 shows up, just to see what's out there..

Last edited:

Marc

Established Member
:lol: :lol:

I did have my house and car bundled up with USAA, but as soon as my daughter got her driver's license, they jacked my rates up so high, I had to drop them. Currently I am with geico.

5 Cars, 3 full coverage, 2 liability only, Me, wife, and daughter driving, zero tickets = $266 a month...around $1600 every 6 months.

RUQWIKR

Established Member
Look into Grundy or Heacock Classic. They do limited use policies on classics, musclecars, and so on. I have had stuff with Heacock for years.

97DOHCobra

Established Member
my insurance increased $300 per year from my 03 cobra to the 14 Shelby. FWIW

Husky44

Established Member
Marc,

That's actually not bad compared to what I am paying for insurance on 4 vehicles, 3 drivers in AK. I'm still using USAA, no one has beat them yet for me.

Do you put your car in storage for the winter? When I do, that drops my premium significantly. Essentially You are down to a comp only premium, but can't drive the car until you have the insurance take it out of storage coverage in spring.

Marc

Established Member
I keep insurance on my Shelby in the winter even though it does limited driving. If it is nice, I want to take it out.

I can try Heacock. Haggerty quoted me at $1550 a year...more than I am paying with Geico when broken down.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i have American Collector Car Insurance. no limits on annual mileage but its not allowed to be a DD and it must be garaged. they allow you to drive it work occasionally or to shops/shows/dinner/etc... i pay $600 a year for full coverage, $1 million on all coverages and ZERO deductible. agreed value for the car and its mods. of course my car is worth half of what yours is so the insurance will likely be quite a bit more.

verbal

Established Member

I did have my house and car bundled up with USAA, but as soon as my daughter got her driver's license, they jacked my rates up so high, I had to drop them. Currently I am with geico.

5 Cars, 3 full coverage, 2 liability only, Me, wife, and daughter driving, zero tickets = $266 a month...around $1600 every 6 months.

If you drive any of your vehicles less than 5000 miles per year I would classify them as "pleasure" vehicles. I have both my truck and GT500 classified this way.

I just shopped for insurance this week and ended up playing a bunch of games with Geico. When I got another policy with Farmers and called Geico back to cancel they sent me to a special team that reduced my rate by 40%.

masonh

Established Member
Bundle your house & car(s) with the same co. Raise your deductible to $ 1,000 or 1500.

This is probably the biggest saver. I had to do this as well. I was with General for auto and they were cheap, but when I called to switch cars, they said that they do not insure the 2013 Shelby GT500 period for any drivers. That's crazy.

Anyway maybe it's because you are in Utah, but where I live you can exclude any household member you want from the policy. You just have to sign off on it and hope he doesn't take the car out for a joyride one night.

rwboring

Established Member

you need to go to an insurance agent and not something like Geico. For instance I have "high risk" and I shopped around, well an agent came up with enough discounts where it barely changed the price.

They "work" for the insurance company but they also get money per policy they write, so the cheaper it is they more the sell. Where getting it straight from Geico, progressive, etc (or doing their little online quote) they are in it to rape you (and not lose money).

Its quite fascinating how it works actually but seriously grab your phone book and find a couple agencies to call that handle multiple brands, you might be surprised.

Now that you mention daughter and not son, just marry her off and make it someone else's problem! JK JK!

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I keep insurance on my Shelby in the winter even though it does limited driving. If it is nice, I want to take it out.

I can try Heacock. Haggerty quoted me at $1550 a year...more than I am paying with Geico when broken down.

I have Heacock now on my 14 GT500. I had Grundy for over 10 years on my Cobras but they are high for the Shelby. I have an agreed policy for 60K on the Shelby and chose 3K miles a year since I don't drive in the winter months with all the salt in my area. I am paying $775 a year and that is for full liability and collision coverage required in NJ with no Ded. Grundy wanted $1200 for the same.

Marc

Established Member
It looks like separating the Shelby from my current policy and only insuring me is probably going to be the best. Some quotes for people that are looking to maybe change up. These are 1 year premiums:

Haggerty: $1550
Heacock: $970.00
Grundy Worldwide: $870

I will keep updating this list as I get more quotes.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
It looks like separating the Shelby from my current policy and only insuring me is probably going to be the best. Some quotes for people that are looking to maybe change up. These are 1 year premiums:

Haggerty: $1550
Heacock: $970.00
Grundy Worldwide: $870

I will keep updating this list as I get more quotes.

If you are an MCA member, Heacock gives a pretty good discount. Might want to revisit that one if you didn't tell them that. And if you aren't, it's $50 a year well spent. Personally I found the local broker to be the best bet for agreed value insurance.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
for me statefarm has always been cheaper than all the others. they list the primary driver on each vehicle plus you tell them how many miles you drive a year and the rates are based on that as well..

2004Droptop

Established Member
I would shop the whole package, homeowners plus the cars, get the multiline discounts. After 30 years State Farm raised my premiums over the last 5 years without a claim, forced me too look and I ended up saving a lot of money by going to Allstate with the exact same coverage... Actually a little more coverage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread