**** car salespeople

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
The cold hard truth is that without meaningful interaction with the customer, there is no incentive for the dealer to go through the work to generate the number you are looking for. A successful transaction is a 2 way street. I will say, as a guy who has bought my fair share, if I am not having fun with the purchase, why buy from that particular dealer?

I used to have customers come in and absolutely refuse to provide any information about themselves and say give me your bottom on that truck, I always wondered how they thought that approach would accomplish anything. The managers would never give them the "best" price.
good point...but im not looking for the "best" price, just the best price for me. there are times id happily pay a premium to avoid the hassle associated with certain purchases

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
1.) I can make an argument for just about any job to become obsolete. At the end of the day, I want to deal with a salesperson, as I have a real person to get a hold of if I have questions or concerns after the sale.

2.) That dealership sounds like a broken system. No way you should have had that many contacts so quickly from different people. You should receive an email/text opt in within 10 minutes, and if you don't reply a call between 15 and 20 minutes.

3.) I know MOPAR guys. What are you looking for?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Looking at Challengers. Have one in mind in Miami FL that I will ship up. Not interested in talking to anyone. Pinged their email and asked for best price. In last five minutes have gotten three emails from three different salespeople, a VM, and a text. Holy shit. I am straight up abusing them and they keep coming back. I cannot wait for a future in which robots will replace these urchins.

I was poking around for a Focus RS last year and trying to find the dealers that had no markup without doing a lot of work.

The MSRP is listed in the inventory, but no markup obviously. All the dealer pages have a chat box to connect you with an office/sales rep. Anytime I would ask what’s the actual price with or without ADM they would want my full name email phone, etc. then either ask me to come in or bombard me with calls. Even after the calls they would still ask me to come down and chat about the price.

If they would have been up front without wasting my time along with saving me some time I would be a lot more respectful of the sales reps and more likely to go pick one up. As it was I had no time to visit lot after lot.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Anytime I would ask what’s the actual price with or without ADM they would want my full name email phone, etc. then either ask me to come in or bombard me with calls.

The numbers I saw when in sales was they had less than a 1% chance of selling you a car with you giving no information. If a person walks in and tests rides and walks out, they have a less than 5% chance of selling you a car. If you test ride and get numbers and walk, less than 2 or 3%. These numbers are for customers who do not have a long term salesperson they have worked with and bought from before, although their numbers have been getting worse. People just don't put the same stock in dealer loyalty.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
1.) I can make an argument for just about any job to become obsolete. At the end of the day, I want to deal with a salesperson, as I have a real person to get a hold of if I have questions or concerns after the sale.

2.) That dealership sounds like a broken system. No way you should have had that many contacts so quickly from different people. You should receive an email/text opt in within 10 minutes, and if you don't reply a call between 15 and 20 minutes.

3.) I know MOPAR guys. What are you looking for?

Thanks, homie. Have been dealing with Kendall on an srt 392 challenger. Now thinking of hellcat challenger too although if I go this route will hold off until fall.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
The numbers I saw when in sales was they had less than a 1% chance of selling you a car with you giving no information. If a person walks in and tests rides and walks out, they have a less than 5% chance of selling you a car. If you test ride and get numbers and walk, less than 2 or 3%. These numbers are for customers who do not have a long term salesperson they have worked with and bought from before, although their numbers have been getting worse. People just don't put the same stock in dealer loyalty.
...and rightfully so. it has to be a 2 way street

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
...and rightfully so. it has to be a 2 way street
The guys on our sales side of the dealership have DEEEPPPP contact lists. Absolutely get a large volume of one-time customers, but most Lexus salesmen that have been in the game for more than a few years do have regulars. The older guys have fat contacts, with multiple members of the same family coming down to buy from them.

Our store owner is pretty big in Arizona too, the Earnhardt family (not related to Dale). That automatically gets decent traffic through the door.

The common denominator is customer service. Excell at that, and you have a good footing going forward!

olympic

Established Member
Went to a used car lot 2 weeks ago to look at a used 2018 Toyota for use in my business. 25000km, as new condition etc, advertised price $28k CDN. New MSRP on this car is $29500 so I figured they would deal on the price. I looked the car over, went on a 10 minute test drive and then put a certified check on the desk for $26k + tax and they wouldn't take it crying it was below their cost and they wouldn't even budge on the asking price since the car was only on the lot a couple days. I picked up my check and left. I'm not sure what they are smoking thinking they will sell a used car for $1k less than it sold for new...lol! I'll call back in a month and I'm sure their tune will have changed! :D

Blown 89

Established Member
Car dealerships have some of the lowest conversion rates in sales. The bottom line is that it's a broken business model filled with some of the most dishonest simpletons on the planet. Some dealers are evolving and are stopping the ridiculous games but the vast majority continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

noco5.0

Established Member
I've bought and leased a lot of cars and find the process painful. I don't find the one price dealers competitive and the traditional dealers make the process almost unbearable. I have had better experiences with foreign makes VW and Hyundai in particular. Ford and Dodge have been brutal. When I bought my first Hellcat I ended up travelling 500 miles from home to get the car because all of the local dealers were so stupid. I was recently looking at Trackhawks and couldn't get my local dealer to provide any information, so I left them a bad Google review. That did seem to get their attention. It doesn't seem like the business of car sales has changed much in the last 40 years and it needs to in order to survive. This is one of those areas excellent customer service would go a long way.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
It doesn't take me long to realize when someone is trying to play games with me and I walk away.

But, when I find a honest sales rep, I usually go back to that one first.

Sadly, I usually find that they're no longer there.

When the dealership management puts sales figures above customer satisfaction, you tend to have sales staff who will do anything to make a sale, such as lying.

If the management puts customer service first, the sales will eventually follow as they develop a reputation for being fair and honest.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Because it’s a cesspool for people too

Miami is to douchebags as Jerusalem is to christians or Mecca is to muslims. At some point every douchebag must make a pilgrammage there. It is a benetton ad of douchebaggery. There are Cuban douchebags and Jewish douchebags, Haitian douchebags and run of the mill south Florida douchebags. Apparently half the city is now Venezuelan so there are now Venezuelan douchebags. It is now illegal to not always wear an ed hardy shirt with a flat brim hat. It is hell on earth.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Car dealerships have some of the lowest conversion rates in sales. The bottom line is that it's a broken business model filled with some of the most dishonest simpletons on the planet. Some dealers are evolving and are stopping the ridiculous games but the vast majority continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

With all due respect, I get lied to by customers every single day.

I've bought and leased a lot of cars and find the process painful. I don't find the one price dealers competitive and the traditional dealers make the process almost unbearable. I have had better experiences with foreign makes VW and Hyundai in particular. Ford and Dodge have been brutal. When I bought my first Hellcat I ended up travelling 500 miles from home to get the car because all of the local dealers were so stupid. I was recently looking at Trackhawks and couldn't get my local dealer to provide any information, so I left them a bad Google review. That did seem to get their attention. It doesn't seem like the business of car sales has changed much in the last 40 years and it needs to in order to survive. This is one of those areas excellent customer service would go a long way.

Give me a shot next time on a Ford and I'll show you how easy it should be. You wouldn't be my first sale to a Colorado resident.

Users who are viewing this thread