Caught a big one!!

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
I'm down in Puerto Vallarta visiting my in-laws and we go fishing a couple times usually as they own a couple of boats and take people out fishing and other activities.
I've caught lots of fish over the years including mahi mahi's, sailfish, jacks but have always wanted a marlin.

Finally landed this Black Marlin after a 3.5 hour battle yesterday!

w21so9.jpg

15cj2hg.jpg

687hbo.jpg

30iyfj7.jpg

6ztx7n.jpg

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Are you going to get it ready for display?

What did it weigh?

The biggest thing I ever caught off SoCal was a black sea bass. 178 pounds. No where near a record. I sold it at the dock to a seafood processor. I got ten pounds of fabulous fillet steaks out of it.

Biggest one ever was caught in 1968 and weighed 563 pounds.

Z06

Established Member
Nice catch man, I remember back in the day my Dad caught a Blue Marlin at 300lbs. At that time, the team held the record for a decade before another tournament winner took it at 325lbs.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
How big was it? We caught a 150 lb blue marlin and a 140 sail fish in Cabo back in October. Had the marlin shipped to the taxidermy, and the sail fish was dinner.

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
Yeah, but did you have it filleted?

Yes, filleted back at the pier and we have made ceviche with it and had some fillets fried for dinner. Gonna take some back home to Vancouver to enjoy.

Are you going to get it ready for display?

What did it weigh?

The biggest thing I ever caught off SoCal was a black sea bass. 178 pounds. No where near a record. I sold it at the dock to a seafood processor. I got ten pounds of fabulous fillet steaks out of it.

Biggest one ever was caught in 1968 and weighed 563 pounds.

Not going to taxidermy this one, wife doesn't want it at home in Vancouver. Gonna get a sailfish for our place in Puerto Vallarta later on.

My brother in law says it was about 100kgs or 220lbs, it took three of us to get it on the back of the boat for the pics.

Dude nice! What rigs were yall running out there? Offshore fishing is a blast but so exhausting.

Live bait and some different lures as we were targeting mahi's, marlins and sailfish. We were out around Corbetena if anyone is familiar with the area, about 40 miles from the marina outside the bay in open water.

Great catch! But 3.5 hours. Wow! You must have been exhausted.

I was getting dehydrated fast, it was hot out. Battled the first two hours and then started swapping back and forth with the first mate. My body is still sore today.

Hope to go out one more time for some mahi's to take home as well.

Last edited:

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
It's very good. Out of the three marlins (striped/blue/black) black is the best eating.
It's right up there with mahi/dorado if you've had that.

Users who are viewing this thread