Changing MT-82 Tranny Fluid

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We have a couple different oils to try in the SVTP GT. Have you guys who have made the swap noticed more of an improvement by going with a lighter or heavier (than stock) oil?

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
I went with the fluid specified in the TSB from Ford and have been very happy with the way it feels. Did that in the first 500 miles, and now how have 10,8xx on the car.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I recently had the TSB performed through my dealer. While shift efforts and feel have been improved, it made a transmission that started whining at 4500 miles quite a bit louder.

ViciousJay

Established Member
yes, i still have yet o do this and was on my to do list this weekend. I hear aot of good things about redline and RP. Sid let me know what you use

fake

Established Member
Red Line MTL here. Love it and noticed an immediate notice. It's still not perfect but when you get the fluid warmed up it's butter smooth. Shifting is much smoother when the car is cold also. I no longer have the notchy 1-2 shift & there is no increase in sound. I still have the stock shifter but I do have a JHR shift bracket. The MTL and shift bracket has made all the difference in the world. I changed mine out at 1000 miles. Some have also reported that RL MTL has made the tranny whine go away after a few hundred miles in the RL MTL. I have yet to have any whine in my MT82.

Red Line MTL is lighter than the stock MT82 junk and is a heavier weight than the TSB ford fluid. So basically MTL falls right in the middle between the stock fluid and the TSB fluid.

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
Redline MTL here and it made a real nice difference in cold morning shifting, very smooth

hand-filer

Established Member
Ditto on what the above 2 posters say. For what ever reason it took about 500 km for the improvement to take full effect on my M-82.
The 1-2 shift is now nice and smooth irregardless of how fast or how slow I complete the shift.
Redline MTL, it's the sh!t!

LittleBean

Established Member
Drove a car right after changing to Redline MTL 70W80, noticed an immediate positive difference in engaging 1st, reverse and 1-2 shift.

for ex., when coming to a stop sign, 1st gear can be easily engaged while still slowly rolling up to it instead of feeling like the gate isn't there like it did with the XT-MT-QS

12GTPDX

Established Member
I also switched to Redline MTL and noticed both an immediate improvement as well as continued improvement over the next couple hundred miles.

For me, Redline MTL, JHR shift bracket and JHR billet motor mounts made a day/night difference in the shifting of my car. The motor mounts simply cause the engagement of the engine/tranny to be rock solid and predictable every time -- no more bucking!!

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
I'm going to change mine tomorrow. I'm going to give Royal Purple a shot since I can buy it locally at Pepboys. Do I go with the 75w-90 or Syncromesh or are they the same thing?

wbt

Banned
I'm going to change mine tomorrow. I'm going to give Royal Purple a shot since I can buy it locally at Pepboys. Do I go with the 75w-90 or Syncromesh or are they the same thing?

They are different fluids. Either will work. Synchromesh is a lighter viscosity so it may be better if you live in a colder winter climate. I prefer running the heavier gear oil in the climate I live in.

Users who are viewing this thread