Cessna engine failure during flight

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
~80 mph is all it takes to get just enough lift to keep him afloat? That’s wild to me.

I always have this weird belief that as soon as a plane gets around 150 mph is falls like a brick, obviously that’s not the case as I’m sure lots of aircraft lift off lower than that.
Some keys #s for Cessna 206

KIAS = (knots of indicated airspeed)
Vs1 (stall w/ no flaps) = 50 kias
Vs2 (stall in landing config) = 39 kias

These are strictly velocities just to generate enough lift to maintain straight and level flight, adding maneuvers is a whole different animal

There's a reason why these light planes are tied down while parked: enough wind over the wings and they can take off on their own

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Is that a real video? It looked to me like it was a simulator or game. The cockpit seemed a little animated and when he put his hand on the dash at 5:50 it doesn’t really look like a real human hand. At the 8:40 mark where you can see his nose it looks animated too

You need to get yours eyes checked.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
what a pilot! that was impressive.

if that was a helicopter they'd all be hanging with Kobe right now...

the gfm, whatever I guess... just not sure why people think insurance would cover a parts failure

yeah people think insurance covers everything and anything lol. i once spoke with a customer who was disputing their property line with the neighbor and wanted the insurance company to pay for his lawyers to sue his neighbor. lol

lol at the GFM people. wish they had that when i was 18 and trying to earn enough $ to mod my car! if people are dumb enough to send money kudos to him. when i get the TF website going again i should put a link to GFM on there so potential customers can have pages to raise funds to pay for their wheels. maybe call it "Sponsor A Customer" page.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Skillzzzzz! I have practiced that and it is not easy. When I miss, I have had the power to try it again. He did not have that and nailed it.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Not really that big of a deal to loose an engine when there's altitude to work with and a runway nearby.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
if that was a helicopter they'd all be hanging with Kobe right now...

Helis can glide in too.

It's called autorotation and it's actually taught to heli pilots.

There is no engine power in this video. All you're hearing is the chassis shaking a bit and the blades and rotor assembly spinning:

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Helis can glide in too.

It's called autorotation and it's actually taught to heli pilots.

There is no engine power in this video. All you're hearing is the chassis shaking a bit and the blades and rotor assembly spinning:

Yup. My buddy flew Blackhawks and he told me during training, his instructor just reached over and shut off the engine. You drop like a stone to get the air to rotate the blades, then use that rotation to provide lift just before you hit.

Your government is lying to you

railroad

Established Member
Would the helicopter blades rotate with rods hanging out the engine. ,,,do not know if the blades can be disengaged from the engine?

MG0h3

Established Member
Would the helicopter blades rotate with rods hanging out the engine. ,,,do not know if the blades can be disengaged from the engine?

They can. Although I’ve never been in a helicopter with pistons….still gotta have a transmission between the engine and rotor.

It’s not too bad. Been a left seater when the pilot practiced it and you only have the falling feeling momentarily but you def hit the top of your harness. First thing they do is drop all collective and nose down to keep air speed up. Then you’re just coming down/forward like a pinwheel. The more air speed and elevation you have when this occurs the better.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MFE

Established Member
~80 mph is all it takes to get just enough lift to keep him afloat? That’s wild to me.

I always have this weird belief that as soon as a plane gets around 150 mph is falls like a brick, obviously that’s not the case as I’m sure lots of aircraft lift off lower than that.

And, a plane like that has a glide ratio of probably 9:1 or so, meaning it can glide 9000 feet forward for every 1000 feet of altitude. If you're at, say, 8000 feet, you have 13 miles of distance to work with in ideal conditions.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s crazy. I know they are light, but that’s crazy.

Like a bird in the wind just hovering…

MG01GT

Established Member
And, a plane like that has a glide ratio of probably 9:1 or so, meaning it can glide 9000 feet forward for every 1000 feet of altitude. If you're at, say, 8000 feet, you have 13 miles of distance to work with in ideal conditions.

So I think your math is pretty solid, but in a Cessna 172 we are trained to pitch for best glide airspeed as that will really dictate how far we can travel. In an engine out case we are shooting for roughly 68 knots. There’s a ton of other factors that can kill the alt and airspeed, but again your pretty spot on and the little 172 is really forgiving aircraft over all. I had head winds while practicing stalls at 4500 ft, and the ****er wouldn’t stall till I was showing about 25 knts indicated lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread