Carbon driveshafts

kodexkustoms

Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up a one piece driveshaft and I'm really leaning towards a carbon fiber dss unit. Any input on them? Are they really worth the extra dough? Really wanting to shed as much rotational mass as this is a n/a car and need all the help I can get.

Thanks
Kody

evil281

Established Member
I did dss cf because I can't get a safety loop that currently works with the MGW Race Spec shifter. Its my understanding that CF is safer if it does fail as it just comes apart vs shooting up into the vehicle.

kodexkustoms

Established Member
I'm glad you brought up the MGW race spec as I plan on also buying one when I purchase my driveshaft so I can put it on when my transmission is out.

I also like the fact that the CF is a smaller diameter cuz I plan on building my custom exhaust and thats just that much more clearance I'll have.

evil281

Established Member
I'm glad you brought up the MGW race spec as I plan on also buying one when I purchase my driveshaft so I can put it on when my transmission is out.

I also like the fact that the CF is a smaller diameter cuz I plan on building my custom exhaust and thats just that much more clearance I'll have.

It's expensive but it sure is pretty and light. If there is some added safety than that's a plus as well.

kodexkustoms

Established Member
True, I've heard they're quieter and smoother than the factory and aluminum version. But my car is so low and so loud I prolly wouldn't notice either.

Rex Racer

Established Member
American Muscle lists the weight of the aluminum one piece as 19lbs and the carbon fiber as 18lbs. Almost $500 difference for a 1lb difference? How does this translate to performance?

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I have the DSS carbon fiber driveshaft. Unit is 2 lbs lighter than an aluminum shaft and is more torsional. Mine doesn't make any noise....

Less rotating mass reduces driveline losses and frees up horsepower.

Rex Racer

Established Member
But how much more between the two?

Mine is a daily driver. Convertible and lowered. Road noise? Eh!

If there is not much difference with a daily driver, i'll shoot for the aluminum one piece and use the difference in price for other mods.

Last edited:

evil281

Established Member
But how much more between the two?

Mine is a daily driver. Convertible and lowered. Road noise? Eh!

If there is not much difference with a daily driver, i'll shoot for the aluminum one piece and use the difference in price for other mods.

It is probably splitting hairs on the performance aspect from alum vs CF, but again I did it because of the safety loop issue mentioned above. $500 in worth for me may be different than you.

By the way I got my CF shaft from CFM off the forum a lot cheaper than AM. I just had to wait for it to be built vs ready in stock. I think it was right around 1k shipped.

Last edited:

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I got lucky and had a coupon code that I was able to compound with Lethal's Christmas special and my loyalty points. Ended up with the big black shaft for around $950 IIRC. Have had it for a year and a half now with no problems :burnout:

kodexkustoms

Established Member
Damn wish I could get it for that price! With the forum code it's like $1,165 shipped from am and $1,2xx from lethal.

ExTurbo

Established Member
I went with CF DSS unit, made a difference in every day driving, car seems to accelerate much easier. Not really any noisier than stock, however I can hear some stuff clunking around when I hit bumps at low speed with the clutch in. not sure if its normal or not.

If I were to do it again id probably go with the aluminum. Just from a cost standpoint and performance I cant imagine would be any worse. If you have the money to spend Id go with the CF, if you have to stretch just go with aluminum.

wolfman311

Established Member
I did dss cf because I can't get a safety loop that currently works with the MGW Race Spec shifter. Its my understanding that CF is safer if it does fail as it just comes apart vs shooting up into the vehicle.

I really wish there was a loop that worked. Kinda killed it for me when i tried to install the loop after the shifter install. I was really ready to hit the track but now i need to find another solution. I've already invested in to the aluminum DS so going CF would not make sense. I've heard that BMR is working on a new loop that is suppose to fit but i have not seen anything out yet.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
The main benefit of a carbon fiber driveshaft over an aluminum drive shaft is the fact that it can flex. When you drop the clutch for example the driveshaft is supposed to twist (storing energy and removing some hit from the tire) and then immediately snap back (re using that stored energy). This works great for a stick shift N/A car.

http://www.jpcracing.com/dss-2011-1...-3-1-4-carbon-fiber-driveshaft-with-cv-900hp/

Last edited:

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
Supposedly BMR is two weeks out on their loop that will fit a MGW Race Spec

dc2r

Established Member
I have the aluminum one, which I bought used for cheap. It's noticably louder with it installed as all the driveline noises that are normally dampened by the stock driveshaft now become apparent. Some days in slow rush hour traffic it tends to get on the nerves. Trying to find a good driveshaft loop was another expense and pain in the ass as well (finally ended up the Blowfish mount with the integrated loop), which i could have avoided with a CF unit. if i could do it again (and had more $) I would have gone carbon fiber.

Users who are viewing this thread