Carbon Fiber Hood PICS! (belts too)

DaTruth

Established Member
Pictures do not always tell the story.. It does look much lighter, but a good camera would distinguish colors well.. Also remember paint adds weight.. You could easily get back up to 30lbs plus with a full paint job negating the weight savings you just acquired.. I would look into some kind of killer Cobra emblem or something that could cover up most of the carbon fiber look, but still let people know you have paid some money for the hood.. This is just my opinion.. Oh John, keep my NEW #'s a secret from the other locals.. I want to really surprise them when I come back out..

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
I take it if I lost 15 pounds that would be the same as paying a grand or so for a hood. :):):)
I lost 20 lbs on the Atkins diet in 2 months, and that was free !!! That hood looks a lot better than my lose pants though ! :lol:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by DaTruth
Pictures do not always tell the story.. It does look much lighter, but a good camera would distinguish colors well.. Also remember paint adds weight.. You could easily get back up to 30lbs plus with a full paint job negating the weight savings you just acquired.. I would look into some kind of killer Cobra emblem or something that could cover up most of the carbon fiber look, but still let people know you have paid some money for the hood.. This is just my opinion.. Oh John, keep my NEW #'s a secret from the other locals.. I want to really surprise them when I come back out..

I suppose you were thinking of this emblem? thats what came to mind when you mention to get a big emblem:xpl:

Last edited:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
ghost - I don't notice any difference in the sound.

Datruth - I would be alittle dissapointed if the paint added alot more weight, I will see what I can find out. And don't worry, your secrets safe with me.

boostfreak07

Established Member
Looks good, I agree on painting it. If it was a DSG it may blend in better and not stand out as much giving it that ricey flare.

There is a guy that has designed functional heat extractor fenders in both metal and carbon fiber. If you are looking for max weight loss, the CF fenders may be another option for you.

Here are the pics of the metal version of the heat extractor fender which are also supposed to be available in CF.

http://www.nichepi.com/heatextractorfender/fender6.jpg
http://www.nichepi.com/heatextractorfender/fender9.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, Kevin, that's a sweet looking hood. I'd love to see one with my own eyes someday soon. It probably would look nice with a 10th Anniversary because of the interior carbon fibre accents.
:beer:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I wouldn't paint the CF. You'll just add some weight back on. I wouldn't paint CF parts for the sake of performance weight savings. The CF look is good.

The only reason I am against getting a CF hood is the fact that it's a front-impact crumple zone. The hood is designed to absorb the impact in the case of a frontal collision. Now you no longer have that crumple-zone, and expect the impact to absorb much more into the lower bumper and probably into the engine - in a worst case scenario.

Mike

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
There may be some truth to that, but think about it, how many 94-01 mustangs have aftermarket hoods. A LOT. If changine your stock hood would really put your engine in harms way, I am sure there would be alot less mustangs out there with aftermarket hoods. I think I will be ok.

N A Rush

Established Member
Hate to do this to you but, could you repost the pics? I think they may have gotten deleted in the mass pic removal.

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

TIA
Eric

jonas

Established Member
Originally posted by ChicagoMike
I wouldn't paint the CF. You'll just add some weight back on. I wouldn't paint CF parts for the sake of performance weight savings. The CF look is good.

The only reason I am against getting a CF hood is the fact that it's a front-impact crumple zone. The hood is designed to absorb the impact in the case of a frontal collision. Now you no longer have that crumple-zone, and expect the impact to absorb much more into the lower bumper and probably into the engine - in a worst case scenario.

Mike

its the fraome that absorbs the brunt of the force not fenders and hoods

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
bassin - I haven't got it painted yet. I put the stock hood back on. The more I looked at it, the more I wanted it black. I called a few places to get a price quote, but until I get it painted I like having the stock hood on. Plus, I was down in Homestead since friday for the Ford event and the Steeda stampede, so I haven't had time to drop the hood off this weekend. As soon as I stop being lazy I will post the pics of it painted.

N A Rush - how about this, just let me know your email address and I will email you all the pics, that way I can just send all of them to you at once.

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
SVTcobra2001 - the fluidyne works just like our stock heat exchanger. The intercooler fluid gets pumped through the fluidyne heatexchanger to be cooled and then after going through the fluidyne the cold coolant gets pumped through the intercooler directly under our supercharger to cool the air being blown out of the supercharger before it gets into the combustion chamber. The difference between the fluidyne and stock is that the fluidyne is wider and holds more coolant so your coolant temps should be lower and help keep the blower air cool.

ox - thanks for your help too, I was getting alittle worried that I would be screwed over, so I really appreciate your help with contact information. Thanks again man :thumbsup:

I am sorry. Let me rephrase the question.. How do you like it. Does it work well for you?

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
SVTcobra2001 - the fluidyne works just like our stock heat exchanger. The intercooler fluid gets pumped through the fluidyne heatexchanger to be cooled and then after going through the fluidyne the cold coolant gets pumped through the intercooler directly under our supercharger to cool the air being blown out of the supercharger before it gets into the combustion chamber. The difference between the fluidyne and stock is that the fluidyne is wider and holds more coolant so your coolant temps should be lower and help keep the blower air cool.

ox - thanks for your help too, I was getting alittle worried that I would be screwed over, so I really appreciate your help with contact information. Thanks again man :thumbsup:

I am sorry. Let me rephrase the question.. How do you like it. Does it work well for you?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Sorry about that, I am very happy with it. I have not done any dyno testing, but it feels like the car doesn't lose as much power as it used to when it gets hot. I am still glad that I have it.

Users who are viewing this thread